• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal's new dining plan is totally worth it!

It sounds like you got a great deal, OP.

I might consider this for a future trip to try it out.

When sharing information from outside websites, make sure you aren't mentioning one that has been restricted from this website. Some posts will need to be deleted if a restricted company is mentioned. Thank you.

Just for future reference but how would someone know which website is restricted!? Thanks! :)

Just for future reference but how would someone know which website is restricted!? Thanks! :)
I wish there was a listing of restricted websites but there isn't. The only way to tell is when your post is deleted or modified. There is a website that is commonly mentioned on this side of the DIS and any references to that site are prohibited...there are reasons the site is not allowed to be referenced.

I just do not understand how this is a good deal for anyone who likes to eat. They have taken a plan that gave unlimited food and replaced it with 1 meal for nearly the same price.
Snacks are just fillers, ok big deal you get a popcorn, 10 minutes later you are hungry and want a MEAL.
Just not good for our family at all.

That's the info on the $45 dining plan. The quick service plan doesn't seem to have its info up yet.

I just do not understand how this is a good deal for anyone who likes to eat. They have taken a plan that gave unlimited food and replaced it with 1 meal for nearly the same price.
Snacks are just fillers, ok big deal you get a popcorn, 10 minutes later you are hungry and want a MEAL.
Just not good for our family at all.

I think I'm more likely to use this one. I rarely ate in any of the restaurants that were on the old meal deal. Now you can eat pretty much anywhere you want and they've added two snacks and a drink. I think I'd probably save about $1 on the new meal deal...lol

I guess they'll find out pretty quickly what is working and what isn't working.

I would have easily lost money on the old deal. It just wasn't possible for me to eat enough. With this being able to be shared, it makes a huge difference too. If we do the chicken/ribs at FJ, we're at 13.50. Add in a drink with that and we're at 16.00/16.50. Add in an additional drink during the day and we're at 18.50/19.00. Then there's two more snacks we get on top of that - and frozen butterbeer counts for a snack. We won't be using this deal every day, as we often rely on drinks and snacks brought into the parks. But we'll likely use it our first IOA day when we go to Three Broomsticks. Two chicken/ribs dishes plus one kids meal is plenty to feed the 5 of us. We don't usually buy a lot of snacks in the parks, but do indulge in frozen butterbeer - so this plan will save us a lot on that day.

However, if I had hungry teens who would eat and eat, then the old meal deal would have been better. We did do the old meal deal for our two under 10 kids and would have spent the exact same except that cookies came with it so we got those in addition. We had to sprint to find places to eat since the park closed at 6pm when we were there and that alone made us only get it one day. I do enjoying eating, but my appetite is not anywhere near a teen boy so this will work better for us.

*I'm not sure if that 13.50 is accurate for the ribs/chicken, as the rib platter says 15 in the first post and I'm not sure if that's the same thing. However, even with the lower estimate, it will save us money on the day that we MUST have our frozen butterbeers!

anyobody know if passholder discount would apply against this plan? I know when I get the plan and Seaworld or Busch, I do get the 10% discount, so just wondered if that would also be the case at Universal. Still, a decent plan, we may try it out in a couple weeks when we are there.

I just wanted to confirm with anyone who has been recently; can I buy this at the restaurant itself or do I need to pre-purchase before we go? Thanks!

This is a 1 day, pre-paid dining plan. Only good on the day any credit is first used. It would be nice to think that you could accumulate unredeemed snacks and drinks from several days and use them in the future, but no.

I've just returned and have an update on this.

No. The unused credits have NO expiration date. I had three tickets Monday and used 3 meals with drinks and 1 snack. That left me 5 snacks and 3 drinks. I used 1 drink and 2 snacks the following day. No problem.

I checked at three restaurants and guest services. The leftovers can be used a year from now. Everyone told me that this is likely to change with future DP cards but for any purchased now, no expiration.

I'm :confused:

1) Do theses work on Multiple days? Were going for 4 Nights/5 days in Jan. 2 adults; 3 kids 13-10-8 and was thinking of getting dining for 3 days; so if I am reading your update correct that would allow us to use more than the 3 days i
2) How were the portions? specifically the kids, I'm wondering if my 13 yr old will need an adult one,
3) were there many choices at the dinner places or was it a restricted menu?

Thanks in advance.

I'm :confused: 1) Do theses work on Multiple days? Were going for 4 Nights/5 days in Jan. 2 adults; 3 kids 13-10-8 and was thinking of getting dining for 3 days; so if I am reading your update correct that would allow us to use more than the 3 days i 2) How were the portions? specifically the kids, I'm wondering if my 13 yr old will need an adult one, 3) were there many choices at the dinner places or was it a restricted menu? Thanks in advance.

Each adult gives you 1 meal with drink, 2 snacks and another, additional beverage.

If you were to use 1 meal with drink you would have a balance of 2 snacks and 2 beverage. These could be used that day or another day.

The portions were the same as when I was there in September with no dining card (plan), though I did think we had less beans on our Three Broomsticks breakfast ;-)

I don't know how much your 13 year old eats but I the kids meals are fairly typical amounts. We only had one child's meal this time on a day when one wasn't particularly hungry. We had two adult and one child at Thunder Falls. It was more than enough for two adults, a 15 year old and a 13 year old. The kids plate was a leg quarter and fries. For us, with sharing, it was good. YMMV.

Hope that helps!

We used the dining plan 3 days last week. I got the plan for 4 adults and we split it between five people. We did have left over snack and drink credits on the last park day and I used them at Boulangerie pasterie place in the front of US to get delicious cheesecake, giant cookies and hot cocoa. The only issue I had with the plan was I bought one day at a time and ended up with multiple cards for each person. I could not remember which card had what remaining. Next time I will take a sharpie with me to mark what I used on each card.

We were there Nov 10th-16th and when we went in to have lunch at Three Broomsticks they offered to sell us the meal plan right there in the restaurant. So you do not have to buy it in advance. Unless that changes you can buy it there.

Hmmm...we will be there next month. I'll have to look into this!
Is the selection of food good?

Any one know if there is a AAA/CAA discount available
As well are there menu exclusions at the QS restaurants?

I just did the new dining plan today. At first, I thought I wouldn't need it however, given its price it was an awesome deal. It's currently priced at $18.99 plus tax for adults and gives you one quick service meal (with drink), two snacks and an additional beverage. So, out of this deal I got:

Rib platter at 3 Broomsticks (14.99) plus Apple Cider (I think 2.99 - forgot to check)
Frozen Butterbeer as snack (4.29)
Death by Chocolate cake (5.29)
Diet Coke (2.99)
(all prices plus tax...)

Now do the math and check how much that all adds up to! Universal is doing a great job though first asking you what quick service meal you want and then suggesting to get the meal plan because overall it might be cheaper

Just thought I'd share this with you guys since I haven't seen a post yet.

What restaurants is it valid at? I just wanna do some menu searching and try to get the best bang for our buck!
It looks like Three Broomsticks is the place to go for IOA.
What about U.S?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter