• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal and Rain

Melika77

Mouseketeer
HI! How are Universal Studios and IOA during the rain? If it is lightly raining do they close the coasters at IOA? What rides don't run at all when it's raining at either park?

Thanks,
Melissa

If it is only a light rain then they won't shut them down. If there is lightning in the area they will close them or if it is a heavy down pour.

Rode Dr. Doom and Hulk in a pretty good rain last year.Had a blast and no wait at all:)

Most everything other than some of the shows stay open during rain (referred to on radio as a 10-13) :umbrella: (I've done Jaws spiels in some major downpours). The Hulk tends to have some launch problems when the cars (and hence the launch tires) get wet and cant get up to full launch speed.

Lightning on the other hand will close the coasters, Jaws and outdoor stuff. There are 2 levels of lightning, a 10-13 Silver is lightning within 10 miles of the park, and a 10-13 White which is lightning within 5 miles of the park. Jaws will remain open in a Silver, but shuts down immediately in a White.

Also, many ride experiences can be enhanced during the rain such as the hulk and JPRA. Actually today there was a very big downpour and when you ride the hulk it just hits you very hard in the face. It hurts after a few rides.

Keep in mind, often, it doesn't rain for very long in Florida, especially in the Summer. Usually, you can see the storm roll in and watch it leave the area all within an hour. Unless the forecast is for rain all day, always try to wait the storm out. You will make up the time you will lose waiting the storm out afterwards because the park will be almost empty, or at least much lighter attendance wise.

Of my few dozen trips to Florida, only once did weather ruin my trip. We were there for a week in April about 15 years ago. It rained all day, every day, except one. The local weathermen got a real kick out of it. One guy opened the morning weather segment every morning with, "Sorry Spring Breakers". I can still hear his voice and I still hate him!

Remember, everyone wants a sunny day at the parks. And that's the problem - that's when everyone goes and the parks are jammed.

Yeah every tourist here today thought that it would be sunny. It wasn't. You should see the bottom of my jeans. It rained so much. I don't know why we went on Ripsaw falls. It was kinda annoying today. We barely got on anything not only becasue the crowds, but Fear Factor Live. My brother tried out, but after they narrowed it to the final 6 he saw one of the four people cut. :sad2:

:umbrella: We couldn't decide if we'd do the "water" rides at IoA a couple of years ago, but we saw a storm rolling in and decided to go for it! Everyone else seemed to be running for cover but we knew we'd get soaked anyway as it was almost time for the park to close and we'd to get all the way back to the bus park...

...We did Popeye's Barges, Jurassic Park River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls all within a short space in time with only a short wait for each!

Only problem was we had to stand on the bus all the way back to the hotel, dripping wet! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter