Universal's 3rd theme park (Universal and WB close to a deal)

boscfan

Mouseketeer
I've been hearing that Universal needs more licensed properties for their new park and is close to a deal with WB to get them. For some reason Universal has no problem with Six Flags being able to use the properties as well. Perhaps because they don't currently have one in Florida. Universal in the agreement wouldn't be able to use the characters outside the states or in California. The deal would include being able to to use the following characters in the new Universal park in their respective lands.

D.C. Land - Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash
Looney Tunes - Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner, Tweety
Hanna Barbera - Flintstones, Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear

Plus they already own two other major properties

DreamWorks - Shrek, Panda, How to train your Dragon and Madagascar
Nintendo - Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon

Last edited:
I've been hearing that Universal needs more licensed properties for their new park and is close to a deal with WB to get them. For some reason Universal has no problem with Six Flags being able to use the properties as well. Perhaps because they don't currently have one in Florida. Universal in the agreement wouldn't be able to use the characters outside the states or in California. The deal would include being able to to use the following characters in the new Universal park in their respective lands.

DreamWorks - Pets, Shrek, Panda and How to train your Dragon
Nintendo - Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong

My kingdom for a Gotham City with the same level of detail as Diagon Alley.

I would love to see Looney Tunes given a good shot at life. I haven't seen anything about this yet either.

Uhhhhh, I'm pretty sure Six Flags is contracted with DC and Looney Tunes. Both sets of characters/IPs appear in their parks. I guess it could be possible to restrict the usage to FL, comparable to the Marvel contracts between Disney and Uni.

Without a good source I'm wary about this.

(I noticed you mentioned the Six Flags part in the OP...not sure how this would play out though.)

It sounds pretty cool, it's like Islands of Adventure part 2.

I would love to see what Universal can do with the Joker. I saw an animatronic of him in some other country's park, it was amazing. Plus Universals animatronics have gotten a lot better the last couple of years, so I'm sure it could be even better.

Last edited:
Oh my bad, this is the Joker animatronic I was thinking about. It is in America, at Six Flags in Texas and St Louis. Pretty cool for parks that usually consist of mostly carnival rides.

I'm sorry, but I can't really say. It is a reliable source though that has divulged secrets in the past.
I'm not doubting your source but if this "deal" was close to being done than it would be out there somewhere else like the universal blogs and such. I haven't seen anything. Considering they just got dreamworks and have marvel rights this just doesn't seem all that likely. If this is a secret too I wouldn't be posting this kind of stuff on here since it could potentially hurt your friend in some way. Disney and universal do have people that read message boards to look for leaks. I have almost gotten someone in trouble because of that.

The Universal contract with Marvel states that Marvel can cancel the contract if Universal does anything to hurt the Marvel brand. I would think Disney would be fight this hard. Opening a third gate with DC characters would muddy the brand especially when they are advertising both brands at their parks.

The deal would include being able to to use the following characters in the new Universal park in their respective lands.

DreamWorks - Pets, Shrek, Panda and How to train your Dragon
Nintendo - Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong

Pretty awesome potential. Now the possibilities for Uni's new block of land are in sharper focus. At least, as sharp as a cloud of hypothetical speculation can be.

But of course we all knew Uni didn't buy that land just to build condos on, or run a herd of beef cattle, or grow oranges.

Somehow, I get the feeling that Disney would not have popped for building big (ish) additions to DHS if it wasn't for the knowledge that contrary to Iger's boast, yes as a matter of fact there IS an arms race brewing in Orlando theme parks.

I don't think that Disney can afford to have any more ugly stepsister parks that people only want to visit because of their $15 extra add-on day.

My first thought was six flags already had those licenses. I believe that's why they were never included when Islands was built, because they were SO close to being added and that was the final nail in the coffin. Not to mention I believe Warner still owns a stake in the six flags parks. Fully controlled by Warner unlike potter and beetle juice also hurts the chances of the looney tunes and DC comics in those parks

Not to mention, universal doesn't need anymore licensed properties. Don't they have enough already in there vaults as well they could use?

My first thought was six flags already had those licenses. I believe that's why they were never included when Islands was built, because they were SO close to being added and that was the final nail in the coffin. Not to mention I believe Warner still owns a stake in the six flags parks. Fully controlled by Warner unlike potter and beetle juice also hurts the chances of the looney tunes and DC comics in those parks

Not to mention, universal doesn't need anymore licensed properties. Don't they have enough already in there vaults as well they could use?
Yes they have properties and just got another with the secret life of pets hit. Universal doesn't need DC or looney toons. Looney toons isn't even very popular with today's generation of kids.

Yes they have properties and just got another with the secret life of pets hit. Universal doesn't need DC or looney toons. Looney toons isn't even very popular with today's generation of kids.

I was going to say the same, kids don't watch looney tunes now. Too much violence and slapstick for parents in my generation.

This just seems a little off. Last I heard Universal was trying to get theme park rights to Star Trek and LOTR. The latter being a no go since Christopher Tolkien is something that cannot be said on a family message board.

Absolutely. Although I would love to see the Looney Tunes done justice in a theme park
This just seems a little off. Last I heard Universal was trying to get theme park rights to Star Trek and LOTR. The latter being a no go since Christopher Tolkien is something that cannot be said on a family message board.
Isn't it allegedly true that the Tolkien estate hates the Jackson movies? Granted I heard that from screamscape but that could be the reason why we never see a LOTR attraction.

After walking away I kept thinking about the original concepts for Toon Lagoon and how they should use the licenses they already have, and that they were going to use. I believe they still do have the rights to the Hanna-Barbera characters as well as the Nicktoons (although it could just be the two characters that are still in the park of there's for all we know). That would be awesome to see! I know that flintstones parade they had planned for when Islands first opened was neat as well as the Nicktoons game they had planned

I think that Looney Tunes could be revived if handled right. Age has nothing to do with it, just look at Mickey and the gang and the Pooh group. Looney Tunes just needs someone to bring them back in the right way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter