Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Unfortunately DHS has strayed far away from the movie set theme. It was my favorite.

And yet Star Tours is still setup to look like a set.... it does confuse folks why the backside of the trees and the ATA are exposed like they are.

That and the Indian show are really the only Studio type attractions left.... and if they convert Dino to Indy???

It looks absolutely fantastic and we can't wait to be there and experience it. If premier hotel/unlimited express remains for Helios then that will do us, however if there is no express for the opening year maybe Helios guests will get early entry, after hour entry until express passes are valid - they should offer something for the premium hotel guests if express is being held back for later. That said, with only 1 premier hotel, maybe those guests could possibly have the unlimited express, if they are the only ones it wouldn't cause any major waiting issues.
I'm torn. Grand Helios looks amazing, but I really value walkability and so I like to stay at Royal Pacific, where I can walk to US and IOA. I hate being beholden to a bus. It seems like no matter what, to get into all 3 parks, you'll need to take some form of transportation at some point, rather than being able to walk.

To be consistent, that's true of Disney as well. You have to get on a boat, a gondola, a bus, a monorail, or POV to at least two of the parks, regardless of where you stay.

Some Uni folks may split stay at Royal Pacific/Helios and just plan their park days around that. I'm bound and determined that our first visit will include a stay at Helios. The price point will determine whether it is for one, two, or three nights. I love the idea of walking right into the new park from the hotel. All four lands have interest for my family and I, but I am personally most excited about Universal Monsters (I know they are calling it Dark Universe).

There is a lot of good discussion in here about changing tastes across generations. Disney has had a stranglehold for so long, I think they really started to think it was an input and not an outcome. I also think the Marvel boom of 2008 - 2019 (with the mini-Star Wars boom of 2015/2016) really created a bubble that made them think they were ironclad. Both of those properties stumbled pretty badly, right as Disney really committed to price hikes and services reduction (Magical Express, etc).

Now Universal is introducing a new major Park (the first since 2000's IoA) in Orlando. And it was announced YEARS ago. And Disney's plan to compete was: a Tiana retheme of Splash Mountain and some Blue Sky presentations at D23?!? I love Disney, but I think 2025 and 2026 are going to be VERY hard years for them wrt shareholders. Disney is still Disney, but the trendlines are all going to go some bad directions, and with how long it takes them to introduce and build new attractions, Universal is going to get a few YEARS to eat away at market share. As someone who loves Disney, that THRILLS me. Competition breeds innovation and value.

To be consistent, that's true of Disney as well. You have to get on a boat, a gondola, a bus, a monorail, or POV to at least two of the parks, regardless of where you stay.

Some Uni folks may split stay at Royal Pacific/Helios and just plan their park days around that. I'm bound and determined that our first visit will include a stay at Helios. The price point will determine whether it is for one, two, or three nights. I love the idea of walking right into the new park from the hotel. All four lands have interest for my family and I, but I am personally most excited about Universal Monsters (I know they are calling it Dark Universe).

There is a lot of good discussion in here about changing tastes across generations. Disney has had a stranglehold for so long, I think they really started to think it was an input and not an outcome. I also think the Marvel boom of 2008 - 2019 (with the mini-Star Wars boom of 2015/2016) really created a bubble that made them think they were ironclad. Both of those properties stumbled pretty badly, right as Disney really committed to price hikes and services reduction (Magical Express, etc).

Now Universal is introducing a new major Park (the first since 2000's IoA) in Orlando. And it was announced YEARS ago. And Disney's plan to compete was: a Tiana retheme of Splash Mountain and some Blue Sky presentations at D23?!? I love Disney, but I think 2025 and 2026 are going to be VERY hard years for them wrt shareholders. Disney is still Disney, but the trendlines are all going to go some bad directions, and with how long it takes them to introduce and build new attractions, Universal is going to get a few YEARS to eat away at market share. As someone who loves Disney, that THRILLS me. Competition breeds innovation and value.
Oh for sure! This is also my least favorite aspect of Disney and part of the reason I prefer Universal. I really value walkability. I went to Disneyland beginning of January and was amazed at how much less stressful it is to do Disney when you don't have to wait an hour and a half to get on a boat to go home after Magic Kingdom closes.

I really think Universal is going to clobber Disney with the opening of Epic Universe, and this has been building for a long time, ever since they opened Hagrid's and Velocicoaster.

I'm torn. Grand Helios looks amazing, but I really value walkability and so I like to stay at Royal Pacific, where I can walk to US and IOA. I hate being beholden to a bus. It seems like no matter what, to get into all 3 parks, you'll need to take some form of transportation at some point, rather than being able to walk.
I hear you - I often walked from RPR, Aventura, SF etc.. Also from HRH and Portofino occasionally.

On my recent stays I was at Dockside, so I had to use the bus. I was blown away by how good and frequent there were.
No matter the time of day I went back to the room there was always a bus waiting.
In contract, I also stayed at Aventura on the trip and recall waiting on the bus more than once and seeing the Dockside bus waiting.

At this point Dockside is my goto, and I assume the new hotels will be the same - they don't want the Disney Zombies to be able to point out the headache of traveling between the parks by bus, while ignoring what a PITA is is to get to AK.

I feel that once Epic Universe has opened, they will use it;s popularity to start work at Studios. The park will absolutely need the new IPs added to level it up to the other 2.
Yeah they have needed to do something with the Sinbad area for years.

They may have big plans, but are just keeping their powder dry. No need to make an official announcement yet.
When (if) Disney makes a big announcement, like they are going to retheme carousel of progress to some Disney move no one cares about. ;)

IF they then announce Pokemon or Zelda they will knock Disney right out of the news cycle.

IMO the only thing Disney can do is to announce something BIG with the Star Wars movies people actually care about, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Very True. Disney tends to lean on easy solutions when they are resting on their Laurels. And they think they can just charge and charge and people will keep coming. They have no reason to not believe that would keep happening because they are right raise prices across the board and people keep coming. But I think they have gone to far and may be hitting a price celing

Very True. Disney tends to lean on easy solutions when they are resting on their Laurels. And they think they can just charge and charge and people will keep coming. They have no reason to not believe that would keep happening because they are right raise prices across the board and people keep coming. But I think they have gone to far and may be hitting a price celing
They know they have reached that ceiling already, they had more discounts and offers last year than ever before - the parks were empty for many days last year and yet their aim is to build even more hotels, not to increase capacity with extension lands and more rides.

Disney parks need a complete overhaul management wise, those in charge are simply looking at income, there is no thought for customer experience or satisfaction any more.

We're staying at Universal (RP) for 15 nights in December and won't go anywhere near a Disney park - they are a complete rip off now & Universal offer so much more for so much less.

For those of us who grew up on Disney movies and theme park experiences, that is true. What Disney should be VERY worried about is the generation growing up where Disney movies are no longer the must-do, everyone-sees-them events they used to be, and where Disney theme park vacations (due to rising prices, declining quality, or a combination of the two) are no longer an annual family tradition. Universal seems poised to become the Orlando vacation of choice for many people where today's kids are going to build their nostalgia, and where they'll want to take their own kids in coming decades.
Agreed, Dreamworks and Illuminations have really stepped up and becoming big for kids now, at least as much as Disney. Plus if the Frisco park does well I could see them build more small kids parks around. This will build more brand loyalty for kids with Universal as they have experienced these parks and when they get older they will want their families to go to Universal instead of Disney so they can see the bigger lands and ride the bigger rides now. Disney still holds more nostalgia factor at the current moment but Universal is really gaining ground there for the newer generations so Disney won't be able to rest on that alone either.
I feel that once Epic Universe has opened, they will use it;s popularity to start work at Studios. The park will absolutely need the new IPs added to level it up to the other 2.
Epic's construction seemed to have this in mind as they earmarked lots of space in the new area for offices and storage to open up more areas around Studios and IoA for future expansion. So I do think that there will be lots of upgrades and expansions of the Studios park after EU opens. IoA will likely get their Lost Continent retheme too pretty soon after, but agree Studios needs the most attention.

They know they have reached that ceiling already, they had more discounts and offers last year than ever before - the parks were empty for many days last year
Yet Attendance and Profit went up, according to their reports backed by actual data.

There were very few discounts last year, and they're still not back to their pre-pandemic level of discounts.

Empty parks from the July 4th week again? Seriously, how many of you were physically there during that time? It's not funny to keep repeating a false narrative.

Ok, back to discussing the exciting news about Epic Universe.

Yet Attendance and Profit went up, according to their reports backed by actual data.

There were very few discounts last year, and they're still not back to their pre-pandemic level of discounts.

Empty parks from the July 4th week again? Seriously, how many of you were physically there during that time? It's not funny to keep repeating a false narrative.

Ok, back to discussing the exciting news about Epic Universe.
A decrease at Walt Disney World Resort reflecting a modest decrease in revenues and higher costs. These impacts were due to:
Lower volumes due to decreases in attendance and occupied room nights, both of which reflected the comparison to the 50th anniversary celebration in the prior-year quarter
Higher costs due to inflation, partially offset by cost saving initiatives and lower depreciation
Increased guest spending due to higher average ticket prices, partially offset by lower average daily room rates

That's from yesterday's earnings report. Yes WDW attendance was down.

They know they have reached that ceiling already, they had more discounts and offers last year than ever before - the parks were empty for many days last year and yet their aim is to build even more hotels, not to increase capacity with extension lands and more rides.

Disney parks need a complete overhaul management wise, those in charge are simply looking at income, there is no thought for customer experience or satisfaction any more.

We're staying at Universal (RP) for 15 nights in December and won't go anywhere near a Disney park - they are a complete rip off now & Universal offer so much more for so much less.
Lol, Disney is going to be just fine.

If EU is as amazing as everyone thinks it will be, probably the first parks it will draw from are USF and IoA. I can totally see people hitting the HP stuff and Velocicoaster at the other 2 parks, and calling them done.

If Universal does in fact draw huge sums of people away from Disney, the resulting lower crowds and inevitable incentives will draw them back.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy the much lower crowds at WDW, if in fact that happens. And will definitely hit up EU once the early massive crown levels die down.

If EU is as amazing as everyone thinks it will be, probably the first parks it will draw from are USF and IoA. I can totally see people hitting the HP stuff and Velocicoaster at the other 2 parks, and calling them done.

If Universal does in fact draw huge sums of people away from Disney, the resulting lower crowds and inevitable incentives will draw them back.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy the much lower crowds at WDW, if in fact that happens. And will definitely hit up EU once the early massive crown levels die down.
Not if there is nothing new at the parks.

IMO EU will also draw people from DHS, Epcot and AK. MK will do fine. Adding EU makes Universal a 5 day visit instead of the 2 to 3 day visit it is now.

They know they have reached that ceiling already, they had more discounts and offers last year than ever before - the parks were empty for many days last year
We were at Disney 3 times last year during more traditionally 'slower' times, and I sure do wish we would have seen days where the parks were 'empty'. I'm not so sure that's an accurate statement - although it's tough to define. We were just at WDW in Jan, typically our trip with the lowest crowds - and it was the most crowded Jan trip we can ever recall. The only empty days seem to be those washout rainy/stormy days, or the 150 degree heat of mid to late August!

We also enjoyed a couple days at Universal - also busy and crowded. We enjoy both WDW and Univ - a lot. But Epic Universe is the first thing Universal has done that has us thinking about staying there more than 2 nights. I hope Disney does respond with something new and unique. I hope both locations push each other to newer and more fun stuff every year!!

This is my opinion as well. I think EU will draw some attendance from Disney but it will have a bigger effect on UO/IOA. I usually take a day or two to hit up both parks while I'm in Orlando for the week but will instead use those days and go to EU.

Disney will continue reporting record high revenue and profit at the parks. They have already stated plans for expansion and have stated a ton of investment into the parks over the next ten years. I understand people want but I would rather enjoy EU for a few years and than enjoy whatever Disney does in Dinoland or behind Big Thunder.

Epic's construction seemed to have this in mind as they earmarked lots of space in the new area for offices and storage to open up more areas around Studios and IoA for future expansion. So I do think that there will be lots of upgrades and expansions of the Studios park after EU opens. IoA will likely get their Lost Continent retheme too pretty soon after, but agree Studios needs the most attention.
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. Near Epic Universe, there will be space for offices and storage. The long term goal is to move offices and storage away from Studios and IoA, and then develop the land/area around the existing parks (Studios and IoA) with attractions/shows/food/other fun stuff. If that is the case, I like this plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter