Universal question

dangler

<font color=darkorchid>TY, are we going to need a
Hi guys,

We are thinking of going to Universal Studios for a day or 2 this April.
For those of you that have been there, do I need 1 day for both parks or 2. My kids do not like rollercoasters.
We will probably have to take a cab or find a shuttle, is there a place to call for a ride back to our hotel?

Thanks! :goodvibes

I have not been to universal studios since before island of adventure opened but I would say it would be hard to fit both parks into one day. It would be very rushed so I say take 2 days.

If you do decide to do both days buy your tickets today. The prices are going up and right now you can get a 7-day unlimited pass for $99 - see the banners everywhere on this site. This is cheaper than a 2-day ticket and you never know you might like it so much you will want another day.

Click on one of the banners to get the tickets.

I have not been to universal studios since before island of adventure opened but I would say it would be hard to fit both parks into one day. It would be very rushed so I say take 2 days.

If you do decide to do both days buy your tickets today. The prices are going up and right now you can get a 7-day unlimited pass for $99 - see the banners everywhere on this site. This is cheaper than a 2-day ticket and you never know you might like it so much you will want another day.

Click on one of the banners to get the tickets.

I just decided to see if the tickets could be used partially now and then finished on another trip. However, they need to be used for 7 consecutive days. It would have been nice if there was no time line for usage.

Are all their prices going up?

Tks for the info,

Jan

You can do both parks in one day especially if you are not doing the roller coasters.

We do the coasters and still do both parks in one day.

Also we rent a car for a day or 2 so that we can shop a bit.

Maybe now that we have been there we could do both parks in a day- knowing what we liked and where things are. Our first time there was this past December-we ended up there 2 full days and 2 part days. We still did not get on/see everything. I don't like really rushing and not taking time to eat lunch etc and really look around. The 7 year olds still could have spent a lot longer in the playground areas. We would tell them they have to get going. We all really liked both IOA and Universal.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in the Universal area? We tend to like Hampton Inn type places. We are not fussy as to the level of luxury but we want a place that is family friendly, very clean and under $100 per night.

We are trying to decide if we will take a trip for March Break and although we would prefer to go to an all inclusive it just is not in the budget. I have spent countless hours online trying to figure something out and I just keep going back to going to Orlando. We have always stayed at WDW onsite so not going there would be something different. The really ironic thing is that I have been to WDW so many times now that I can make that the cheapest option every time I'm investigating a vacation.

There is a Doubletree right across the street that gets very good reviews. Also, some others nearby are Homewood suites, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn and Suites.

If your children don't like rollercoasters, don't bother with the 2 parks in one day ticket. Islands of Adventure is mostly rollercoasters. The regular Universal Studios park is the one with all the theme theatre-style rides. I would recommend spending the day there.

BUT, if your children are big Harry Potter fans, then you should buy the 2 parks a day ticket. You can spend the morning at IoA for Harry Potter, and spend the rest of the day at the Studios. You should choose this only if you know the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be open by the time you get there.

For discount tickets to Universal, go to www.undercovertourist.com

Thanks for the replies! :goodvibes

Is the fast pass worth buying? It seems like a lot of money, but is it worth it?
I think we will miss the Harry Potter by a few months, too bad.

Tickets just went up. If you go to CAA, they are still offering them at the old prices. You don't need to decide to buy the express pass before you get there. Check out the lines first. The express passes can be purchased throughout both parks.

For those looking for close, nice offsite accomodation, check out the Hyatt Place.

If you're going during low season, an express pass is only $20/each. It comes with food discounts.

I found it extremely useful when I bought it. No waits and even though they say it can only be used at each attraction once, they really don't check, as long as you wait about 15 minutes between each ride. The discounts on food were great too.

If you're going at a more crowded time, when the pass may be more expensive, then you'll really have to judge the lines (as damo said) and decide whether it's worth it or not. You also have to consider the size of your family and whether you'll be going on most of the rides or not.

Our plan is to not to buy the passes. We are going after jersey week and before Thanksgiving. We are hoping HP will have died down a bit by then and we wont need them. We are going to do what Damo suggested and just wait until we get to the park and then decide if we need them. With HP it may be busier than anticipated. We will be doing all the rides and will have 5 kids 16,16,14,14 and almost 8 with us plus adults. We decided to stay offsite and rented a 6 bedroom house in Windsor Hillls with games room, hot tub and pool for less than what it costs to stay at POR a night at the summer rate.

What kinds of discounts do you get with the passes? That would be good info to know in case we do decide to buy them:goodvibes

We went the beginning of Nov 09 and spent a day at each park and loved it, both nights when we were done at the park we went to citywalk to look around and have dinner and we got back to our house rental between 8-9 pm. All the kids enjoyed it and there were next to no crowds...my teenager and nephew went on roller coaster after roller coaster and there were next to no waits for anything...i look at my pictures and cant believe how empty the place was so glad we didnt spend any money on any fast pass things...........hope you enjoy it as we sure did...........

There really are only three roller coasters if you don't count Mummy which to me is more of an experience so cutting out just rollercoasters doesn't cut that much out of your day. I personally don't know how you could do justice to both parks in one day even with an express pass. Your kids are mostly older and that is what the parks appeal to. We just spent 5 days there over Christmas with FOL passes and enjoyed every minute, granted we did several rides a few times. I know it is expensive to stay onsite but the front of the line access you get with staying onsite is well worth the money - you can stay one night and get two full days of FOL (day you check in and day you check out). If your kids like thrill rides, just not roller coasters I think you'll have a challenge pulling them away after just two days.

Our kiddos are 2, just turned 4 and 7. We've never been and are considering it this trip. We've always figured taht US and IOA are more for older children. DS7 would probably really enjoy it since he loves coasters (as would DH) but although DD4 is tall and able to ride, she's not a huge fan of coasters. And of course DS2 wouldn't be able to do them. I'm not a huge coaster fan so I'm ok with waiting with the kids but is there enough for DD4 to have fun with or should we wait til they're all a bit older. Also, at these ages, if we go, should we really do 2 days or would 1 be enough (I know most have said 2 on the thread but I'm wondering if this changes with the ages of my kiddos)

Thanks!

I read the Universal Studios board a lot before we went. Some would say how it is for the older groups.......I did not find that at all.....seemed the majority of things were "family" things......then the three roller coasters/Mummy...... if anything our teens were still saying to me......and where are all these "thrill rides?" and Seuss Landing was fantastic......your kids could have a great time there and easily spend two days between the parks (maybe a few things not for the 2 year old)-for one it is a lot of walking just getting from parking garage and to each park. The playground type areas can eat up a lot of time climbing and exploring. I would not have wanted the pressure of trying to do both parks in a day. (We had two 7 year olds, a 14 year old and two 17 year olds on trip with us ) :)

Thanks for the replies! :goodvibes

Is the fast pass worth buying? It seems like a lot of money, but is it worth it?
I think we will miss the Harry Potter by a few months, too bad.

Unless your kids are really young and/or would enjoy Dr. Seuss Land, then I'd agree with most others and say skip IoA.

I don't think the fast pass is worth the $$. The fine print says you can only use the cheapest pass once per ride (which may or may not satisfy others, but DW and I like to ride some multiple times). Just seems like a waste to only get int front once...unless I read the fine print wrong! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter