• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

United cutting 1,600 jobs and grounding 100 flights....

dvcgirl

DIS Veteran
This just hit the wires. Similar news out of AA last week.

Be sure to do a lot of checking of flights if you've got em booked folks! Times are certainly changing in the airline industry.....and fast!

Good grief!:eek: I can't afford to fly those airlines but either way it is truly a bad sign. Our economy has quickly spiraled out of control. It just shows that gas/oil prices are affected everyone and everything.

Spirit had worse bad news last night. Another airline to check frequently.

I've got tickets on Frontier for September and October... This'll be interesting. :headache:

I recently flew cross country on United and MAN was it the worst flying day of my life. They had 3 fully booked flights that were "delayed" so I had to spend the night at my connecting city because I missed my connecting flight. Man it was so not fun.

They better start drilling in ANWAR so that we can all still get to Disney in the future!!!

They better start drilling in ANWAR so that we can all still get to Disney in the future!!!

Disney? In Orlando? Didn't you hear, seems like all the major carriers are drastically cutting flights to/fro Orlando this fall! I believe DL's having a 45% cut in flights to MCO b'c it doesn't pay them to fly there! The other carriers are planning on doing the same. It's gonna be bad! Better book AMTRAK!

NBC News tonight said airfares are likely to increase 3-6 times above what they are now. I fear airplane travel will soon only be available to the wealthy.

And check out MSN...some airlines are seriously considering charging for bag weight AND passenger weight???? are you kidding me????

Disney? In Orlando? Didn't you hear, seems like all the major carriers are drastically cutting flights to/fro Orlando this fall! I believe DL's having a 45% cut in flights to MCO b'c it doesn't pay them to fly there! The other carriers are planning on doing the same. It's gonna be bad! Better book AMTRAK!

If only they took better care of AMTRAK and had more routes! Too bad AMTRAK hasn't had a cross country southern route since Katrina...
We take AMTRAK to DLR and wish the country had developed the train system better through the years..since..say..our big warning in the 70's..

Crossing my fingers that AirTran doesn't have problems....we fly out of Indy in Sept.

Just got an email last night that our flight times have been changed around, but not cancelled yet!!

This just hit the wires. Similar news out of AA last week.

Be sure to do a lot of checking of flights if you've got em booked folks! Times are certainly changing in the airline industry.....and fast!

Continental Airlines isn't far behind. My brother works for them and has been given notice that his job has been outbid, outsourced (or something like that :sad2: ) as of October 31.

And check out MSN...some airlines are seriously considering charging for bag weight AND passenger weight???? are you kidding me????

Yes, they were kidding you, it was a joke about the passenger weight.

A few nights ago the news said that airlines companies no longer have net 20 to pay their fuel costs. The airline companies used to have 20 days after they received their fuel to pay for it. The airlines are in such trouble that the fuel companies want the fuel payments up front.

Yes, they were kidding you, it was a joke about the passenger weight.

I don't think they can charge each passenger based on their weight. But if the planes are heavier overall, that means more fuel burn, which means more cost to the airlines, which means fares would have to increase. I don't know how much longer airlines can hang on when the cost of tickets aren't covering their expenses. :confused3 I think something is going to have to change and soon.

A similar restructuring is underway at Continental, to the tune of 3,000 layoffs and an 11% reduction in flights, according to CNBC and USA TODAY.

Yes Mr. Marv it did, my neighbor works for Continental in downtown Houston and she's been fearing this for the past couple months since she's in the Senior age of 60. although she thinks if it happens then she'll get a severance package but It's getting Bad nowadays.

And this is just the airline industry! I think we are seeing what is to come in many, many industries.

The problem too is.....where are these 1000's of people losing jobs going to go?

This is a nighmare for so many people.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter