Universal/Sea World 6/15-6/20 n00bs!!!

tweak89

Mouseketeer
Well, after 3 trips to WDW in the past 4 years we (wife and I) wanted to switch things up and are going to Universal/IoA and Sea World/Discovery Cove for the first time.

Anyway, I'm a planner so here is what we have going on:

Fri. 06/15: late arrival, Check in at RPR
Sat. 06/16: Universal/IoA (Taking in the ZZ Top concert that night too. Born and raised in Texas and never seen the Little 'ol Band from Texas before :laughing:)
Sun. 06/17: Universal/IoA
Mon. 06/18: Sea World (w/VIP tour)
Tue. 06/19: Discovery Cove (no Dolphin swim-I'll be snorkeling around until they kick me out!)
Wed. 06/20: Universal/Ioa (Catch our favorites before we depart for our 6pm flight)

Sea World and Discovery Cove won't go too far into the evenings, so we may squeeze in the Luau at RPR as well as dining at City Walk (and mini golf for sure!).

Early Entry and Express Pass perks from the resort has allowed some looser planning as far as our touring plans for both Universal Parks. The VIP perks (unlimited dining, express pass and VIP seating at 3 shows) at Sea World are also giving us a lot of latitude there.

I'll be trying to do daily updates for those that may be interested. Photos will be posted here: Photobucket Link

Here we are in Chicago earlier this year (Six Flags Great America was fun!):

577382_2775322881037_152764917_n.jpg

Well, everything has been packed since yesterday and we finally tracked down some pocket sized disposable ponchos to take with us.

I'll be posting on the go from my phone, so I will probably just include a photobucket link in each post since it is easier to upload photos there when on the run.

Hopefully we'll catch Despicable Me soft open when we are there!

Photobucket Link

Well, the eagle had landed! In our Tiffany town car headed to the Royal Pacific....next update from either Studios or Island!

Aah, taking a lunch break at Margaritaville so thought I'd givea quick update.

Started out early today, in line about 7:30. Got in about ten minutes early enough that FJ want quite ready for passengers yet! Ride that, Hippogriff, Dragon Challenge (both sides).

Headed over to Super Hero Island and took in Spiderman, Hulk and Doom. Asher that e kind of wandered and got on things that looked interesting as the crowds were still pretty light. Took in Jurassic Ride, several rides Seuss Landing.

Soaked on the Bilge Rat Barges...yeah for waterproof cameras!
IMGP0477.jpg

After that we decided to take a break for lunch.

I'm uploading some pics will be viewable at the photobucket link in the original post.

I'll post some more detailed impressions after the ZZ Top concert tonight!

LATE UPDATE:

Headed back to IoA after lunch. Took in a few rides then decided to head back to our room for a bit of rest. Had dinner onsite then went back to IoA and rode Spidey, Jurassic and FJ before going over to Studios for the concert.

Despicable Me WAS open, but over an hour wait, so we skipped that and headed to Rip Ride Rocket. We decided to nix staying for ZZ Top as the crowd was huge and we would not have seen much.

So after our first day here are a few tidbits. Certainly a different feel to the resort and parks compared to Disney. More of a leisurely pace for sure. Nice to be able to walk everywhere. So far, my favorite ride is a toss up between Spiderman an FJ. Just a great immersive atmosphere on both. We rode pretty much everything we wanted to ride.

The only hiccups on the day were with Ripsaw Falls and Rip Ride Rocket. Both had slight delays while we were waiting in line. Nothing major.

Well that's it for now! :banana:

Early opening at Studios? Yes! Just started a couple days ago!

Just ride Despicable Me and Rip Ride Rocket with no wait! Now off to more adventure!

Back in the room after all day shenanagins.

We took in everything but the kiddie coaster and the Beatlejuice Show at Studios. Took a midday break again today and ended up heading back to IoA, finishing up at Studios for the Cinematic spectacular.

Now to some impressions. Rip Ride Rockit is my favorite ride from either park, bumping Spidey and FJ down. I think its just the combo of music style of the track. Just love it, especially at the front (rode it four times).

Despicable Me (open all day today) was pretty good to, similar in concept to the Simpsons Ride. Now that we know they are doing early park access for Studios we will definitely catch again on Wednesday on our last run through both parks.

Crowds seemed pretty light today at both parks. The only wait we really had was for Rockit. As expected, we walked on to just about everything at both parks during our late evening return.

We caught the entire Cinematic Spectacular. Even though it amounts to a bunch of movie clips strung together by theme, we enjoyed it. Good overall presentation, if you're a movie fan like I am, it will probably be more enjoyable.

So, after two full days at the Universal Resort/Parks, I have to say I am pretty impressed. Overall, I'd day I still like the Disney parks more (just more variety due to the sheer size of the parks as a whole) but Disney sure could learn a thing or two on motion rides from Universal. They have crushed one of my favorites from Disney, Soarin'. When it comes to accommodations, they are pretty comparable (we've only ever stayed at Port Orleans at Disney) with pretty good theming and excellent staff. I do miss the magical express perk that Disney offers. Universal should really consider a similar service.

Well that's it for now, more on universal and a report on Sea World, tomorrows destination, and their VIP Tour!

Today was our day at Sea World with a VIP Tour. We took a town car to Sea World instead if the free shuttle service. Free would have been nice, but they get after the park opens and their pick up time is an inexplicable hour after park closing. :confused:

Anyway, our VIP tour was a 6 hour guided tour that inluded VIO seating for One World, Clyde and Seymour and he Dolphin show. Quick Queue, 3 animal feedings and unlimited dining were also part of the package.

Our tour guide, Jennifer, was nice enough. Felt a little bad for her and the schedule the park gave her/us as had us crisscrossing the park...she is still recovering from knee surgery. :eek:

Anyway, we had a really fun time. We've been to Sea World San Antonio many times and they compare favorably. I'd give the edge to Orlando as the park has a more complete feel, for lack of a better term.

Turtle Trek was the first thing we as it s not ineof the quick queue rides. Very cool attraction. Nice way to spend 20 minutex out of the sun. The 3d effect in the dome was really immersive, when things passed over you you wanted to duck! :eek:

Manta reminded us a lot of Superman at Six Flags Great America. Very smooth ride. Kraken was fun as well, typical roughness of that style of coaster (with your noggin knocking back and forth).

Atlantis was a nice surprise. While showing its age, some of the sound effects were not working properly or at all, it is definatley better and longer than the Atlantis at San Antonio by a long shot.

The food we had was good as far as theme park food goes. Breakfast and lunch at Voyagers and dinner at the Mill Cafe. All was buffet style serving lines. We dodged in a couple of times to grab water and a snack as well.

We pretty much spent the entire day at the park. All in all very fun day. :thumbsup2

IMGP0765.jpg

Tommorrow, Discovery Cove...

More pics have been uploaded HERE.

Another early start. Arrived at Discovery Cove around 7:45am. Check in was quick, a quick photo for your I.D. and you are sent on your way.

We had breakfast, standard buffet style fare (good nonetheless). After that we grabbed a locker and got our sngorkeling gear. We both chose the wetsuit vests. My wife also used a life jacket as she is new to snorkeling and felt safer with one.

We had time to relax a bit as they did not start letting people intothe water until around 8:30am. Brrr! A little chilly at first, but not too bad. Following the advice given elsewhere in this forum we wanted to get some snorkeling in early before it got too crowded and the water too cloudy.

Wow! Not quite the same as swimming at an actual reef, but amazing nonetheless. Some of those stingrays are huge :eek: Lots of other neat looking fish too. Always read about the sharks, but was surprised to see eels and lobsters to swim by.
IMGP0769.jpg

We grabbed some lunch, tasty (teriyaki chicken, spinach salad, mixed veggies and cheesecake). After flopped into the lazy river for a bit. Relaxing indeed, nice warm water.

Next up was the aviary. Spent a while in there feeding the birds. What a cool thing. Could have spent hours in there, lots to see in there.
IMGP0885.jpg

After all that,we grabbed a snack before heading back to the reef for a final swim.

After, we lazed about for a while before showering and picking up our free pic as well as one that was shot on the lazy river.

What a great way to spend the day.

As usual, more picks at the photobucket link.

Tomorrow we wrap it up with a final trip to the universal parks before heading home in the evening.

Enjoying your trip report! Next trip down, I'd love to visit Discovery Cove. Cute little bird on your shoulder! :)

Our final day! Got an early start at IoA. went straight to Potterland for one last ride on fj. Hopped on dragon challenge (red) and hit Spiderman on the way out. Hopped over to stidios for Rip Ride Rockit, MIB, Simpsons and The Mummy.

Headed back to the resort for a rest before late checkout. Went down and stowed our bags at the bag check and went to lunch at the NBA Cafe.

made another run through IoA for Spidey and the Sinbad ain't show. Back over yo universal to pick up Dr. Who shirt for my brother in law. One last stop she universal gift shop in the city walk to pick up Potter wand and journal for my sister (all potter stuff was cheaper outside the park).

After a quick shower at the resort gym, we are now on the way back home. Whew!

Final thoughts tomorrow.

Ok, so here are my final thoughts on our trip:

Royal Pacific Resort: We liked our room, beds were very comfortable. It was quite comparable to our Port Orleans Riverside accommodations from our last two Disney stays. The tropical theme was consistent throughout. Staff was very friendly and helpful and the grounds were always kept clean. The food options are more inline with the luxury resorts at Disney. While we didn't utilize it, the pool looked quite fun and large enough to not feel crowded. Sandy "beach" front volleyball court was nice. It was also nice to see modern LCD tv's that actually had HD content displayed properly. Probably not a big deal to most, but for a videophile like myself it was refreshing not to have to watch fuzzy SD content stretch to fit a hi-def widescreen display.

Our only complaint would be the transportation options to outside parks. Their shuttle hours to the Sea World Parks are just strange. They aren't very appealing to those who like to get to a park BEFORE it opens. Pick up times are worse, 8:05pm for a park that closed at 7:00pm??? Their town car service, while pricey was consistent with comparable services offered at other parks with one exception. Our ride to Discovery Cove was $5 MORE than a ride to Sea World :confused3 We ended up taking one of the Sea World contracted town cars back for $5 less. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but $5 for what amounts to a minute or two of travel time???

We would definitely stay again.

City Walk: Great selection of eateries. Lively atmosphere just about anytime of the day. We dined at Margaritaville, Nascar Cafe, Pastamore and NBA City. All were very good. As compared to Downtown Disney? I think I like City Walk better. I may feel differently if I had kids but I don't, so City Walk gets the nod here.

IMGP0467-1.jpg

Islands of Adventure: Our favorite park of the two. The standouts for both the wife and I were Spiderman and Potter's FJ. As I had stated earlier, Disney could learn a thing or two on how to do this style of attraction from Universal. Other favorites at this park were Hulk and Jurassic Park River Ride. Each area certainly had a different feel to it, which is how it should be. All you had to do was look around to instantly identify what "island" you were on. The size of the park makes it pretty easy to get through in less than a full day, at least with Express Pass in hand. We had a three day pass and looking back, really just needed two.

IMGP0942.jpg

Universal Studios: Home of what is now my favorite theme park ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit!!! I really loved this ride. The track configuration, the cars, the music. It just works for me. Not the biggest, fastest or craziest, but what it does comes together just right.

My wife really like the Mummy ride. We both also really like The Simpsons and of course Despicable Me. I don't really see a real theme here other than that of a Hollywood backlot. If you look at it that way, it works. A backlot is just a mish mash of movie sets so it fits that idea. There are a few dead spots where there is not much going on, but that didn't detract much from the experience. Definitely doable in one day, fast pass or not.

I think Studios needs it's own "killer attraction" to get more people into that park. The front area with Rip Ride, Despicable Me and Shrek was where the biggest crowds gathered. The rest of the park seemed pretty empty. Good for us as patrons who want to get as much in as possible, maybe not so good for Universal. No hint anywhere in the park as to what will, if anything, be replacing Jaws.

Just an FYI for those that may not have read everything in this thread, but EARLY ENTRY into Studios may now be the norm. Supposedly it's for Despicable Me (Shrek will be the other attraction open early). We were able to get it early each day, but staff over at IoA seemed unaware of it. We asked one of the ticket scanner workers and they said it only opened early for people who do the character breakfast, the seemed surprised when we told them otherwise.

IMGP0952.jpg

Sea World: We did one day here with the VIP tour. Worth it? Maybe. We are glad we did it as we enjoyed the VIP seating at the shows. We also enjoyed the animal feedings that were included (Sea Lions, Dolphins and stingrays). The rest consisted of free time for rides and lunch. With the unlimited quick queue and dining plan it would be great for people who, like us, may not return to this park, and wanted to get everything there was to do in with one day. We got there early so we took advantage of the dining plan and had breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as snacks and water throughout the day.

The Manta was great fun and we really enjoyed this parks version of Journey to Atlantis. The layout of the park could use some work. You pretty much dead end at Kraken and have to double back. Would be nice just to go in a big circle. With the empty ski show stadium area there is just a big dead area of nothing to look at.

We did enjoy our day here, but it's more of a one and done thing since we have a "local" Sea World a couple of hours from home.

IMGP0677.jpg

Discovery Cove: Worth every penny (We did NOT do the dolphin swim)!! Just an incredible feeling of being away from it all. Very friendly staff and everything you could want is included. If you were just dropped right in, you could easily think you were somewhere tropical. We loved everything that we got to do. Highlight for me was swimming with those enormous rays!! What beautiful and graceful creatures.

We would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzmWqJCBo7o?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzmWqJCBo7o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Conclusion: We will be coming back. It's such a different overall experience than that of the Disney Resorts/Parks. Value, IMO, is good and consistent with the area. Crowd levels were very manageable, especially at Studios. Resort guests would have no issues if they take advantage of early entry.

I loved your trip report. I really need some advice and from reading you might be able to help. Your trip was just like I'm Planning ours, staying at RPR and going to SW and DC. You said you didn't take the free shuttles, we were planning to take the shuttles. Could you Please provide me any extra information you have about the shuttle and the town car service you used any thing helps please and thank you.

I loved your trip report. I really need some advice and from reading you might be able to help. Your trip was just like I'm Planning ours, staying at RPR and going to SW and DC. You said you didn't take the free shuttles, we were planning to take the shuttles. Could you Please provide me any extra information you have about the shuttle and the town car service you used any thing helps please and thank you.

The only problem with the Loews Shuttles (they pick up from each of the three resorts) is their timing. If you, like me, like to get there before the park opens then the shuttles just won't work out. The shuttle will pick you up at 9:40am and get you to the park around 10am, depending on traffic. Also, they will not take you directly to Discovery Cove. You will have to go to Sea World then take another shuttle (provided by Sea World) to Discovery Cove.

While the late timing may not be an issue for Sea World, you will be getting to DC over 2 hours after they open (more than that really, since they start the check in process at 7:30am). Also, as I stated earlier, the pick up time is odd as well. It's set at 8:05pm, but the day we were at Sea World the park closed at 7pm.

We chose to utilize the Town Car service. We weighed the cost of a two day rental and the parking fees we would incur and the town cars made better sense. They are available 24/7 so we were able to get where we wanted when we wanted.

Town car costs are fixed and available to you, ask the person working transportation for prices. $25 to/from Sea World, $30 to Discovery Cove (which is strange considering it's just across from Sea World). You can save $5 on the way back from Discovery Cove by using Sea Worlds car service directly from DC. We did.

Cabs are also an option and RPR will call one for you, as will DC. Sea World has a cab stand so they are readily available at the exit (they were lined up 10 deep when we left the park). We didn't want to deal with cabs (Vegas cabbies ruined it for everyone!) as prices can vary depending on the route they take to get you to your destination.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions I'll do my best to help out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter