Universal Studios thrill rides and bags

Aardvarks

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I am about to take my extended crew to WDW and Universal. To capture the memories I have treat myself to an MFT or CSC camera. I can carry this neat little camera in a waist pack (fanny pack/bum bag). Am I going to have to place it in a locker at the roller coaster rides in US and IOA?

I have read conflicting advice. My other alternative is my old compact which sits in a cam-shell case on the belt of my shorts...would this be allowed on the thrill rides.

My crew want to get the most out of US and IOA and we are travelling at the last two weeks of August 2015.

Thanks

Varkie

Yes, you will have to stow your camera in a locker at certain attractions.

http://touringplans.com/universal-orlando/lockers#

"Universal enforces a mandatory locker system at its big thrill rides. Small lockers (approx. 9.5” wide x 11.5” high x 17” deep) outside these attractions are free for an amount of time that varies with the length of the standby line. So if the line is 30 minutes, for example, and the ride itself is 10 minutes, you get 40 minutes plus a small cushion of about 15 minutes. The lockers then cost $3 for each half-hour after that, with a $20 daily maximum.

Free short-term lockers are located at the following attractions:

Universal Studios Florida Free Short-Term Lockers
  • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
  • Revenge of the Mummy
  • MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
  • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Islands of Adventure Free Short-Term Lockers
  • The Incredible Hulk Coaster
  • Dragon Challenge
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
On most of the above rides, all bags, purses, and other objects too large to be secured in a pocket must be placed in a free locker during your ride; wallets, cell phones, and compact cameras are generally permitted, as are small hip belts or fanny packs that can be securely fastened and tucked beneath a shirt.

In 2015, Universal began strictly enforcing a “no loose items” policy at The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Dragon Challenge. At these rides, guests are required to pass through an airport-style security screening (complete with walk-through metal detectors and electronic scanning wands) to ensure no phones, keys, or even spare change enter the queue. You should be permitted to keep your prescription eyeglasses and ticket lanyard."

You might want to join us over on the Universal section of these boards if you have other questions about the Universal parks. There's a ton of great information there. You can get there here:

http://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-studios-islands-of-adventure-forums.30/

They were strict on everything going in lockers this time. On a lot of the coasters now they have airport style metal detectors you have to walk through. I think there have been a few incidents of people being hit by objects on rides.

Agree with both above. Whatever you choose fanny pack or a clip on camera, you will have to store it all. The detectors installed will pick it up and turn you back. DD and DS were just there after they installed them and said they were very on top of everyone and nothing was getting through, even if hidden.

It's really no big deal, the lockers are right there, and free for the ride time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter