Universal Hotels - worth it?

smuggs01

Earning My Ears
So, we'll be going to WDW followed by Universal from oct 29 - Nov 7 (Nov 5-7 in Universal). It will be myself, wife, and 3 kids. We can stay at the SpringHill Suites about 5 miles away on Marriott points. During this week (which will be the end of "Jersey Week"), would it make sense to spend about $600 for 2 nights in one of the Universal hotels just to get their version of the fast pass? Right now, I'm thinking that if we are only a 10 minute drive to our hotel and can go back to universal without having to pay for parking a second time, it would be just fine to stay at the off-site hotel. So, my question is really, "is there a real compelling reason to stay on-site at Universal?".

I wouldn't decide quite yet. Wait and see how big the crowds are because of Harry Potter. You will probably be fine at that time to stay offsite.

You should also be able to get a room for two nights way cheaper than $600. We've gotten RPR for around $130/night. Deals won't be available yet for that time.

that's what I was hoping (deals, that is). I've got my room booked at the SpringHill Suites for now and if some good deals come along on-site, then I'll look to switch.

If you're a triple-A member, call the Universal hotel reservation number for an AAA rate quote. I believe that's usually the best rate available for non-Florida residents that are staying for 3 nights or less.

I'm wondering the same thing. Right now the rooms for my dates (oct 28-29) are rack rate of $259 and up! That's very high if you ask me, and that was at the AAA site! I'm wondering if they are keeping them inflated right now because of Harry Potter? Do you think room rates will go down?

The FOTL stuff sounds great and if the parks are mobbed would be worth it, but it still seems like a lot of money for a place to sleep for 2 nights.

The early entry thing seems uncertain at this time. Some places you read it's good for all onsite, others say it's just for HP packages.

I guess I just need to be a bit patient.

I'm wondering the same thing. Right now the rooms for my dates (oct 28-29) are rack rate of $259 and up! That's very high if you ask me, and that was at the AAA site! I'm wondering if they are keeping them inflated right now because of Harry Potter? Do you think room rates will go down?

The FOTL stuff sounds great and if the parks are mobbed would be worth it, but it still seems like a lot of money for a place to sleep for 2 nights.

The early entry thing seems uncertain at this time. Some places you read it's good for all onsite, others say it's just for HP packages.

Right now the good rates are not out yet for that time of year. You can do what most of us do and book that rate, then keep checking for a rate drop. Once it drops just call them up and they will change it, less than 5 minutes time. We just called again for our second rate drop this year for our July trip.:thumbsup2

Thanks. So I can reserve the room now, I'm guessing they will charge my credit card??
Then where do I need to keep checking to see if the rates go down?
I do I just call and ask "what's the AAA rate", "are there any specials".

Really clueless as to what to do. LOL. Any estimate on when the deals start coming out for late October?

i booked with the AAA discount for a week stay in october.
my friday/saturday rate is also $228.65 on those nights. (plus tax)
same price as you will have on those dates.

weekday rates are a lot less though.
&175.10 + tax = $197.20 a weeknight for me w/AAA.

the last few years some great rate deals came out during september.
you can call to modify your rate anytime once you have booked.

Here are the rates I have for October 6-10 at RPR for a standard room:
Oct 6 - Oct 7 $225.20 (Wednesday/Thursday)
Oct 8 - Oct 9 $278.65 (Friday/Saturday)

The price is higher because we are booked for 4 adults.

This is the AAA rate I received by calling the Universal reservation number.

Right now the good rates are not out yet for that time of year. You can do what most of us do and book that rate, then keep checking for a rate drop. Once it drops just call them up and they will change it, less than 5 minutes time. We just called again for our second rate drop this year for our July trip.:thumbsup2

We have just decided to go to WDW in mid to late July and we want to stay at one of the Universal resorts for at least 2 nights. What rate did you get for July?

We have just decided to go to WDW in mid to late July and we want to stay at one of the Universal resorts for at least 2 nights. What rate did you get for July?

July 2-9
179 for Friday and Saturday
159 for the rest of the time

That is for Florida resident rate or Annual Passholder rate. Before that rate came out it was about $15-$20 more a night with the stay more save more rate.:thumbsup2

Thanks. So I can reserve the room now, I'm guessing they will charge my credit card??
Then where do I need to keep checking to see if the rates go down?
I do I just call and ask "what's the AAA rate", "are there any specials".

Really clueless as to what to do. LOL. Any estimate on when the deals start coming out for late October?

They will charge you a deposit (average one night stay with taxes) at booking. You can call the hotel directly or your AAA office each week and see it the rate lowers. Or go right to Universal's website and check there. I just don't know if you can check AAA rates there. You can check all other rates on the site though. You might see the deals start around May -June but its best to book now and if you decided not to go just cancel.:thumbsup2

I'm wondering when we might see September specials. We have AAA which will help but it's just my mom and I and it would be nice if we could get a room for under 200 a night. Right now we are waffling btwn. US and DW. With DW not doing the FD as of yet- we are leaning toward US for a new experience.

I also wonder- do we have to rent a car? We really want to keep the trip super cheap for the 2 of us. I don't think we want to spend more than 1K including airfare/hotel/car rental/tickets for a 3 night trip. Airfare for us is around 400 total, sometimes we can get it for less- in 2008 we spent 160pp.

I have to do some pricing on cars and staying offsite to see what works out best. We really want the 'fast pass' tickets that come with the room, but we'll buy the '1 time only FP' tickets if we stay off site.

When do Sept. specials normally come out?

I'm wondering when we might see September specials. We have AAA which will help but it's just my mom and I and it would be nice if we could get a room for under 200 a night. Right now we are waffling btwn. US and DW. With DW not doing the FD as of yet- we are leaning toward US for a new experience.

I also wonder- do we have to rent a car? We really want to keep the trip super cheap for the 2 of us. I don't think we want to spend more than 1K including airfare/hotel/car rental/tickets for a 3 night trip. Airfare for us is around 400 total, sometimes we can get it for less- in 2008 we spent 160pp.

I have to do some pricing on cars and staying offsite to see what works out best. We really want the 'fast pass' tickets that come with the room, but we'll buy the '1 time only FP' tickets if we stay off site.

When do Sept. specials normally come out?

Have you called Universal? I would expect that the AAA rate for September would already be under $200/night.

If you go the car rental path, you'll have to pay the $15 parking fee per night. Another option is to use a towncar service for roundtrip service between the airport and hotel. That will cost around $100, but many towncar service include a free 30-minute grocery stop.

Well, we are booked at PBH for 2 nights in August....AAA rate was $315/night for Club level. I checked back for a deal, but they said it was still the best deal going for that room classification. I think it is a bit high, but I have been told the Universal hotels are wonderful, PBH one of the nicest....and I also DO want to keep the club level experience. At least we'll have FOTL passes with that!! :)

I just booked through the hotel.....September 30 - October 7 @ $125.14 a night with the stay more play more.

So, we'll be going to WDW followed by Universal from oct 29 - Nov 7 (Nov 5-7 in Universal). It will be myself, wife, and 3 kids. We can stay at the SpringHill Suites about 5 miles away on Marriott points. During this week (which will be the end of "Jersey Week"), would it make sense to spend about $600 for 2 nights in one of the Universal hotels just to get their version of the fast pass? Right now, I'm thinking that if we are only a 10 minute drive to our hotel and can go back to universal without having to pay for parking a second time, it would be just fine to stay at the off-site hotel. So, my question is really, "is there a real compelling reason to stay on-site at Universal?".

I have been to WDW and USO for Jersey Week and both get very crowded esp by the end of the week. Yes, it's steep price but they are deluxe hotels and similar to what WDW would charge for a deluxe. Also to call it "their version of the fast pass" is not giving it full credit. You show your room key and get in the express line. So if your kids love Spiderman, they can go in the express line 8x in a row if they want. It takes "spoiled" to a whole new level. :cloud9: After a few days with a room key, my kids gripe about 20 minute lines at WDW. That's when we realized it's better to add USO after WDW. ;) Makes WDW's Fast Pass seem like a PITA, running back and forth for tickets, tracking times, etc.
Also Royal Pacific has great park view rooms that are no extra $.
Royal Pacific and Hard Rock are EASY walks to the parks, 5-10 mins through beautiful gardens and landscaping. PBH is a little further away. Never walked it but there are water taxis or pedicabs to give you a lift.

Hard Rock has obstructed view rooms for a little cheaper if you don't care about the view. We've done that twice and usually get a view of a shorter building's roof but still see the side of US and Twister ride.

We won't go to USO without a room key. HRH is our fav. Our kids even love Margaritaville and the easy walk back to our room. :love:

Dh often says, 'Usually the difference between a mediocre vacation and a really awesome one is a few hundred bucks.' :thumbsup2 This would be one of those instances.

btw, my friend/neighbor is also big USO/WDW fan and has 3 kids. She has stayed at all 3 many times and feels that PBH is the best bargain. Even though it's a little further away, the rooms are huge and bathrooms are gigantic, like 3 of Disney's bathrooms. :lovestruc There's no extra charge for 5th guest there like there is at the other 2 hotels. She says by the time she pays for the 5th, she might as well pay for PBH and get more space.

That weekend WILL sell out so don't dally too long. Those who think that's not a busy time of year down there don't know what Jersey Week is like. It's easier to cancel and get your deposit back than to have it sell out and wish you could book. :goodvibes

I've booked to stay onsite in the HRH for one night just after the opening of WWoHP I'm sure that it will be worth it. I'm massive fan of Hard Rock Cafe's and I've been collecting the pins and shirts for years. I hope that it won't disapoint from everything I've read on here so far its looking good.

just interested,do you mean the rollaway bed charge, im taking four lads with me, 2 sons my nephew and his pal,would you say that would be better than RPR? me and my 2 lads stayed there 2008 but we might be better not falling over each other so much!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter