Unhappy with POR

Sammie said:
Our room was not ready until 7pm and we were given some discount off the room rate but it was the Grand Floridian.

I was given an upgrade once at the Yacht Club for a problem similar to the OPs and Sammie's--I was also told that the room would be ready in a few minutes, and it took several more hours in reality. Can't recall what the cause was--but the manager gave us a one category view upgrade.

magsmom said:
BTW: GF...excuse me, its ok to treat people like cattle at the resorts that I can afford?

Ouch, I think Sammie was just pointing out that it was at a different resort, not implying any comment about the differences in the hotel's level. I think that the GF actually has a really good service team in place right now, so they might have their act together in terms of handling service issues more promptly (possibly more so than another management team at another Disney resort, but I am purely speculating). I had fairly good luck when I've stayed at the Port Orleans hotels so far--but that's not to say that a late check-in couldn't happen to any one of us. I'm sorry that it happened to you and anyone else it has inconvenienced, such as the OP--like I mentioned, I had that happen at the Yacht Club once and remember the frustration.

To the OP, I completely understand why you were unhappy about having to wait 'til 5. Check-in is 3pm and your room should have been ready or, at the very least, they should have been honest with you and not said it would be ready in a few minutes unless they were absolutely certain. Often, all that's needed is an apology and a brief explanation such as "we're sorry, we're running behind schedule", or "sorry for the inconvenience, our restaurants and pool are open for your enjoyment while you wait" or something along those lines. Basic customer service!

We'll be travelling all day (as many other guests will) on an international flight and I would hate to wait a further 2 hours for our room. Like I say, it's completely understandable why you were frustrated with them. :hug:

I've been in the OP's shoes, and it's not a pleasant situation. The big problem is with the original CM who said the room would be ready shortly. To me, shortly means within 15-20 minutes. Not 2.5 hours later. We had a similar situation at the GF, and we didn't get into our room until 6:00pm, after being told "just a few minutes" several times.

I think the OP has some very legitimate gripes. If there was a room available, unless it was blocked for medical purposes it should have been offered. Even if it didn't meet any requests they had, they should have been given the choice.

To the OP, you did have the option of retreiving your luggage and taking out warmer clothes. We've done that a few times and it's not a big deal. But I do believe that from the start you should have been told that it would be a couple hours. If the communication between housekeeping and the front desk is that poor, then either people need further training or new jobs.

IMHO it's simply poor show for the resort to string people along. And IMHO if check-in is advertised at 3:00pm, then people should be able to get into rooms at 3:00pm, or say 3:30 at the latest, even if it means management is changing sheets or doing laundry or whatever else is needed to get them turned over.

Anne

magsmom said:
On your last post you said 5:00. Now you are saying that it is appropriate to compensate if the room is not ready until 7:00? Can we have some consistency?

BTW: GF...excuse me, its ok to treat people like cattle at the resorts that I can afford?

That was harsh and rather rude. Geez... If that was your attitude at check-in, then maybe there is a reason you didn't get a room right away. :rolleyes:

Sammie said "After 5:00." I took the mention of the GF to mean that it wasn't at the same resort so things might be handled differently. A little defensive are we? If Sammie had said the ASMu would you have reacted the same way? Um, right. Didn't think so. :scratchin

Anne

ducklite said:
That was harsh and rather rude. Geez... If that was your attitude at check-in, then maybe there is a reason you didn't get a room right away. :rolleyes:

Sammie said "After 5:00." I took the mention of the GF to mean that it wasn't at the same resort so things might be handled differently. A little defensive are we? If Sammie had said the ASMu would you have reacted the same way? Um, right. Didn't think so. :scratchin

Anne

Can't agree more, it is a shame that before someone chooses to insult someone else on the DIS boards they don't at least read the post correctly.

Sammie said:
Our room was not ready until 7pm and we were given some discount off the room rate but it was the Grand Floridian.

Of all our times at the Poly we've never had a room ready earlier then 4pm with most being ready at 5pm. We did wait once til 6pm but they paid for our Captain Cook's food while we waited. I should have asked for a rooms discount but didn't see the big deal in waiting til 6pm.

Most of the time we drive so we arrive around 2:00. Sometimes the room is ready, but often it is not. Only once did we have to wait until past 5:00 and that was the Contemporary. I'm sure the OP was irritated because they were cold...heck, I HATE to be cold especially in Florida. That's why I don't like going during the iffy months of Jan and Feb. Anyway, I don't think the OP was saying it ruined the trip.

As a rule, I'm impressed with the check-in CM's but we have had bad experiences. It can put a bit of a damper on the resort...they are the first person, besides the security CM, that you interact with upon arrival. It's like they say - the receptionist is the most important person at a company. It's so true.

PamNC

Wow - This thread has gotten interesting!

My 2 cents - I agree with the OP for being upset. However, I think (zippering up my flame retardent suit) that this thread brings out the real issue - Disney's failure to recognize and admit their mistakes and make up for it.

95% of the time, I deal with delightful CM's who make my vacation all the more magical. However, I havde dealt on occassion with rude, unknowledgeable CM's, who make things difficult. At times, it's been so bad that I've approached someone at management, and the response always seems to be the same: I get quoted back some "policy" of theirs that gives Disney immunity from responsibility. Just suck it up, apologize, and make up for it. What's so hard about that?

That being said, sure, there are times when bad things happen that management is great about it and more than willing to right a wrong, but far too often, to myself, and to others, Disney turns a deaf ear to taking resposibility for a mistake in which they made. It seems that's what happened with the OP in her case.

I do apologize. That was not my attitude at 3, at 4:45 (call from off property), or at 5:30 from the lobby.

However, IRREGARDELSS of resort, Disney or not, the room should be ready at check-in or soon thereafter. The fact that anyone has to wait 2, 3, or 4 hours beyond that is bad customer service.

No matter where you stay, time is money. Look at it this way: a 4 hour wait past 3:00 equates to roughly $70-80 at the GF/YC, $30 at a mod, and $20-25 at a value.

I'm sure sammie was not happy at 6:30 - I wouldn't be, either.

magsmom said:
However, IRREGARDELSS of resort, Disney or not, the room should be ready at check-in or soon thereafter.
I sincerely hope you did that as a joke :)

I just have to post here because I totally think it is ridiculous to wait until 5 for your room and I will tell you why. On our last trip we had a later flight (around 5pm give or take) and we wanted a late checkout. We had to pay almost a full nights price for a few hours extra!!! We didn't mind paying as rules are rules but if I have to pay to use the room for a little longer then you better take the money off if YOU aren't going to have my room ready on time. JMHO.

boomhauer said:
Wow - This thread has gotten interesting!

My 2 cents - I agree with the OP for being upset. However, I think (zippering up my flame retardent suit) that this thread brings out the real issue - Disney's failure to recognize and admit their mistakes and make up for it.

95% of the time, I deal with delightful CM's who make my vacation all the more magical. However, I havde dealt on occassion with rude, unknowledgeable CM's, who make things difficult. At times, it's been so bad that I've approached someone at management, and the response always seems to be the same: I get quoted back some "policy" of theirs that gives Disney immunity from responsibility. Just suck it up, apologize, and make up for it. What's so hard about that?

That being said, sure, there are times when bad things happen that management is great about it and more than willing to right a wrong, but far too often, to myself, and to others, Disney turns a deaf ear to taking resposibility for a mistake in which they made. It seems that's what happened with the OP in her case.

Boomhauer, I think you really summed it up best here. :thumbsup2

Yes, I feel you definetly have to let things roll at times while on vacation, but a room not being ready until 5pm or later is just not good customer service. At this point the customer needs to be communicated with and dealt with in a friendly and respectful manner. I think the OP should be upset for having to wait a few hours past 3pm for a room. Not having a room in a timely manner really can be a big deal. ::yes::

plutojudy said:
We didn't get our room until 5:00. On our last call to see if our room was ready they still said no. When we told them we walked around the building we were assigned to and saw 27 clean and empty rooms on the first floor alone, they finally assigned us a room. When we checked in at 2:30 the indifferent CM told us our room would be ready in a few minutes. We still cannot figure out what that was all about. Check in is 3:00. We have stayed at many Disney resorts and this is the first time we had to wait past 3:00 for our room. A few times after cruises other resorts gave us a room as early as 10:00am.

Sorry it took so long for you to get your room.
I would like to point out that perhaps those "empty" rooms you saw were already assigned to other guests.
Remember a lot of guests use the ME service now and it can take two or three hours before the luggage is delivered to the room. So what "looked" like empty rooms to you may have already been assigned to other guests.
Thanks for posting. Although I am sure it was very disappointing to have to wait until 5 PM to get your room I think many readers have benifited from your post and learned that it is not that unusual to have to wait until 5 Pm for their room Thanks to your post they canw plan their first
day at Disney accordingly. Hope the rest of stay wonderful.

Our check in to POR went very smoothly. New Year's Day, arrived at 11:00 am got our room by 12:30pm. No problems thru the stay.

Then... on check out day we had pre-arranged luggage pick up for10:00 am to be retrieved by us at luggage services at 6:00 pm. We had a 9:00pm flight.
After a wonderful day at MK and DQ we returned to POR for a quick meal and to pick up our bags it was 6:05. No bags. Luggage services has no idea where our bags are, though records show they were picked up. After 45 minutes of people running around all crazy, DH fuming :mad: , DD crying about missing teddybear :sad: , me worrying about missing our flight and trying to remain calm :scared: , luggage guys whipping around the resort on those golf cart thingies....they finally located our luggage...still in our room where we had left it early that morning. The Luggage Services manager apologized for the inconvenience...and promised to put a $50 credit on my CC.....Didn't Happen :( .

This is my only truly negative Disney experience EVER. We loved POR otherwise, though the mousekeepers were not as thorough as they were at POP. One day the bed wasn't even made....and we tip well. :confused3

If it was me I would of been upset that the CM lead me to believe it was only going to be a few minutes. That raised the OP's expectations for a time much sooner than they got. I think we all agree the CM didn't handle this very well. I also think that if the weather being so lousy didn't help matters. I know I wouldn't have been happy waiting till 5pm for my room if it was cold and rainy. Now sunny and 80 degrees that makes it a little easier to wait.

By magsmom:
However, IRREGARDELSS of resort, Disney or not, the room should be ready at check-in or soon thereafter.

LindsayDunn228 said:
I sincerely hope you did that as a joke :)

So magsmom used one little word that is often mistakenly believed to be correct... :eek: No. biggie. Maybe the computer made her do it. Bad spell check didn't catch it...Bad computer :badpc:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter