Unofficial Disney Guide likes Contemporary, Wilderness and All Star Sports

eshanna

Earning My Ears
I just got the 2007 guide and was reading the section about resorts. The book had good things and bad things to say about each resort, but clearly liked the Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary Resort the most. According to authors and emails from various travelers, the Contemporary has the nicest rooms/best views on WDW property. Animal Kingdom lodge ranked up pretty high. The Carribbean Beach Resort got a lot of complaints, and the authors liked All Star Sports the best from the values. I was kind of surprised by some of what they said about the resorts (although I personally have no opinion from experience, cause it's been a looong time since I've been to WDW). The thing that most surprised me was that the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian were ranked the worst in terms of outside noise (while in the hotel rooms). The authors also said they got many complaints about the Polynesian in the last year, due to a decline in service. Don't know what to make of all this, I got the book to help me decide where to stay, now am more confused! Oh well!

yeah, if decide to really splurge on a deluxe, I would probably pick the contemporary, because it's on the monorail line and the least expensive of the monorail resorts. But I really like the look of the WL, and the BC looks nice too.

The WL is our favorite(so much so, that we own DVC at VWL), but I cannot see the attraction of CR. Get rid of the monorail and you have a Hilton or Westin, with little Disney themeing to speak of. Plop me inside the CR and it looks just like the inside of the Orlando airport lobby area...nice, Yes...Disney, No.

Everyone that I know who goes to the CR goes there for one reason...conferences and meetings, but when it comes time for a vacation at WDW they go somewhere else.

CR and WL are two of our favorites, but CR is the top, for location, room size and convenience, not to mention dining opportunities (all of the monorail).

I know what they've said, but the Poly is still tops in my book.

Also, according to Steve/Tikiman's site, the Poly has been upgraded from a 3 AAA diamond award to a 4 AAA diamond award. In order to get that, the service there must have been upgraded too.

We stayed at the Poly in July of last year and loved it. I'm not sure of publishing dates, but a 2007 book is already well over a year old--probably more than that--and a lot can change in that time. In the 2006 UG, Poly was ranked very high, so things do change.

I'll bet that in the 2008 edition, the Poly will move up.

And in regards to noise, we were in Samoa and never heard any outside noise, so I'm not sure what the UG is reporting about.

We loved the Poly...never noticed any noise and felt it was so nice to stroll to the TTC and use the monorail. It really is a great location!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter