• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal opening new water park in 2017

I could too but they might just keep Express available for purchase and balance out the demand that way. A room and buying Express can still easily add up to a lower cost than many of the Disney resorts and that in itself is interesting when you think about it.

Especially when "fast pass premium" rolls out...

Well...one hopes that they will...indeed...build a full third gate over on I-4 and connect it via rail...

And that represents a "game changer".

Remember... The rail station is being built south of OIA as we speak...
Part of that plan is to build the - and I can't believe I'm saying this - first mag lev rail with any usefulness in the US - and latch on to the Orlando convention center...

Hmm...check your map and look at where the
Convention center is...

Again... The potential is there for a quick/relative cheap/mass system to connect a tourist destination to your runway...

That beats the hell outta magical express.

Is this the SunRail expansion or something else?

I could too but they might just keep Express available for purchase and balance out the demand that way. A room and buying Express can still easily add up to a lower cost than many of the Disney resorts and that in itself is interesting when you think about it.

That would hurt if they took it away from the deluxe hotels, or at least ensure I never stay there again. I think they are maxed out on Express Pass capacity at this point, at least on the crowded days. Especially when you consider they don't even let you EP the HP rides. It will be interesting to watch what they do going forward.

Especially when "fast pass premium" rolls out...

I don't think this will happen. They just don't have the headliner capacity IMO. And I think they would have done it by now if they could have. No penny left behind!

Is this the SunRail expansion or something else?

The plans have shifted around a ton...the site of the rail station sits next the the "third terminal" at OIA that was supposed to be built 10 year ago.

Sun rail is being "explored" currently...

But what is moving foward is the "all aboard Florida" east coast rail...the Miami express and a public/private mag lev that is supposed to serve as a "trunk" for what they hope is a greater Orlando option.

But the "trunk" is basically the "airport/sea world/universal express"

I'm sure Disney is doing everything it can to kill it in Tallahassee and Washington...

To keep their "exclusive" belchers on the road

I don't see why anyone would pick a vacation location based on a water park. Water parks are a throw in on vacation. I do go to Blizzard Beach but only because I have a yearly pass at WDW. If I didn't have the pass and stayed at a hotel, I would use the hotel pool and never pay to use a special water park. As for determining if its worth going to Universal, they will have to offer a great deal to get me to spend extra money to go there. I go to WDW 3 times a year. I have and will always have a yearly pass. Therefore giving a day up at WDW and going Universal will cost hundreds of dollars. I can't see wasting my time unless I had a park to park pass so I could ride HE and for two days would cost my wife and I well over $500.00. Why spend the money. We don't do many rides and love the shows. Our favorite parks are AK and Epcot. It just costs me too much to even consider Universal until I get a great deal on the tickets.

I don't think this will happen. They just don't have the headliner capacity IMO. And I think they would have done it by now if they could have. No penny left behind!

It may never happen...but bet the farm that they have some type of concept already explored when they green lit the RFID system.

Those things aren't authorized without some type of offsets on the books... And annual pass and hotel increases aren't those...

They don't rob minnie to pay Donald.

I don't see why anyone would pick a vacation location based on a water park. Water parks are a throw in on vacation. I do go to Blizzard Beach but only because I have a yearly pass at WDW. If I didn't have the pass and stayed at a hotel, I would use the hotel pool and never pay to use a special water park. As for determining if its worth going to Universal, they will have to offer a great deal to get me to spend extra money to go there. I go to WDW 3 times a year. I have and will always have a yearly pass. Therefore giving a day up at WDW and going Universal will cost hundreds of dollars. I can't see wasting my time unless I had a park to park pass so I could ride HE and for two days would cost my wife and I well over $500.00. Why spend the money. We don't do many rides and love the shows. Our favorite parks are AK and Epcot. It just costs me too much to even consider Universal until I get a great deal on the tickets.

But what is Universal really doing? They are no longer trying to get you to spend 1 or 2 days at their place. If they open a third full gate and have a waterpark they are becoming a full-fledged destination. Right now I have young kids. Our next trip will be next year (first time in 25 years I have gone 2 years without going to WDW, but that is a point to made another time) and will be all at WDW. What happens 10 years from now when they have double digit ages and princess meet n greet aren’t what they used to be. This is why what universal seems to be doing excites me. For two reasons. 1) If WDW does not get their act together I have a place similar 2) it might just be the kick in the Teeth WDW needs. There will always be those who will only do WDW. I have a lot of great memories from there, but you can only push people so far until the value is just not there anymore.
I am also planning a 2017 trip, and as of right now only half of that will be at WDW. How many more are like me and starting to plan trips similar to ones from years past, but just not giving WDW as much of my time , money, or consideration? Probably not many right now, but I would like to have this conversation in 5 years if Universal keeps up this pace.

It may never happen...but bet the farm that they have some type of concept already explored when they green lit the RFID system.

Those things aren't authorized without some type of offsets on the books... And annual pass and hotel increases aren't those...

They don't rob minnie to pay Donald.

I definitely think they wanted to charge for FPP. I just think they realized they don't have enough to sell. Hey maybe this new ticket structure is the "missing" revenue.

It's the same idea behind why WDW built their waterparks.

It seems people forget that Universal already owns a water park in orlando. Wet n Wild is run by Universal. There have been rumors that once this new water park opens that Wet n Wild will get demolished for a third park. Universal also has plans in store for another hotel after Sapphire falls.

I think the Polynesian theme of this park will be nice. May attract some of Disney's Poly fans.

But what is Universal really doing? They are no longer trying to get you to spend 1 or 2 days at their place. If they open a third full gate and have a waterpark they are becoming a full-fledged destination. Right now I have young kids. Our next trip will be next year (first time in 25 years I have gone 2 years without going to WDW, but that is a point to made another time) and will be all at WDW. What happens 10 years from now when they have double digit ages and princess meet n greet aren’t what they used to be. This is why what universal seems to be doing excites me. For two reasons. 1) If WDW does not get their act together I have a place similar 2) it might just be the kick in the Teeth WDW needs. There will always be those who will only do WDW. I have a lot of great memories from there, but you can only push people so far until the value is just not there anymore.
I am also planning a 2017 trip, and as of right now only half of that will be at WDW. How many more are like me and starting to plan trips similar to ones from years past, but just not giving WDW as much of my time , money, or consideration? Probably not many right now, but I would like to have this conversation in 5 years if Universal keeps up this pace.
I agree Universal wants to make it a multi day vacation experience. However I think people should be careful in what they want. After Universal builds their 15,000 plus rooms and has all those onsite guests paying huge sums for their rooms and tickets for 3 gates plus a water park what do you think they will do for the locals? I am sure any economist will tell you that local season pass holders don't come close to spending what short term vacationers do. The future at Universal Florida is the same as for WDW. They will only care about vacationers from outside the local area. Ticket prices and hotel rooms will keep going up with more benefits for onsite guests and less and less benefits for offsite guests. I also think you will see tiers for offsite as timeshares and select hotels pay for extra benefits for their guests. That said I will most likely stay with my DVC points and enjoy WDW.

I don't know about this. People do seem to come from pretty far away to visit Schlitterbahn in central Texas but in fairness San Antonio and Austin and the Hill Country are right there too.

As for Universal, I can't imagine you getting much of a good deal there. Their parks keep on getting better and better so I can't see why they would bother to offer much to lure people.

Last edited:
I agree Universal wants to make it a multi day vacation experience. However I think people should be careful in what they want. After Universal builds their 15,000 plus rooms and has all those onsite guests paying huge sums for their rooms and tickets for 3 gates plus a water park what do you think they will do for the locals? I am sure any economist will tell you that local season pass holders don't come close to spending what short term vacationers do. The future at Universal Florida is the same as for WDW. They will only care about vacationers from outside the local area. Ticket prices and hotel rooms will keep going up with more benefits for onsite guests and less and less benefits for offsite guests. I also think you will see tiers for offsite as timeshares and select hotels pay for extra benefits for their guests. That said I will most likely stay with my DVC points and enjoy WDW.
I think that this would be very much limited by how few hotel rooms they have compared to WDW. They need offsite visitors and can't just rely on onsite. There just aren't enough onsite visitors and that will only become more apparent as they open more parks and add more attractions.

Well here in Wisconsin we have the Wisconsin Dells which is coined the Water Park Capital of the world. People come from all over for the water parks there and there are a ton of them.

I don't think universal will ever get to the WDW point because of size. Disney has tons of land while universal has very little and is still way behind Disney when it comes to number of resorts and things to do. WDW never reall catered to locals in the beginning they have always been marketed as a world destination. Disneyland however is a location that would cater to locals.

But if they become a multi day destination unto themselves why would they still not cater to locals relative to WDW. From what I have read they already have bennifits For on site guests that are not available to season ticket holders. I was once dvc. I want WDW to give me a reason to buy dvc again. A little true competition from across town may get them to build enough at WDW to make me want to make that commitment. Or it could end up whet there is no competition and everything at both places stagnates. But in any case what uni is doing is not a bad thing for WDW guest. It may be nothing to them in the worst case, but in the best case it will cause construction at WDW.

I think that Universal is adding more experiences and good experiences at a time when it seems like Disney is just dragging their feet.

May I also add that there are times during the year when quite frankly you don't need an express pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter