• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal with an ECV?

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone, hoping some folks with experience using an ECV at Universal/IOA could give me some feedback about their experience. I had hoped to invite my dad, who was in a car accident that damaged his spine, to Disney this year for Christmas, but have decided that Universal will be better until things at Disney return to semi-normal. I know that WDW is very accommodating of ECVs but I know less about Universal in that regard. Their website says that guests in ECVs can transfer to manual wheelchairs at the queues so they can use them in line, then return to their ECVs after they ride. Is that still the case? How has that gone with sanitizing things for COVID? My dad wouldn't ride anything jerky but he could certainly go on some of the dark rides, Hogwarts express, and just generally enjoy getting to spend time with his grandsons at a park we last went to together when I was 9 (and I still have the Jaws photo to prove it!) But while he can walk with a cane, I don't want him to be in pain. So long as he could use an ECV most of the time and then just have to walk a bit to load/unload from rides and enter restaurants, I think he would be fine. We would spend a lot of time in WOHP, how are the cobblestones and walkways there with ECVs? Can you use them on the boats to and from the resorts? Sorry for the long winded post, but I appreciate hearing your thoughts if you or a loved one has used an ECV at UO/IOA

I recently returned home from UO and my granddaughter used the ecv rental from the parks

can’t think of any ride she had to transfer to, that had any issues

She did not have any issues with the ecv in the Potter cobble stone sections.

the ecv was wiped down before she sat in it so we did see it was sanitized before she used it

the rides and shows we did, had zero issues

She uses a chair in her everyday life and it was easier for us to go with a rental than bring the one from home.

boats were not an issue for us
A ramp board is put down so she could ride the chair into the boat.

pm me if you have any questions

My dh has been to Universal and Disney with an ecv. He has a bad back. He walks in everday life but is retired so he can pace himself with shopping and daily life. Theme parks are very different. For example, just the walk from parking lot thru security and ticket styles is his limit. He can tranfer easily from ecv to ride, however be very careful with that because the tm's are young and dont really get how hard it is for certain people to stand and wait. They told my husband he could leave his evc and wouldn't need it for shrek pre show. Huge mistake. He was in so much pain standing thru that. He could have taken it into pre show. Make sure your dad isnt talked out of taking ecv into ALL the preshow areas. They can be so miserable for standing challenged people. I can't stress that enough. They will tell you "the attraction is very close", not true! Unless u can see boarding, don't let your dad turn over his ecv too soon. He will have a great time just dont trust the tm's!

Ok, i forgot to add, in case you weren't sure, if you rent ecv in the park, you can't keep overnight at resorts. So get one outside parks for length of your trip. You can take an ecv rented in the park to city walk.

Make sure your dad isnt talked out of taking ecv into ALL the preshow areas. They can be so miserable for standing challenged people. I can't stress that enough. They will tell you "the attraction is very close", not true! Unless u can see boarding, don't let your dad turn over his ecv too soon. He will have a great time just dont trust the tm's!

Yes... THIS! We just returned from a 3-day weekend at Portofino Bay and used 2 scooters from Buena Vista. We walked lots more than we expected and some of the "not-so-far-away" queues are ramps, not flat. (Hagrid's is insane for mobility challenged quests!) Also, many of the queues are dark with quick turns, which are difficult.

Universal tolerates ECV's. Yes, they have wheelchairs to use as transfers but you need someone that can push you a long way. There aren't a lot of elevators or easy accessible routes within the lines. It isn't Disney. They won't touch them or move them at any time. Parking is not always close, either. We have used them on VIP tours and the guides don't know how to handle guests on ECVs.

I'm happy to push him in a wheelchair in queues if they are easier to navigate with wheelchairs than ECVs. I would just want to know that they are being cleaned between guests and that we can easily reclaim the ECV after the ride.

I did not see them clean between guests but that doesn't mean they didn't do it. You park the ECV and get it from where you left it. They don't touch them or move them

My husband uses his own ECV. We actually drive to Florida from MA because we have a lift in the car. We have been to Disney LOTS of times and we are currently AP holders at Universal.

Disney is better at ECV's than Universal, simply because you can take the ECV to the ride itself. You can't do that at Universal except for a few shows. (The new show, Bourne Stuntacular, allows you to ride your ECV in and watch the show with it.)

Universal has wheel chairs that they want you to transfer to to go through the Queues. As someone mentioned above, you have to have someone in your party that can push, and Hagrid's line is so long and has so many different hills it is like running a marathon. I'm in my mid-50's and could do it. I tell you though, don't rush through it like I did the first time. You eventually come to a line anyhow so don't worry about going fast.

Now, you may ask, why are we AP Universal passholders rather than Disney passholders? Cost is a big factor. Butter beer ice cream is another. We LOVE Harry Potter world, really admire JK Rowling, and can just bask in the ambiance of all things Potter, and that is fine to experience with an ECV.

I would say go to Universal if you have someone in your party that can push, and if your party can transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair.

Are you staying onsite? Would you be renting and ECV? We stay offsite, park, and bring our own ECV.

Hello everyone, hoping some folks with experience using an ECV at Universal/IOA could give me some feedback about their experience. I had hoped to invite my dad, who was in a car accident that damaged his spine, to Disney this year for Christmas, but have decided that Universal will be better until things at Disney return to semi-normal. I know that WDW is very accommodating of ECVs but I know less about Universal in that regard. Their website says that guests in ECVs can transfer to manual wheelchairs at the queues so they can use them in line, then return to their ECVs after they ride. Is that still the case? How has that gone with sanitizing things for COVID? My dad wouldn't ride anything jerky but he could certainly go on some of the dark rides, Hogwarts express, and just generally enjoy getting to spend time with his grandsons at a park we last went to together when I was 9 (and I still have the Jaws photo to prove it!) But while he can walk with a cane, I don't want him to be in pain. So long as he could use an ECV most of the time and then just have to walk a bit to load/unload from rides and enter restaurants, I think he would be fine. We would spend a lot of time in WOHP, how are the cobblestones and walkways there with ECVs? Can you use them on the boats to and from the resorts? Sorry for the long winded post, but I appreciate hearing your thoughts if you or a loved one has used an ECV at UO/IOA
So, I'm wondering have you traveled yet? How was it? I recently broke my ankle and will need to use an ECV for my upcoming trip to HHN at Universal Studios. I know I have to transfer to a wheelchair in the lines, and my husband can push the wheelchair for me (poor guy). I have never gone to HHN before and wondered if any of you had any tips for us to get through the night? I purchased HHN express pass, and the stay early and scream ticket, so we could try and do all the houses. Is it a long walk from where you park your ecv to the line? If so I may have to use a wheelchair all the time instead for that evening. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

So, I'm wondering have you traveled yet? How was it? I recently broke my ankle and will need to use an ECV for my upcoming trip to HHN at Universal Studios. I know I have to transfer to a wheelchair in the lines, and my husband can push the wheelchair for me (poor guy). I have never gone to HHN before and wondered if any of you had any tips for us to get through the night? I purchased HHN express pass, and the stay early and scream ticket, so we could try and do all the houses. Is it a long walk from where you park your ecv to the line? If so I may have to use a wheelchair all the time instead for that evening. Any advice would be very gratefully received.
I am interested in knowing this as well. We go at the end of October. If you have details before that I would love to know any information.

I haven't traveled yet, our planned trip is in December, but we haven't decided 100% that we're going, and I don't think we'll be inviting my father after all, because he has many comorbidities with Covid and even having had his booster shot I don't think he'll be comfortable visiting a theme park in Florida anytime soon.

I haven't traveled yet, our planned trip is in December, but we haven't decided 100% that we're going, and I don't think we'll be inviting my father after all, because he has many comorbidities with Covid and even having had his booster shot I don't think he'll be comfortable visiting a theme park in Florida anytime soon.
Sorry you don't get to enjoy the trip with your Dad. But its probably a wise move on his part. I think we are all wishing that COVID would give us all a break and just leave already. Hopefully things will be better by December, so you don't miss out on your trip. :grouphug:

OP lots of good info here!

one suggestion is to avoid the clunky park ECVs. Three wheeled ones are so much easier to use, smaller turning radius is invaluable in tight spaces…especially the stores & on the boats

highly recommend gold mobility for quality of the ecv and great customer service. They have customizable options for 2baskets or walker holder etc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter