unemployment and pay for past work

whatname

Mouseketeer
I keep thinking about this and don't know the answer, so I'm asking so I can quit thinking about it. I'm self-employed and get a 1099. I have been unable to apply for unemployment because my state is not set up to handle those claims yet. I haven't had work in over a month. I did sent out invoices for work that I had done before I became unemployed but have not been paid for that work, as the vendor was also shutdown. All invoices were sent by the end of March with my last day of work being March 13. I have been able to see that they are processing those payments (good news to get some money!) But, how will that affect my unemployment claim? It will be income that I will probably get in a few weeks, but it was for work that I did in February/beginning of March.

I know the way unemployment is processing, it will probably be weeks before I see any money anyway, but I keep thinking this is going to mess it all up, so maybe I shouldn't even bother.
Anyone know how this works? I've never applied for unemployment in the past.

Thanks!

I keep thinking about this and don't know the answer, so I'm asking so I can quit thinking about it. I'm self-employed and get a 1099. I have been unable to apply for unemployment because my state is not set up to handle those claims yet. I haven't had work in over a month. I did sent out invoices for work that I had done before I became unemployed but have not been paid for that work, as the vendor was also shutdown. All invoices were sent by the end of March with my last day of work being March 13. I have been able to see that they are processing those payments (good news to get some money!) But, how will that affect my unemployment claim? It will be income that I will probably get in a few weeks, but it was for work that I did in February/beginning of March.

I know the way unemployment is processing, it will probably be weeks before I see any money anyway, but I keep thinking this is going to mess it all up, so maybe I shouldn't even bother.
Anyone know how this works? I've never applied for unemployment in the past.

Thanks!
The money you will receive is for past work not current. You will be considered unemployed from your "last job" or "day worked" not the date you receive payment. At least this is my understanding.

The money you will receive is for past work not current. You will be considered unemployed from your "last job" or "day worked" not the date you receive payment. At least this is my understanding.

Yes, that is my understanding too. You report it whenever you finally get to file, as money for the day you worked. It will help determine your benefits.

Keep checking your state's unemployment website daily as the technology gets updated and glitches get solved on a daily basis. In my state, the federal government fixed a problem in the way things were being processed just on Monday. It used to be that one had to file with Unemployment fitst. Be turned down, and then the person would then have to file for the federal government benefits. NOW, one only has to file once, with Unemployment. If not qualified for unemployment benefits, then it automatically gets sent to foe the governmental funds. No refiling. And this is some 6-ish weeks after this whole thing began, that they NOW have worked out how it should have been all along. :rolleyes:

Thanks! That's what I was thinking and hoping!

Yes, that is my understanding too. You report it whenever you finally get to file, as money for the day you worked. It will help determine your benefits.

Keep checking your state's unemployment website daily as the technology gets updated and glitches get solved on a daily basis. In my state, the federal government fixed a problem in the way things were being processed just on Monday. It used to be that one had to file with Unemployment fitst. Be turned down, and then the person would then have to file for the federal government benefits. NOW, one only has to file once, with Unemployment. If not qualified for unemployment benefits, then it automatically gets sent to foe the governmental funds. No refiling. And this is some 6-ish weeks after this whole thing began, that they NOW have worked out how it should have been all along. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info and the advice. Yes, I'm checking regularly. I'm hoping things get moving soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter