Universal & Express Pass

gillybeaaan

Mouseketeer
Hi, Again!

We weren't really planning to go to Universal on our trip but as i know it'll be a long time before i go back I'm really thinking of including a day or two in the universal parks.

When I've been researching I've been seeing about the Express pass. Is this essentially the equivalent to a Disney fast pass that you have to pay for, and in your opinion, is it worth the extra money?

We'd be going the first week in September, do you think we'd need it or would crowds be slightly more manageable?

Thanks again for all the help you've all been with the planning of our trip!:) Theres so many different aspects to think about I'm just getting lost!

Hi, we are going July/August and after lots of research decided to get the express pass, it has worked out cheaper for us, 2 adults and 3 children to book a night in the universal resort so if you decide to get them check the prices of this to as it gives you 2 days unlimited fotl instead of 1 day with only 1 use for each ride x

Hi, Again!

We weren't really planning to go to Universal on our trip but as i know it'll be a long time before i go back I'm really thinking of including a day or two in the universal parks.

When I've been researching I've been seeing about the Express pass. Is this essentially the equivalent to a Disney fast pass that you have to pay for, and in your opinion, is it worth the extra money?

We'd be going the first week in September, do you think we'd need it or would crowds be slightly more manageable?

Thanks again for all the help you've all been with the planning of our trip!:) Theres so many different aspects to think about I'm just getting lost!

It's not like Disney. Disney's fast pass is free but there are restrictions as to how you can use it.

Is it worth the money? Only if you plan to give no prior thought to the rides/parks and arrive at midday on a Saturday. In peak holiday season. I've had it several times but would never pay for it (and we travel only in peak season - spring break, Easter weekend, national holidays - if it's mobbed, we're there!)

You'll be fine without it. Arrive before noon. You should be able to walk on everything in Islands of Adventure except Harry Potter until then. Use the single rider lines in both parks. Harry Potter will be mobbed no matter what time you arrive and the Express Pass doesn't work on it anyway.

If you get there and the crowds are insane, there'll be plenty of staff who will happily sell you one...;)

Hi, Again!

When we went last September As DD1 was/is a huge HP fan I decided to book a night in the pacific hotel as included was early entry and express pass we got a two park 1 day and whizzed round both parks comfortably. Express does not include WWHP but the early entry ensures HP addicts a comfortable viewing (it was quite funny to watch early twenty somethings agog at the sights ) hope this helps

We just returned from Universal, and stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort. We went to the parks on a Friday and Saturday.

As for WWOHP....since we stayed at the resort, we were able to get in an hour before the regular park opening. We walked onto Forbidden Journey three times, and my son had to wait 5 minutes to attend the show at Olivander's.

The ExpressPass works for the rest of the park except Rip Ride Rocket (and Pteranodon Flyers, a kiddie ride). While the crowds were not too huge, we were able to walk onto every ride and attraction. It saved us a lot of time over the course of a day, and were able to enjoy all our favorites as many times as we wanted.

So, if you can afford a night on-site, I'd definitely say go for it. The hotels are nice, and the early access to Harry Potter and the ExpressPass make it more than worth the price.

You should be fine in September, I don't think I waited more than 15 mins for anything. Of there's a queue, move on to something quieter.

The cars on hulk were going round half full the last hour or so.

One thing I would say though is if you're buying the pass, do it now! They were 25.99 for our dates, but when we looked this month they rocketed to 59.99!!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Sadly a night in a universal hotel is off the cards cause we can't really afford to add that much expense. :(

Think we'll give the Express Pass in advance. Both me and mum have come to the conclusion that we'd rather not spend the money if we don't need to! If we find it really unmanageable we'll just see if its possible to buy it on the day!

Thank you all again! :hug:

We did both parks in one day last year. And we ordered the Express Passes well in advance and only paid $20ish a person.

By the time our trip came round the passes were over $60/person.

They were lifesavers. Without them we would have missed a lot of rides. For $20 it was well worth the money to get the most from our one day at the parks.

How much is it for a night in a Universal hotel ? Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

it cost £177 on 5/9/11 it was a Monday night maybe expensive but there were 3 of us and tbh it was worth every penny to see the look of wonderment on DD1 face ( we had a pretty rough couple of years previously.)

We went in September 4 years ago, so pre-WWoHP, but everything was quiet. We did everything we wanted to in IOA in 3 1/2 hours, just missed Pseidon's Fury out, Universal was a little longer, due to the timings of shows.

We've also been in June a few times and never used Express Pass, just had to queue longer, but it didn't ruin the day, just took nearer 5-6 hours to get round. I think in June there was only 1 time we didn't go on a ride because the queue was ridiculously long (90 mins)

I would say, if you can save your money, then in September I don't think you need the Express Pass. If you don't mind being split up on rides, use the single rider queues, where there is one. When we've used them more often that not we've ended up in the same car, just on different rows.

I also find sometimes you meet interesting people in queues too, last time we went, 2 years ago, the girls in front of us, while queueing for Splash Mountain, started talking to us purely because of our British accents.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Sadly a night in a universal hotel is off the cards cause we can't really afford to add that much expense. :(

Think we'll give the Express Pass in advance. Both me and mum have come to the conclusion that we'd rather not spend the money if we don't need to! If we find it really unmanageable we'll just see if its possible to buy it on the day!

Thank you all again! :hug:

I would say thats your best bet. We usually go in September and the crowds are very light compared to holiday periods. If you decide you need them on the day, they are available at most of the stores. They cost the same as if you pre purchased them so might aswell test the water first! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter