• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

UNIVERSAL after a Disney cruise?

ritabug

Earning My Ears
We're planning to go to US/IOA after our 4 night cruise on the wonder. Has anyone ever done that? We were going to have reservations on an onsite hotel. We were thinking of having a Town car pick us up from Port Canaveral and bring us back to US? Any other ideas? Thanx

We love Universal (as well as Disney). We are doing a week at Universal and Disney before our Western Caribbean cruise in January. We are stating at a hotal between the two and saving a lot of $$ by not staying on site. We are a family of five and the on-sites at Universal that have "kid suites" to accomodate families of five were very pricey! Have you been to Universal before?? Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be glad you went! Have fun!
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :wave: :wave: :wave:

We are on the March 28th 4 day and then doing the Royal Pacific for 4 days after. I will let you know when I get back how it is!!

Last year, we divided our time bewteen Disney and Universal since our DS is getting a little older. The one advantage I see at Universal is the Front of the Line access for on site guests. we never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride. Most we were on in 5 minutes. I'd love to see Disney offer this, but with all the on-site hotels Disney probably couldn't do it.

We spent a few nights at Universal and it was awesome. My DH loved the FOL access so much that he said that he can't imagine going and not staying onsite again. :teeth:

All three of the resorts seem nice. I have thought about combining a trip on DCL and Universal when my DS is a little older and would enjoy more of the rides.

We are doing the same thing....After the 4day Wonder(Apr 25) ,we are heading over to Universal Royal Pacific for the rest of the week.. We are actually renting a car at the port since we will be driving home after Universal....

Cant wait for that FOTL...

Add us to the list! DH was talking of doing 4 days at WDW and 3 at USO/IOA and then a 7 night cruise. I thought we should take more time and do a week at WDW, then the 4 day cruise and 3 at USO/IOA. I have ressies at both Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. In October DH and I went on a NO KIDS weekend and REALLY enjoyed the HRH. However, after I booked it, I found the RPH for $100 LESS a night! So, now I am going to wait just a few more months to see if the HRH lowers their rates. If not, we'll be trying the RPH for the first time! We ate at the Tchoup Chop and thought the hotel was beautiful! We are going to try and get dinner PS for Christmas Day at Tchoup Chop! We had a great time at USO/IOA and can't wait to share that with the boys. FOTL access CAN'T be beat! We looked at just buying the Express Pass option, but with 4 of us, it would have cost nearly $100 for the day. Might as well stay at an onsite hotel and have unlimited FOTL access instead of the one time Express Pass option!

We like to do the cruise after the parks. That way you have a week to relax after the parks. When we do the parks, we go early mornig to close. IOA has great thrill rides!!!!

We are doing this as well. We are going to WDW 1st, then the Western Cruise, then Universal, and then back to WDW. Total it will be 2 weeks. I can't wait.... :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We went to Universal before our July cruise. I think it is important to understand the difference between Disney fastpass and FOTL at Universal. If you stay onsite, you literally are next in line (they scan your room key). I carefully read the Universal boards and got a $129 rate and think it was worth EVERY PENNY - we were able to see one park in less than one day and rode the popular rides many times!!!!!

If we go back I will probably pay for the cheapest room possible just to use the transporation and pools as a break but stay closer to Disney or in Disney.

Check out the Universal boards for more information
Barbara

Sounds like a great plan you have. We love Universal..stayed at RPR just last weekend.

You can beat the front of the line access for staying on site..well worth it.

There are almost always great rates on rooms!

Enjoy!

We are planning on visiting Universal too, but we are starting our trip with Universal. We booked a room at the Radisson Universal and it was about 225.00 CHEAPER per night than the Hard Rock Resort. The Radisson is right across the street from the park so you still benefit from being so close. Just no early entry.
Have a blast!

Wendy, have you thought about looking for discounts on rooms? Our room AAA rate was $220something....needless to say, I used the entertainment rate for a better deal

I think the advantage of FOTL depends on the crowds - a coworker went in the summer as I did, did not stay onsite and was able to ride only three rides in one day since most waits were 1.5 hours
Barbara

Just wanted to let you know that we spent last Friday nite at Royal Pacific. It is a very nice hotel and the employees were very friendly. However, as my 19 year old DD put it, "It seems more like a business hotel than a resort!" She really missed not having a balcony. Also, they had ashtrays on several of the tables around the pool and we ran into lots of smokers on the two afternoons we spent at the pool. That's something we haven't had any problems with at the Disney resorts. They did have bigger pool towels which was nice! (Am I trying to find something nice to say?)

We stayed there mainly for the FOTL pass because it was during spring break. Honestly, we didn't need it. We were there by 8:30 a.m. and they let us into the parks about 15 minutes later. We walked on every ride without using our Hotel Key/FOTL pass. In fact, the express line wasn't even open yet at the Dueling Dragons around 10:30 a.m. We got stuck in a little line on Ice because we didn't realize we got in the front seat only line. Didn't seem like they had many employees helping guests at the attractions at IOA/US. You were kinda left to fend for yourself. The only time it helped all day was when we rode MIB about 4:30 p.m.

I know most people really enjoy IOA but the only ride we thought even compared to any of Disney's was Spiderman! Our theme parks in Missouri--Worlds of Fun and Six Flags--have much better roller coasters and thrill rides! And we really enjoy coasters and thrill rides! Another family we met at the airport felt the same way we did about IOA/US.

I'm glad we tried it because we heard such great reviews but our extra day on our passes probably won't get used for several years and then we'll stay at a Disney resort and just go for the day.

If I were you, I would start with Universal because, if you don't like it, at least you'll have the rest of your Disney vacation to look forward to.

Donna

We have and love it. the resorts and FOTL are an awesome end to a relaxing vacation. You don't have to stand in long lines or anything of the sort. Have fun!

Just back from 7 day cruise and then four nights at RPR. It was all great. In my opinion with FOTL you really only need 2 days at Universal, (and from the cruise we were in our room at RPR shorty after 10am) am=nd then did the 1st park that day (got there around noon in the park). Loved RPR and really loved their beds. Loved FOTL. We rented a car from Port Canaveral amd kept it for the four days. Did not really need it to be honest but for the cost of getting from the Port and then to the airport from RPR it was worth the conveneince.

Any questions just let me know/

Debbie

We are staying at the Beach Club for 2 days prior to our first Disney Cruise - 5/8 Western. Couldn't imagine getting on the plane right away, so we made reservations for the RPR on Saturday, 5/15. Looking forward to the FOTL access as we will only have one day to spend at Universal.

Can anyone recommend whether to do US or IOA. I have a DS 15 and DD 10,

Thanks.

Last year we did the 4 day cruise followed by 4 nights at PBH. A few months ago we stayed at RPH. The two resorts are very different but both nice. Depends on what you are looking for. After the cruise the room at PBH seemed HUGE to us. The hotel was a very nice respite from the crowds at the park. RPH seemed much more congested and crowded, but it was nice as well. The major advantage to RPH was it was within walking distance of the parks. FOTL is a must have in summer, and with FOTL you can do everything in 2 days. Or even better have the time to enjoy the hotel. I spent one day at the PBH spa. It was wonderful and better prices than the spa on the ship. I've done the cruise spa and it was nice but I was very happy with the PBH spa. I found the pace at PBH to match nicely with "cruise" mode. We also rented at cabana one day at the HRH pool and that was great!! For us we liked the cruise followed by PBH. We used the entertainment rate for the room. We like the HRH pool best, the rooms at PBH best and the location of RPH!!!! No matter the order you'll have a great time!:wave2:

Hey Professorandmom!!! (Our wonderful table mates on the cruise, we met on these boards and had a great time together!!)

palisa,

With your age group, I think IOA will be alot more fun, however, there is a good chance that the Mummy roller coaster will be open at the Studios and I hear it will be out of this world. I would buy a two park 1 day pass if I were you. You will get the best of both parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter