Unplanned vacation - Please help

Helpplease

Earning My Ears
As the title indicates, I need some help from the 'veterans' in the board. Since it's unplanned, budget is very tight. Planning on staying 5-7 days at WDW and would appreciate any input:
Trip: March 28-Apr 3 (end date flexible)

Me, the wife and 2 kids ages 6 and 9
5 day and up tickets (+value disney resort +dining packages if there are ongoing promos)

Thanks in advance for your help. :wizard:

You should probably check the Budget board or the Tips board. There are probably a lot of good ideas there.

First of all, I would use this web-site and Dreams Unlimited to book your reservation. Include a few dining reservation requests and Dreams will take care of that for you.
If budget is tight, I recommend POP Century:hippie: . It's Disney's newest Value Resort and I think not only will your kids love it, so will you. If you're wondering if you need a car ( assume you are flying) ask for a reservation that includes the Magical Express for your transportation back and forth from the airport and WDW.
You know your kids eating habits. Don't be afraid to have them "share" drinks or even entrees. It's just infuriating to throw food ($$$$) away when at Disney! You can purchase refillable mugs at POP good for your entire stay. I shared a mug with one of my kids and that worked ok for us. And I also ordered Kid size breakfast platters for myself because the portion size was just right for me.
This is something I've done every trip, I bring snackspopcorn:: for night-time when we're back at the room. I've brought a whole box of my kids favorite cereal, crackers and Easy Cheese,graham crackers, etc. When you make room for snacks in your luggage, you know you'll have room for any souvenirs.
HAVE A GREAT VACATION!

Thanks for all the help. Sorry I cannot respond to PMs since I'm a newbie. If there are other tips you all can share, please keep them coming. :wizard:

Be aware that spring break can be very crowded. If you have not done so already, read the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World for touring ideas. You can see twice as much if you have a plan.

Also...because you are considering the dining plan (I think it can be a great value) you should try and decide which parks you'd like to do what days and make reservations at the restaurants in those locations. The best restaurants fill up during the busy season and walk ups are often turned away. (Very frustrating if you can't use your table service credits.)

Good luck and have a marvelous time!

Hi & Welcome to the DIS:goodvibes :cheer2:

I am always looking for ways to save and am always on a budget. Here are a couple of my suggestions. If driving, bring along a cooler and use it in your room to keep drinks &/or snacks cold. We took a case of water and a 12 pack of soda. We never used the refillable mugs and we didn't miss them. Every night we would drain the cooler and refill with ice and add what drinks we would want cold the next day. Sounds like a hassle but honestly it took about 5 minutes a day. (If staying at a value there is not a fridge unless you request it and it cost $10 a day)

We purchased milk, cream for coffee, cheese sticks, OJ, etc at home and brought it down with us in the cooler. I also pre measured cereal into baggies and brought along syrofoam bowls. We also had crackers, granola bars and poptarts for snacks. I packed plastic utensils and brought along some plastic cups. We ate breakfast in the room while getting ready or while waiting on the bus. We stayed at POP and there is not a coffee maker so we brought ours from home. I pre-measure the coffee and bagged it at home. I also purchased sugar in a round dispenser and brought my mugs from home. I would wash them out every day...very little hassle and I loved having my french roasted coffee every morning and not having to go to the Food Court. I hear Disney coffee is the pits anyway.;)

We did do the DDP (We loved it) so we would eat an early lunch and then use the table sevice for dinner. You also get a snack each day. We had plenty of food and felt like we got to enjoy whatever we wanted because of the DDP. It is well worth it to me to be able to eat so well and have it already paid for...no worries adding each item up at the rest every meal. Also tax and 18% gratuity is already added. Since you have 2 little ones they would just be $11 per day each on the plan. Believe me that is a deal!!!

I would also give each child a set amount of money to spend. My DH & I told them we would buy them a hat and an autograph book on the first day. Anything else they purchased had to come out of their money. Tell them to look at each shop and think about what they spend the $$$ on. When it is gone - it is gone. My kids were very careful to think about what they spent THEIR money on. SIDENOTE: If you are driving there is a Disney outlet store somewhere close by (search here on the boards) and we found some fantastic deals there.:yay:

Make sure you buy your film, memory cards, batteries at home...very expensive at Disney. :eek: Also make sure to pack any OTC meds like asprin, pepto, cough or cold rememdies from home.

We were on a budget and had the time of our lives. We never felt strapped - we ate like kings, purchased souveniers, and had a blast. You guys will too! If you are doing the DDP make your ADRs soon.:)

I think you may be going during Spring Break time...get some strategies for touring the parks and utilize your FPs. Get up early and hit the parks at opening to beat the crowds. Rule of thumb...when in a crowded line...go left. Either you or your wife grab a FP from one attraction while the rest of you get in line at another.

TIP: Make sure you take everyones ticket to the FP machine. You can use you FP after the time has expired (just not before it starts) and once the time starts you can grab another set of FPs.

Have fun!!!! :woohoo:

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit. Let us know how it goes or if you have anymore questions.

Some really good tips here already.
If you are thinking of using the DDP, I would determine which restaurants you want to eat at for TS ASAP. You are going in a busy time, and folks could start making ADR's 6 months in advance of their dining date. I would insure that the restaurants I want are available before I commited to the DDP.
Take a look at the menus here on the DIS as well as at allearsnet.com. This will help you decide where you would like to eat, as well as give you an idea of the cost of dining at Disney (It is expensive). You can make an ADR now, even if you have not yet purchased the plan. I would worry that this late in the game you might not get all of the ADR's you want. Unused TS credits add to the cost of the plan.
Hope this helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter