Universal/adventure island newbie...need help!!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out!!!

Another question...this is about lockers...

So I've read that you must leave your belongings in a locker for all the rides. I will be bringing a back pack w/water, snacks, a hoodie maybe, etc. at each ride, are there cubbies to place your backpacks while you ride the rides? They have these cubbies at our local theme parks (knotts) on rides where you are not allowed to carry any backpacks/purses etc. but you just walk over to place your things in there and board the ride right after you place it in the cubby, and when you get back from the ride, get off and retrieve your belongings, and the next set of riders are there placing their belongings as you walk to the exit turnstile/area...

Hope I'm making sense!

So my question is...must I leave my backpack in a central locker area (I really don't want to, since my water will be in my backpack...and I would rather have access to that at my leisure...not having to go back to the lockers area to get a drink of water or whatnot...) or are those cubby things (I mentioned above) available for each ride? Or at least on the rides where you absolutely cannot bring any bags (including purses and such)...

Again, thank you all!! :flower:

No cubbys per say, except dr doom. But here is all the info on free ride lockers and paid lockers.

All-Day Lockers
These lockers charge one flat rate for a full day, and can be opened and re-locked by the original user as many times as you like during your visit. All-day lockers come in two sizes: regular (approx. 9.5" wide x 17" high x 17” deep) for $8 per day, or roomier “Family size” (approx. 12.5” wide x 17” high x 25” deep or larger) for $10 per day.

All-Day Lockers can be found in the following locations:

Universal Studios Florida All-Day Lockers
  • Next to the Studio Audience Center inside the front gate (regular size).
  • Behind the restrooms near the Studio Audience Center (family size).
  • Near the exit turnstiles, next to wheelchair and stroller rental (regular size).
  • Outside the park to the far right of the entrance, around the corner from Guest Services (jumbo family size, up to 23" high x 35" deep).
Islands of Adventure All-Day Lockers
  • Outside the exit turnstiles at Group Sales (jumbo family size, up to 15.5" wide x 17" or 23" high x 35" deep).
  • Inside the front gate near wheelchair and stroller rental (regular and family size).
Free Short-Term Lockers
Universal enforces a mandatory locker system at its big thrill rides. Small lockers (approx. 9.5” wide x 11.5” high x 17” deep) outside these attractions are free for an amount of time that varies with the length of the standby line. So if the line is 30 minutes, for example, and the ride itself is 10 minutes, you get 40 minutes plus a small cushion of about 15 minutes. The lockers then cost $3 for each half-hour after that, with a $20 daily maximum.

Free short-term lockers are located at the following attractions:

Universal Studios Florida Free Short-Term Lockers
  • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
  • Revenge of the Mummy
  • MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
  • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Islands of Adventure Free Short-Term Lockers
  • The Incredible Hulk Coaster
  • Dragon Challenge
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
On most of the above rides, all bags, purses, and other objects too large to be secured in a pocket must be placed in a free locker during your ride; wallets, cell phones, and compact cameras are generally permitted, as are small hip belts or fanny packs that can be securely fastened and tucked beneath a shirt.

In 2015, Universal began strictly enforcing a “no loose items” policy at The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Dragon Challenge. At these rides, guests are required to pass through an airport-style security screening (complete with walk-through metal detectors and electronic scanning wands) to ensure no phones, keys, or even spare change enter the queue. You should be permitted to keep your prescription eyeglasses and ticket lanyard.

If the ride breaks down while you are in line, and you exceed your free usage period through no fault of your own, a locker attendant can override the charge upon request.

When you want to ride a thrill ride but don't want to bother with a locker, you can use each attraction's “Child Swap” area as a “Bag Swap,” and leave a non-rider with your belongings. This can be an especially useful technique for the Harry Potter rides, since the free lockers are too small to hold some wand boxes from Ollivanders, and the locker banks for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts are frequently overcrowded.

Paid Short-Term Lockers
Universal does not enforce mandatory locker usage on its water rides, but does conveniently (or capitalistically) provide paid short-term lockers outside each attraction that is likely to soak you and your belongings. The lockers are the same size as the free ones (approx. 9.5” wide x 11.5” high x 17” deep) and operate identically. The difference is that they cost $4 for the first 90 minutes, and $3 for each additional hour after that, with a $20 daily maximum.

Paid short-term lockers are located only in IOA at the following attractions:

Islands of Adventure Paid Short-Term Lockers
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure
  • Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
  • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges

No cubbys per say, except dr doom. But here is all the info on free ride lockers and paid lockers.

All-Day Lockers
These lockers charge one flat rate for a full day, and can be opened and re-locked by the original user as many times as you like during your visit. All-day lockers come in two sizes: regular (approx. 9.5" wide x 17" high x 17” deep) for $8 per day, or roomier “Family size” (approx. 12.5” wide x 17” high x 25” deep or larger) for $10 per day.

All-Day Lockers can be found in the following locations:

Universal Studios Florida All-Day Lockers
  • Next to the Studio Audience Center inside the front gate (regular size).
  • Behind the restrooms near the Studio Audience Center (family size).
  • Near the exit turnstiles, next to wheelchair and stroller rental (regular size).
  • Outside the park to the far right of the entrance, around the corner from Guest Services (jumbo family size, up to 23" high x 35" deep).
Islands of Adventure All-Day Lockers
  • Outside the exit turnstiles at Group Sales (jumbo family size, up to 15.5" wide x 17" or 23" high x 35" deep).
  • Inside the front gate near wheelchair and stroller rental (regular and family size).
Free Short-Term Lockers
Universal enforces a mandatory locker system at its big thrill rides. Small lockers (approx. 9.5” wide x 11.5” high x 17” deep) outside these attractions are free for an amount of time that varies with the length of the standby line. So if the line is 30 minutes, for example, and the ride itself is 10 minutes, you get 40 minutes plus a small cushion of about 15 minutes. The lockers then cost $3 for each half-hour after that, with a $20 daily maximum.

Free short-term lockers are located at the following attractions:

Universal Studios Florida Free Short-Term Lockers
  • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
  • Revenge of the Mummy
  • MEN IN BLACK Alien Attack
  • Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Islands of Adventure Free Short-Term Lockers
  • The Incredible Hulk Coaster
  • Dragon Challenge
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
On most of the above rides, all bags, purses, and other objects too large to be secured in a pocket must be placed in a free locker during your ride; wallets, cell phones, and compact cameras are generally permitted, as are small hip belts or fanny packs that can be securely fastened and tucked beneath a shirt.

In 2015, Universal began strictly enforcing a “no loose items” policy at The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Dragon Challenge. At these rides, guests are required to pass through an airport-style security screening (complete with walk-through metal detectors and electronic scanning wands) to ensure no phones, keys, or even spare change enter the queue. You should be permitted to keep your prescription eyeglasses and ticket lanyard.

If the ride breaks down while you are in line, and you exceed your free usage period through no fault of your own, a locker attendant can override the charge upon request.

When you want to ride a thrill ride but don't want to bother with a locker, you can use each attraction's “Child Swap” area as a “Bag Swap,” and leave a non-rider with your belongings. This can be an especially useful technique for the Harry Potter rides, since the free lockers are too small to hold some wand boxes from Ollivanders, and the locker banks for Forbidden Journey and Gringotts are frequently overcrowded.

Paid Short-Term Lockers
Universal does not enforce mandatory locker usage on its water rides, but does conveniently (or capitalistically) provide paid short-term lockers outside each attraction that is likely to soak you and your belongings. The lockers are the same size as the free ones (approx. 9.5” wide x 11.5” high x 17” deep) and operate identically. The difference is that they cost $4 for the first 90 minutes, and $3 for each additional hour after that, with a $20 daily maximum.

Paid short-term lockers are located only in IOA at the following attractions:

Islands of Adventure Paid Short-Term Lockers
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure
  • Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
  • Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges

Thank you so much!!! This a lot of help!! So at those free lockers w/limited time, do you get a "ticket"...like a ticket you get at a parking garage? Everything is automated? Or are there an attendant manning the area?

free lockers uses a finger scan to open them.
directions on this procedure is listed at the lockers.

Thanx! How would the lockers know what the wait time is at a particular ride? I'm sure they have all this down to science...but I'm just trying to figure out our family plan..and trying to know all there is, before we head out there. It's the obsessiveness in me... :flower:

Thanx! How would the lockers know what the wait time is at a particular ride? I'm sure they have all this down to science...but I'm just trying to figure out our family plan..and trying to know all there is, before we head out there. It's the obsessiveness in me... :flower:

The lockers are computer controlled with finger print. The free ride lockers are hooked up to the ride time in someway. There are locker attendants should you have any issues. They can be a pain sometimes but are very easy to use. We don't travel in the parks with anything that won't fit in our cargo shorts.

With the metal detectors my DW holds on to our stuff as she does not ride. I don't need a water bottle anymore thanks to the coke freestyle machines all over the place with free filtered water.

The lockers are computer controlled with finger print. The free ride lockers are hooked up to the ride time in someway. There are locker attendants should you have any issues. They can be a pain sometimes but are very easy to use. We don't travel in the parks with anything that won't fit in our cargo shorts.

With the metal detectors my DW holds on to our stuff as she does not ride. I don't need a water bottle anymore thanks to the coke freestyle machines all over the place with free filtered water.

Thank you!!! What's the coke freestyle machines?!! You got me at "free"...do tell me more!

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/home/

Coke Freestyle machines are at a lot of fast food places now (outside of the parks). I know Wendy's has them in a lot of locations. Where I am, Zaxby's and Firehouse Subs also have them.

They are around the Universal parks and you can use then for free iced water.

The lockers are pretty convenient. On most of the rides, you can still carry stuff in your pocket. I usually type the locker number into a Note on my phone so that I remember which one we got. Recently, they added metal detectors at the big coasters (Hulk, Dragons, Rip Ride) so you have to empty your pockets for those.

Thank you!!! What's the coke freestyle machines?!! You got me at "free"...do tell me more!

Free ice and free ice cold filtered water. We very really buy a soda in the park anymore due to these machines with it so easy to get water. The old way and still can be done is ask anywhere in the parks and most CW stands for a plastic cup of ice water. It is policy to provide this as a courteous. But if you go to a Freestyle machine location just ask at a nearby counter for a plastic water cup as you will get your own water, easy as pie. I don't have to carry anything to stay hydrated in the summer.

Here is a list of locations.

Participating Coca-Cola freestyle® locations:

Universal Studios Florida®: Mel’s Drive In, ICEE Cart in World Expo, Kid Zone Pizza Co., Lagoon Lemonade Cart, San Francisco Pastry Shop, Louie’s Italian Restaurant, Richter’s Burger Co., Universal Studios’ Classic Monsters Cafe

Universal’s Islands of Adventure®: The Burger Digs, Oasis Coolers, Comic Strip Cafe, Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous™, Moose Juice, Goose Juice, Captain America Diner®, Dining Reservation Cart, Pizza Predattoria®, Beer Cart across from Thunder Falls Terrace®, The Watering HoleSM

Freestyle_th007.jpg

54cb7bca90852_-_coke-freestyle-machine-122110-xlg.jpg

Coke Freestyle machines are at a lot of fast food places now (outside of the parks). I know Wendy's has them in a lot of locations. Where I am, Zaxby's and Firehouse Subs also have them.

The lockers are pretty convenient. On most of the rides, you can still carry stuff in your pocket. I usually type the locker number into a Note on my phone so that I remember which one we got. Recently, they added metal detectors at the big coasters (Hulk, Dragons, Rip Ride) so you have to empty your pockets for those.

Sorry about the previous post above...

Thanx for the info! :)

Free ice and free ice cold filtered water. We very really buy a soda in the park anymore due to these machines with it so easy to get water. The old way and still can be done is ask anywhere in the parks and most CW stands for a plastic cup of ice water. It is policy to provide this as a courteous. But if you go to a Freestyle machine location just ask at a nearby counter for a plastic water cup as you will get your own water, easy as pie. I don't have to carry anything to stay hydrated in the summer.

Here is a list of locations.

Participating Coca-Cola freestyle® locations:

Universal Studios Florida®: Mel’s Drive In, ICEE Cart in World Expo, Kid Zone Pizza Co., Lagoon Lemonade Cart, San Francisco Pastry Shop, Louie’s Italian Restaurant, Richter’s Burger Co., Universal Studios’ Classic Monsters Cafe

Universal’s Islands of Adventure®: The Burger Digs, Oasis Coolers, Comic Strip Cafe, Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous™, Moose Juice, Goose Juice, Captain America Diner®, Dining Reservation Cart, Pizza Predattoria®, Beer Cart across from Thunder Falls Terrace®, The Watering HoleSM

Freestyle_th007.jpg

54cb7bca90852_-_coke-freestyle-machine-122110-xlg.jpg

Thanx!! So if I bring our own water bottle, I can easily refill it from these machines for free! That is good to know!! :)

This universal newbie has done it...finished our 3 days at the dark side! It was so much fun! Thank you for all your tips and suggestions!! They were so very helpful!!! :flower:

Fantastic!!!

Glad you had such a good trip and really enjoyed it :thumbsup2

This universal newbie has done it...finished our 3 days at the dark side! It was so much fun! Thank you for all your tips and suggestions!! They were so very helpful!!! :flower:

now you are a pro at the darkside....!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter