Unfortunate way to end our magical cruise

My DW and I were on the Fantasy 9/1 to 9/8. On one of the mornings my DW forgot to put on her earrings. She has a ritual of leaving them on the glass shelf above the sink in the bathroom with the shower (type 5A room). We went on an excursion, and while we were go my DW realized she had left her earrings on the mentioned shelf.

Upon our return we were not surprised that they were gone. I notified ship security and they determined that the only other person in our room was the room steward. I ended up talking with the floor steward supervisor and was pretty much told that his stuward couldn't have stolen the earrings because they aren't allowed to remome anything form those shelves.

By the end of the ordeal (cruise), my DW and I were the criminals and not the room steward. I was told to file a claim with my insurance. I am now in the process of filing a claim with the insurance we purchased through DCL.

The earrings were valued at aound $400. The money is not my issue. I was told by ship security that there was not a criminal act when the earrings came up missing. Meaning, that anything comes up in your room, it's on you to prove a DCL employee took it.

This was our 10th cruise and nothing has ever happened like this. Yes, my wife is partially responsible for the earrings being missing, but without someone to remove them they will be in the custody of my wife.

For those talking about the door being propped open for cleaning and staff running from room to room. That is their practice and I would still blame DCL.

The room steward remained our steward until we docked. I requested a change of room steward and was denied.

DO NOT leave anything you do not stolen in the reach of anyone. Wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

I was told by ship security that there was not a criminal act when the earrings came up missing. Meaning, that anything comes up in your room, it's on you to prove a DCL employee took it.

And that's the correct assumption. Innocent until proven guilty. Not responsible for valuables not left in safe, etc...

Just because you are in a ship in the middle of an ocean doesn't mean that these things don't happen. Or that others get in your room due to the CM leaving the door propped open.

My .02...

Any other cruise line one might be more "acceptable" of this happening, but when it's on a Disney ship it just seems like an extra punch in the gut! :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter