1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Universal buys Wet 'n Wild and land around it

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by damo, Jun 27, 2013.

1. damo

damo Proud Redhead

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. RMulieri

RMulieri DIS Veteran

ooooh exciting!

4. Bluer101

Bluer101 Waiting till vacation comes, oh that's next week!

I saw that last night, things are getting real interesting and exciting.

5. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

6. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I have to think that given that they have a space on their property where a new highly themed waterpark would fit in nicely why would they buy the land of a 40 year old park they already owned.They know they need room to expand and if you were to buy a couple more of the properties around Wet n Wild they may have just been able to find the room needed for a third park.It's close enough to the main property and a lot of the properties around Wet n Wild are in decline or empty so a redevelopment of the area would not only give Universal a third park but would help the north end of I Drive which has several hotels and businesses either closing or in a state of decline.If you think about it the I Ride trolley doesn't even go to Universal now,if they put in a form of transport to get people over to the main site now people don't have to walk over.Obviously there would be some questions and concerns like the streets around the property,traffic,parking and getting people between the sites but this is Universal,they're just putting a train between IOA and USF and easily got a bridge approved for Cabana Bay,I have to believe there's more to this purchase than a simple purchase to keep a 40 year old waterpark.Sure they could retheme the waterpark and make it nicer but they know they need to expand to a third park and this mightgive them a shot.

7. BuzzBelleMom

BuzzBelleMom DIS Veteran

This is going to be interesting. popcorn::

8. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

once off the itrolley, you can catch a bus that drops you at #4.
    still some walk but better than walking all the way from Idrive.

9. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

last fall i took pictures of the construction from the hotel/rph, looking down and across the construction sites.

it was said then about adding the huge pool/water type park between the existing hotel to the new hotel.

now the rumors have been confirmed.

looks like UO is here to stay.......

10. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

According to the article, they did not own the property, they only leased it. This will now give them full ownership.

From the article:
    Up until today, Universal only leased Wet 'n Wild and did not own the land itself.

11. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

There is so much traffic in that area though. I wonder how or if they'll address that in some way?

This could be real exciting.

12. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

monorail? hehe

It would be awesome if Universal came up with some new transportation system this area :thumbsup2

13. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

:cool2: