• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal or Knotts Berry?

MaxSkywalker

Earning My Ears
We have an extra day on our trip and I originally wanted to visit Universal. But it doesn't have that many rides, and many of them are probably too intense for our youngest (7 years old) and maybe even our 10 year old, and I'm not sure our 13 year old will even like them that much as he prefers actual thrill rides (i.e. roller coasters) to motion rides (and he hasn't seen many of the movies they're based on). And to be honest, we visited Universal Orlando a few years ago and didn't have a good time at all (although we basically didn't plan it at all, and that's probably why)

So its seems like Knotts Berry would be more up their alley, I was just wondering if people had thoughts. Knotts seems a lot like the amusement parks they have been to before, which is good in that we know they like that, but bad in that it is not unique enough to justify a day of our trip? Idk, maybe they would like Universal now?

In full honesty, I would rather go to Universal because I can't stand thrill rides like the coasters at Knotts and can tolerate motion rides ;)

Are you planning to do three days at Disney or two? If only two, I’d recommend a third day at Disney over a day at Universal or Knotts.

A lot of the rides at Universal Hollywood are duplicates of Universal Orlando. It might be worth looking at what you did in Orlando and seeing what is at Hollywood and which things you would be interested in doing again or skipping. Of note, a new family dark ride (Secret Life of Pets) just opening in Hollywood, and there is an extended Despicable Me area with a Dumbo-like ride and a water/splash jungle gym, which might interest the younger kids. The Shrek 4-D show has also been changed and updated to a Kung-Fu Panda show, plus some other live shows. There is also, of course, the studio tour, which is honestly really cool. I would say it's pretty family friendly because I think kids would even appreciate seeing the behind the scenes stuff, but there is the King Kong, Fast and the Furious, and subway scene which are kind of like rides in the middle of the tour. Those aren't scary, but the King Kong and subway thing can possibly be a little spooky for younger kids. It might be worth YouTubing the tour and seeing for judging whether you think your kids like it.

While I haven't been to Knotts, I can say that it's at least much closer to Disneyland than Universal. On a weekday your looking at about an hour drive between Disney and Universal if you hit rush hour (which starts at like 6am in LA). Unlike Orlando, they aren't just a few exits on the highway away from each other. Knotts is for sure more convenient if you are considering mostly staying in the area.

They are so different, it's hard to recommend one over the other.

Knott's is totally classic and campy. I like to go once every 5-10 years. There are a few very fun things and most of the rest of it is very disappointing to us when comparing to DL. If you want to see a throw back to old school type amusement parks, it's a good place to go. I think most of my joy there is based on remembering being there as a kid. I am not sure if I'd enjoy it now if I had never been there as a kid several times. Log Ride, Calico Train, the Steam Train and StageCoach are my favorites. I think they have removed everything else that was a must do/see for me. They do have large roller coasters but I don't go on any of those and I still have plenty to do there. Food is a step down from DL, but it could be worse.

Universal Hollywood always looks/sounds better than it ever is for us. I like the Harry Potter area, Jurrasic Park ride (old version, I haven't been since the new version), Waterworld Show (my favorite thing there), the animal show and the tram ride is good. Last time we went, the 2 main exciting parts of the tram ride were not functioning and they gave us a front of the line pass to use on another ride for that day only, but the park was closing in 30 minutes and we didn't use them. We always start to fall asleep on the tram ride. I have never found any decent food there, except in Three Broomsticks, but the portions are HUGE and I recommend sharing plates if you eat there.

Look at Youtube for some recent walkthroughs. You'll probably get a better idea of what you'll enjoy that way. Some of the regular Youtubers for Disney stuff will have videos for these places as well.

DH and I have passes for Knott's, we used for Universal years ago, but honestly a lot of what made Universal as much fun as it was is gone now.

If you like entertainment, Knott's has a fair amount, although at the moment a bit less, but they will have summer nights with concerts this year.

If into characters, Knott's has Peanuts characters with socially distanced meet and greets that are more like normal meet and greets, just 6 feet away.

Knott's has a lot of history to it, they are celebrating 100 years this year and some very unique attractions as a result, some its more unique ones are: Calico Mine Train, which is considered the first truly themed ride in America and actually inspired slot of Disneyland's Frontierland and is unique as there are portions of the ride where the trains run solely gravity, technically making it part roller coaster with no restraints. The log ride has a lot of theming as well and again is one of the first such attractions to have been built and actually inspired imagineers for how to make the lifts work on Splash Mountain, I forget what is unique about it, but here is something unique in how it worked compared to to the few earlier log rides in existence. They have just opened a ride that harkens back to a classic dark ride the used to have called Knott's Berry Tales. Montezuma's revenge is a shuttle loop coaster that is unique in that it uses a flywheel launch (I think it is the last or the last of two that still use this type of launch) and it only uses lapbars for restraints, not over the shoulder restraints. Jaguar is an extremely well themed coater that still winds in and out of other fosters in the park and is a family coaster. The skycabin, while not unique in and of it self, is great as it gives great views of the area. There is a steam train that does a complete loop around the park and without giving too much away, has some unique elements you won't find elsewhere. The rapids Ride is also very unique, they just recently (before COVID) did a complete returning and it is stunning. Camp Snoopy has some unique rides as well, some that everyone can do and some that only kids can do, such has a ride where you lay flat and it spins. Not my idea of fun, but a lot of people like it. There is also a smaller train in this area. You will also find a spinning coaster here.

It should be noted the stage coach is currently closed due to COVID, but that is the only attraction that is currently closed there. Universal has more closed at the moment, so I would personally say Knott's would be the better choice at the moment.

If you do go to Knott's, I would highly recommend the all day dining and drink plan. You can get food something like every 90 minutes and drink refills every 15 minutes.

I grew up in Southern California and prefer Knott's, but you won't have the nostalgia that I do. Universal is pretty small and they have a lot of similar rides to the Orlando park. That said, you see a few attractions on the tram tour and it's a unique way to see it. And there are some different rides like Jurassic World. But when I get there at opening, I find myself always being done around 2 pm. And if they don't have their shows like Waterworld back yet, you may be done sooner.

Knott's is more of a classic amusement park. When is your trip? They are celebrating their 100th anniversary all summer. Their log ride and mine train are classic rides. They have several coasters but there are quite a few non coaster rides as well. Quite honestly, you'll probably be done with Knott's early as well.

If you're done early at Universal, you have Citywalk right there for shops and restaurants and you're not far from Hollywood if you want to walk around the Chinese Theater or see a Disney movie at the El Capitan. Knott's is much closer to Disney. I like them both and you can't really go wrong either way.

The advantage that USH has over Orlando is the tram backlot tour and that you actually get more of the Hollywood feel. You are also nearby to actual Hollywood and can visit Grauman's Chinese Theatre and it's a fun area to walk around a little.

I last went to USH in fall 2019. We had young kids so that was part of our problem but it was super hot, the park layout is tough, lines were long, etc. We enjoyed it but it was not the best due to our kids' ages. I wouldn't write it off because of the lack of rides though, there is more than enough to do for everyone (except super young kids like we had...). I would get the express pass if they do that in USH.

I've only visited Knott's Berry Farm once when I was in first grade and the only thing I remember about is panning for gold and then a log ride, but I remember liking it.

As you’re going to Disneyland, spend an extra day there or go to Knott’s over Universal and save yourself potentially 1-2 hours in the car each way. Not to mention that Knott’s is significantly cheaper and the experience is great. If you didn’t like Universal Orlando, you’ll probably not enjoy USH either although it’s easier to navigate been much smaller.
Knotts does have some good themed areas and rides like the Calico Ghost Town, Camp Snoopy, Calico Mine Ride and the railway. You’d need to check their website for what is and isn’t open when you travel.
Its also typically less crowded.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got a tough group to please due to age ranges and likes/dislikes. Your 13 year old would probably love Magic Mountain, for instance (my DS is 13 and absolutely loves that place) but it wouldn't offer much to you or your other kids. Not sure you'd enjoy Knotts much either, as most of their attractions fall into either high thrill (Silver Bullet, Ghostrider) or kiddie/family rides. If you're not going to spend a third day at DL I think Universal probably would be your best bet IF you plan your day right. Haven't been in a while so unfortunately I'm not going to be a ton of help, but as others have mentioned on these boards would probably be best to do Jurassic World first (since it's the newest attraction) and try to hit the tram tour before noon. Since you have to go down three insanely long escalators to get to JW I would hit the Mummy and Transformers while you're down there and try to get back up for the tram tour before hitting the rest of the park.

On paper it doesn't look like Universal has much to do but you can definitely make a full day of it, especially if there's any type of crowd and you see shows (Waterworld is a great show, and I enjoy the animal show and the special effects show as well). Most of the shows are in the afternoon so we'd typically try to get the rides in during the morning and then hit shows in the afternoon.

I don't know if either Knotts or Universal is going to be a perfect fit for your family, but based on what you've said I think Universal might have a bit more to offer everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter