Universal In, Disney Out.

I don't think you really even have to "know" Harry Potter" to enjoy that section of the park. It's about magic and castles and wizards. Most kids would be into that sort of theme. It might even prompt them to read the books.

My sister's son is 8 and he visited Harry Potter last year and loved it. He is now starting to read the books and has seen most of the movies. I think Harry will bring in a new generation of people, especially with the new Fantastic Beasts movie coming out.

Same with the Jurassic park area. Kids know and love dinosaurs.

As for Disney - my grand-daughter has seen all of the Disney movies. Of course she likes the Princess ones the best. I kind of think most girls do know all of the princesses.

I doubt a lot of kids know what Song of the South is and love Splash mountain and how many kids have seen Tom Sawyer but love that island?

What it really boils down to is that as long as the attraction is good it doesn't matter what it is based on.

That, I understand. But that's not Disney's fault and it doesn't make Universal "better than" Disney. Disney is for people with younger kids and people that are Disney lovers, and Universal is for people with older kids and those that like thrill rides.

But you see it does make Universal BETTER for some of us. And in fact it is Disney's fault - they don't have to embrace that ideology, they chose to. Which is fine - they have the right to do that, and it doesn't make them evil and horrible. But it does in fact make universal better for ME. Which was the point of the thread title... uni in for me, disney out for me. I never said Disney sucks don't go there every no matter who you are.

But the fact is I was dreading our trip to Uni, and walked away thrilled that we went, and with a whole new perspective on the Uni vs Disney angle.

Ever been to DisneyLAND? Same thing. Three hotels, Downtown Disney, and two theme parks all within walking distance.

We/re going to give Disneyland a try while we're over in CA, but unless Universal over there disappoints in comparison to Orlando Uni, DL doesn't really stand much of a chance. It's still a doll house vs rides that (at least to me) seem like early contenders for virtual reality - if not holographic reality.

Probably the biggest difference for me is that at WDW I feel like away from it all and immersed in Disney stuff. IOA/USF felt like I was at a theme park (hopefully that make sense). Not bad, just kind of left me wanting it to be "more".

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There is nothing that compares to a WDW vacation. I'm sorry but having miles and miles of *Disney* surrounding you when you stay at a WDW Resort just can't be touched...for *me* at least.

I'm happy that there are many that love Universal and I cheer on Universal's continued success because it will force WDW to even become better.

It's a win-win.:thumbsup2

I don't think you really even have to "know" Harry Potter" to enjoy that section of the park.
I doubt a lot of kids know what Song of the South is and love Splash mountain and how many kids have seen Tom Sawyer but love that island?

What it really boils down to is that as long as the attraction is good it doesn't matter what it is based on.

Exactly why I have high hopes that Avatarland will be something that both fans and non-fans of the film will enjoy.;)

I hated the movie in terms of story, but I think Avatarland will probably be great.

This probably sums up my feelings about Avatarland as well. I was not a big fan on the movie but done right, it could be a great theme park land. The question is what Disney will we see. The one that gave us 7DMT, TOT, Everest and other thematic Disney or the one that gave us Chester and Herter's Dinorama and VotLM. J.K. Rowling has held Universal's feet to the fire with everything WWOHP and the results show. I wonder if James Cameron has required similar authority over Avatarland.

The rumor on the WWOHP is that Disney wanted full themepark rights to do whatever they wanted (read potentially Mickey with Glasses and a lightningbolt scar) and Universal was willing to do whatever J.K. wanted done. Including according to rumors adding a Hogsmead to USH when originally they only wanted to add the Castle in California.

Honestly Harry Potter has us coming to Universal more but I still think the quality is at WDW. We tend to skip most things at Universal OTHER than Harry Potter and only a lot one day for it. Their customer service is crappy. We get tired of being forced to shove things into lockers. Theming is lacking outside of HP areas too. Their hotels are not good. Including the high end ones.

They get us for the potter and then we are OUT.

It takes all sorts I suppose, I actually felt like the theming was worst in HP, but that probably has something to do with the plastic snow everywhere which really drew me out. The shops were awesome, and the shop windows - even the ones without stores behind them - were amazing.

I LOVED RPH, it made me hate French Quarter...
As far as the cast members being rude? I had exactly the OPPOSITE experience. Disney treated me like they couldn't care less and like they were doing me a favor to let me spend my money on them. Universal was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure I was having a good time.

We are the exact same way. I'm not a thrill ride person so nothing in that park catches my attention besides Harry Potter (And i'm not really a Harry Potter fan).

I keep hearing this, but I'm not really a thrill ride junkie either, I don't see things like the Simpons and Despicable me as thrill rides. What I am is an experience junkie and the rides at Universal offer me far more of an experience then I got at Disney.

My biggest "gripe" with UOR (and really, it's probably my only one) is that so few of their rides accommodate people that are Pooh-sized. I know there's at least one seat on the Hulk, but I can't think of any others off-hand. (Admittedly, it's been a couple years since I've been back, so maybe this has changed)

I was really worried about that when we went, but at 297 lbs I fit on EVERYTHING I wanted to ride except Forbidden Journey, including Revenge of the Mummy.

Oh I forgot this. I forgot the mortifying time I didn't fit in the HP ride. I've slimmed down since then so last time I had no problem but it was handled embarassingly.

Having a bad experience like this could happen anywhere.
When I tried the tester seats outside of Forbidden Journey and didn't fit the guy who was trying to help me was very quite, gentle and apologetic that I was too big to fit. I thought that was really sweet since it isn't his fault I'm fat.

The only other problem we had was with my wife on Bluto's Bilge Rats - even with an extension she couldn't quite make it. (Though I think she gave up a little too easily because she really didn't want to ride it/get wet.) The girl who was trying to help did everything she could, and was still trying when my wife decided to get out (see the did not want to get wet thing) and even asked me to tell her how sorry she was after I got off the ride because the last thing she wanted was for my wife to feel bad.

I think the Loews hotels at US are miles better than most of the Disney ones. They are absolutely amazing.

We're big UO fans too. We went to Disney two weeks ago and although we had a good time, it made me miss Universal. :lmao:

Vacation at an onsite resort at UO is so relaxing and fun, while Disney feels like so much hassle and hustle and bustle. Wait for a bus...wait for a parking tram...fold up your stroller...get your bag checked...blah. It stresses me out.

I actually prefer the Disney parks, but I much prefer the overall experience at UO. :goodvibes

The only other problem we had was with my wife on Bluto's Bilge Rats - even with an extension she couldn't quite make it. (Though I think she gave up a little too easily because she really didn't want to ride it/get wet.) The girl who was trying to help did everything she could, and was still trying when my wife decided to get out (see the did not want to get wet thing) and even asked me to tell her how sorry she was after I got off the ride because the last thing she wanted was for my wife to feel bad.

I've never had any trouble with Bluto. But you did remind me of another one that can cause problems. Dudley Do Right, and that's especially true after the log redesign and lap bar addition. Although for me, getting into the boat is nearly as much trouble as getting out of the boat. In addition to being big I'm also tall 6'4". The pivot point for the lap bar hits right at my knees. So, to get out of the boats I need to sort of telescope my way out far enough until my knees clear and I can bend them and finish getting out while slipping on the wet floor. I had one potentially embarrassing trip where I was wearing Drifit short (I now normally also wear compression shorts underneath to avoid chafing) and as I was wiggling my way out of the seat, I could feel the shorts start to slide. It wouldn't have taken too much further for me to moon the ride op at the unload station. Fortunately I was able to readjust my shorts before thing got too far down. I now make sure I tie the drawstring extra tight before riding.

As for theming in the parks -

MK - amazing of course. Not sure I really like the new Circus area however. It comes off kind of gaudy.

AK - Great except for Hector fair area or whatever its called.

EP- WS amazing. FW ugly, ugly ugly, Well except some nice flowerbeds. But I HATE those tombstones at the front of FW and then all the rides are in big, nondescript buildings.

DS - is there a theme here? Besides the main strip which is nice and perhaps the NY area there is no theming. And US does the NY area MUCH nicer than HS.

IofA - Seuss area is amazing and so whimsical. Marvel and Comic Area is ok. LIttle over the top in the Comic area. And of course HP is the best in Florida.

UA - NY area is amazing. Simpsons is nicely done for the most part.

I think the Loews hotels at US are miles better than most of the Disney ones. They are absolutely amazing.

Agreed. The cheapest hotel (royal pacific) was so nice compared to the values and mods at Disney. The service throughout the hotel and parks was impeccable. Smiles all around. Clean. Character interaction was great. After 15 trips to wdw only we were hesitant about uni. But were so pleasantly surprised. I will always love Disney especially because is still have a three year old. But my then 9 and 7 year olds were in heaven at uni. I also found it so relaxing.

We found RPH to be filthy. Will never stay there again. We had terrible service and like I said... DIRTY! Yuck.

HRH we love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter