• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

@DLgal You are looking at IEPs from the limited scope of your own family. IEPs cover a lot of different educational needs and not all include a medical diagnosis nor would all qualify for any kind of theme park accommodation. If your son will have an IEP until he is 22 then he has much more significant needs than the majority of students with an IEP. While special ed law allows for a student to remain in school that long, they also have to qualify for that extended time by showing need for special ed services -- and most students on IEPs do not remain in school that long nor would they qualify to do so.

"Disability" is not equivalent to under guardianship or requiring community-based resources. While many may qualify for such, there are many more disabilities that would have zero need for such things but are still disabling conditions who may need accommodations in the theme park.

Please try to be understanding that not everyone has the same disability or needs. We are all different, with a wide spectrum of needs represented here on the disABILITIES Forum. Proving disability may be harder for some than others.

I have bladder issues, some from trauma and general issues that woman who have kids get. Basically frequent urination and overactive bladder. I can sometimes go 2 hours without having to go or sometimes I have to go every 10 minutes. There is nothing that can be done for my condition. I don't regularly see a doctor because our insurance sucks and we have a high OOP deductible. I don't go unless absolutely necessary. So I don't have any kind of regular doctor. I would have to go to someone and hope that they believe me that I have this medical issue and are willing to go through this process, all so that I can enjoy a few days in a theme park once a year. Even with DAS, I barely go on any rides as it is. I mainly just walk around the parks.
Not everyone has issues that necessitate seeing a doctor on a regular basis and can just easily get a medical note. I am surprised that in this group that has to be explained.
This is going to turn into a "well if it is easy for me, it should be for you", type of thread. I think that it is fair to agree that not everyone has the same medical conditions and not everyone sees a doctor for them. That does not make them any less real medical issues that are helped by DAS.

Japanese and French/European law supports this approach AND the health care system is designed to produce relevant information.

The ADA is explicitly designed NOT to require documentation of disability at every turn.

And it IS discriminatory to place an added burden on individuals with a disability to generate/produce such documentation. Many providers charge an office visit or administrative fee for preparing materials. Not to mention the time needed by the patient to make and attend the relaxant appointment.
This policy goes against the ADA which doesn't require doctor's notes. What if the disabled person doesn't have a primary care physician? I'm also not comfortable with so much personal information left vulnerable to a data breach.

This policy goes against the ADA which doesn't require doctor's notes. What if the disabled person doesn't have a primary care physician? I'm also not comfortable with so much personal information left vulnerable to a data breach.
That’s absolutely not true. Dr’s notes can be requested even in a workplace situation where an employee needs specific accommodations and their condition is not readily apparent. In the Disney/universal realm, where expedited access to rides is only via a paid system, these institution‘s can ask for proof.

That’s absolutely not true. Dr’s notes can be requested even in a workplace situation where an employee needs specific accommodations and their condition is not readily apparent. In the Disney/universal realm, where expedited access to rides is only via a paid system, these institution‘s can ask for proof.
There are different requirements within the ADA. Each are relevant to separate sections (“Titles”) within the overall ADA statute.

Title I is about accommodations in the workplace (accommodations by employers as they relate to employees). Title II is about accommodations made by government agencies. Title III is about public accommodations- what private entities must do when their facilities and/or services are available to the public.

Medical documentation can be requires (but not necessarily is) for some programs, but not others. My employer CAN ask for documentation of medical need for an accommodation. They usually do. I am generally prepared to provide it, even though the need is often clear, based on my obvious limitations if you see me in person or any full-body picture or video. They want a paper trail. I understand that.

Last edited:

@DLgal You are looking at IEPs from the limited scope of your own family. IEPs cover a lot of different educational needs and not all include a medical diagnosis nor would all qualify for any kind of theme park accommodation. If your son will have an IEP until he is 22 then he has much more significant needs than the majority of students with an IEP. While special ed law allows for a student to remain in school that long, they also have to qualify for that extended time by showing need for special ed services -- and most students on IEPs do not remain in school that long nor would they qualify to do so.

"Disability" is not equivalent to under guardianship or requiring community-based resources. While many may qualify for such, there are many more disabilities that would have zero need for such things but are still disabling conditions who may need accommodations in the theme park.

Please try to be understanding that not everyone has the same disability or needs. We are all different, with a wide spectrum of needs represented here on the disABILITIES Forum. Proving disability may be harder for some than others.

An IEP is offered as ONE form of supporting documentation. It's not the ONLY option.

IEPs will work for many people looking for theme park accommodations for their kids who have autism, which is one of the main conditions this type of pass was designed to accommodate ("invisible" disabilities like neurodevelopmental ones).

The other options are a doctors letter OR a letter from a government agency that states the nature of the disability.

People should be able to provide ONE of these in order to obtain a ride assistance pass. If people are unwilling or unable to do that, that's on them, and they will need to figure out how to manage at a theme park without assistance. I think the options provided are more than fair here.

People abuse these programs and that needs to stop. Not every medical condition that creates a disability will benefit from a theme park disability pass. That's why they don't grant it to everyone who asks.

It is very much depending on a lot of things. Caffein makes me have to go more often. Hormones also play a huge role in this. It is just the nature of my problem. I will have times where I have to go often and that lasts about an hour. During that time I will just hang out by the restroom or in my room. And there are times where I am having a good day and can go a couple of hours. I have a part time job where I can use the restroom as needed but other than that, I stay at home most of the time. I get about 6 hours of sleep a night and have to get up at least once and have an extremely full and painful bladder when I do get up.
This is the problem with non typical medical issues. People, like you, that have not heard of it call me a liar. Be grateful that you don't have this type of issue because it absolutely rules my life.
And how dare you call me a liar.

NOTE: quoted post removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
The blurb I read from Universal indicated that the registration was needed to use a "Service animal"... Can they do this? If so, might be a bit of a challenge for legitimate service animal users BUT would definitely stop the "mommy's little baby" stroller dogs!
That feels like it's very much in violation of the ADA - unlike the rest of it, which is too vague to nail down, requiring documentation of service animals is explicitly illegal under ADA guidelines. I wonder if they're getting around it by requiring documentation of the person's disability. It seems sketchy! https://www.ada.gov/topics/service-animals/

An IEP is offered as ONE form of supporting documentation. It's not the ONLY option.

IEPs will work for many people looking for theme park accommodations for their kids who have autism, which is one of the main conditions this type of pass was designed to accommodate ("invisible" disabilities like neurodevelopmental ones).

The other options are a doctors letter OR a letter from a government agency that states the nature of the disability.

People should be able to provide ONE of these in order to obtain a ride assistance pass. If people are unwilling or unable to do that, that's on them, and they will need to figure out how to manage at a theme park without assistance. I think the options provided are more than fair here.

No, there aren’t multiple documentation options for most people, at least in the US.

I’m in my 50’s. I don’t have a current IEP. I MIGHT have a copy of one from 35 years ago.

In the US, there are no government agencies, except the Veteran’s Administration, that provide documentation regarding an individual‘s disabilities. The Social Security Administration, in partnership with the States, does evaluate reports of medical information included in applications for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSI). That evaluation is focused exclusively on whether an individual is too disabled to work. It is not focused on, nor produces documentation on, the particular limits of an individual.

Last edited:
The blurb I read from Universal indicated that the registration was needed to use a "Service animal"... Can they do this? If so, might be a bit of a challenge for legitimate service animal users BUT would definitely stop the "mommy's little baby" stroller dogs!

That feels like it's very much in violation of the ADA - unlike the rest of it, which is too vague to nail down, requiring documentation of service animals is explicitly illegal under ADA guidelines.

Seems like a bit of a gray area, but I'm not an attorney. Could be if they will need use of a kennel for the service animal while riding, that could be considered a higher level of accommodation -- more than simply allowing the service animal to walk around the park with the owner.

I am not the original poster you are quoting but I also have the same condition and issues. Yes I we can go 2hrs and be fine but in some instances it is like every 10min cause of our disorder. I can go use the restroom walk out then shortly have to turn around and go right back in. Sometimes this makes going on rides a no go for a good amount of time. So when we feel we CAN do a ride I would like to be on and off without worrying about a long wait if my issue comes up. Without the accommodation we have almost no chance to enjoy ourselves on the attractions at the park.

This definitely falls under don’t speak if you don‘t truly understand. I would jump at the chance to wait in all the long lines if I didn’t have this issue I have to deal with. It sucks!

NOTE: quoted post removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a difference between a request for a doctor's note and a requirement for one.

So I registered for universal just to check it out. I have a 2 page documentation that I tried to use but it only took the second page and I can find no way to add the first. I got a temporary card but I don’t see it going through without the other page. I know my doc won’t talk to anyone on the phone without a release from me so I am curious what will happen next. I will say I am not going to universal until October and we actually paid for express and will continue to do so as it works fine for us. I have never requested accommodations at universal. I have used them some at Disney because their paid system doesn’t work so well for me. I guess this is a test lol.

I am not the original poster you are quoting but I also have the same condition and issues. Yes I we can go 2hrs and be fine but in some instances it is like every 10min cause of our disorder. I can go use the restroom walk out then shortly have to turn around and go right back in. Sometimes this makes going on rides a no go for a good amount of time. So when we feel we CAN do a ride I would like to be on and off without worrying about a long wait if my issue comes up. Without the accommodation we have almost no chance to enjoy ourselves on the attractions at the park.

This definitely falls under don’t speak if you don‘t truly understand. I would jump at the chance to wait in all the long lines if I didn’t have this issue I have to deal with. It sucks!
Thank you ArielRae. I rarely tell anyone about my issues because of these types of responses. This typically affects woman so of course most men can't even fathom having a condition like this.

If Disney chooses to go this route hopefully it will cut down on the wait times for a virtual chat. I assume they will still need to be with you in order to get another current photo though.

Please be respectful that not everyone has easy access to such documentation. It seems simple to you because you have adequate access to healthcare and those in your life are enrolled in social service agencies or government programs. Your posts come across as very dismissive of those who don't fall into your same circumstances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter