Universal guide book

Kelly Monaghan has a website for these "Other Orlando" books and it seems to have some freebies on it:
Hi! My name's Kelly Monaghan. This site contains the complete, unedited, and unexpurgated text of two of my books, Universal Orlando 2009: The Ultimate Guide to the Ultimate Theme Park Adventure and SeaWorld, Discovery Cove & Aquatica: Orlando's Salute to the Seas, plus a free preview of The Hassle-Free Walt Disney World Vacation by my good friend Steven M. Barrett.
I've never read the printed books, but I used the free touring advice on this web site to help plan our ride strategy in 2009 and it worked really well.

I wish that the UG folks would get with the play, and create a book that covers the 4 WDW parks and the "other 4" plus Discovery Cove, etc. in a more complete and balanced way. Their main book is becoming bloated almost beyond recognition, but it still treats the other Orlando parks like red-headed stepchildren and ignores Busch Gardens altogether.

To me there are three main alternative strategies for the family who is planning a typical one-week (or so) Orlando holiday - All WDW, the "other four", or some kind of hybrid. Case #3 is tricky for people on a budget because of the cost. It seems that WDW will give you the shaft unless you commit to four or more days in the world, whereas the other parks have more reasonable options for 2 or 3 day visits. Or so it seems to me, which is why I would really appreciate an integrated guidebook to help sort out these issues. Lots of people want to know how to fit in WWOHP, Seaworld/Discovery Cove and a couple of Disney parks without breaking the bank, and they would pay money to get good advice.

I wish that the UG folks would get with the play, and create a book that covers the 4 WDW parks and the "other 4" plus Discovery Cove, etc. in a more complete and balanced way. Their main book is becoming bloated almost beyond recognition, but it still treats the other Orlando parks like red-headed stepchildren and ignores Busch Gardens altogether.

ta-da.....

Welcome to the Universal side of the DIS! :laughing:

We deal w/ that ALL the time!

There he is! :)

I agree with the red-headed stepchildren comments. I try to visit both resorts and the attitudes amaze me. I find that I do best when I get both Kelly Monaghan's book and the UOG (even though I haven't bought this one for a while).

The 2011 book is at the printer! It's completely redesigned inside and out, contains the first eyewitness account of WWoHP, and has 16 pages of color photos.

There's a half-price, pre-publication special available at:

http://www.intrepidtraveler.com/store/uoadvance/

The book should ship by mid-August.

When you say ship, do you mean to the purchasers? I know you cannot be precise, but...we leave Aug. 27th, and if I thought it was likely to arrive in our hands by then I would be ecstatic!

Thanks!
Maria :upsidedow

When you say ship, do you mean to the purchasers? I know you cannot be precise, but...we leave Aug. 27th, and if I thought it was likely to arrive in our hands by then I would be ecstatic!

Right now the books are scheduled to be shipped FROM the printer on Aug 10, subject to change. Say 5 days to reach us. So getting it top you by the 27th seems doable. But please understand that I cannot absolutely guarantee that.

BTW, someone posted here the OLD version of the cover. Here's the actual cover image:

http://www.intrepidtraveler.com/images/uo103d.gif

Or see it here:

Right now the books are scheduled to be shipped FROM the printer on Aug 10, subject to change. Say 5 days to reach us. So getting it top you by the 27th seems doable. But please understand that I cannot absolutely guarantee that.

BTW, someone posted here the OLD version of the cover. Here's the actual cover image:

Or see it here:

Just ordered! Hoping to have it before my August 29th trip, but if not, I'll still need it for our October trip, so happy either way. Great deal!

Wow, that is a great deal! I'm tempted to order one even though our trip is just before it comes out. There's always next year.

Just ordered by 2011 version. I've got several others and we are planning a trip for spring, 2011, so this is right on time!! And the price. . . excellent deal. . .so I bought the Sea World/Aquatica/Discovery Cove book as well!

Thanks to the books I've purchased here before, we found some things we never would have known about. . .like the Desert Lady and some go-cart tracks plus the largest McDonalds I've ever seen :goodvibes There was a Bistro inside, so while our kids got their usual, Dh and I were able to get some really good sandwiches that were not fried or breaded then fried :lmao:

Anyway, here's another recommendation for the Orlando books as well as another satisfied reader.

Or see it here:

Thanks! I of course understand you cannot guarantee it, but I'm going to roll the dice!

Maria :upsidedow

I so glad to hear that it will be out earlier than I thought. Thank you so much kelly for your wonderful books!!!! :worship: Hope I didn't step on any toes posting the link. :goodvibes

Crystal

I just ordered this book too! I am very excited to plan our Nov trip. I always feel like at WDW I know what I'm doing, but feel totally lost at Universal. Hopefully this book will solve that. Thanks for the info! :goodvibes

Wow everyone thanks so much for chiming in and sharing the pre-order deal.

We've decided to try to plan to go in February, so I've gone ahead and pre-ordered the book!

Can't wait to start reading!

I just want to thank the entire community here for the overwhelming and extremely gratifying response to the new edition and the pre-publication offer.

As you may know, the book business is really under siege these days and, as a small publisher, we have been hit hard. Guidebooks, I am absolutely convinced, get sold when people decide where they're going and then head to a bookstore to see what's available for their destination.

Last year, two chains, B. Dalton and Waldenbooks, which were located mostly in smaller malls, went out of business. We used to sell a lot of books through them.

But when they disappeared, people had far fewer places to go to browse for guidebooks. And it's not as if the larger stores took up the slack. Next time you're in a Barnes & Noble or Borders notice how much space is given over to cafes, gifts, music, video and what have you. Books are shrinking slice of the pie.

Add to all this that the Universal Orlando guidebook is a book that appeals to a small (but extremely intelligent :goodvibes ) audience and that bookstores are overwhelmed by Disney books and you get an idea of what we're up against.

All of which means that I hold a very special place in my heart for you guys and the tremendous support you have shown for me and the book over the years.

Thanks again!

you bet Kelly :thumbsup2

Can't NOT spread the news about what an informative and good book about UO it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter