Underwater/waterproof cameras, cases and housings

I searched back but didn't see anything...

I'm ready to buy my first underwater digital camera, reading reviews and such now. I don't want housing for my existing cameras which is what I looked at first. This would be mostly for snorkeling and scuba, plus taking snapshots of the kiddos in the water on vacation.

Any suggestions/warnings/ideas would be great.

Thanks so much!

Olympus and Fuji have some.
Olympus 8000
Olympus 550WP
Olympus 6000
and
I do not know the fuji model number off hand.

I have the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW and it is great. I purchased it before our trip in August to Mexico for use on an all-day snorkeling trip. We snorkeled in a cave, in the ocean with sea turtles, in a lagoon, etc. and it worked out very well.

Two things worth mentioning:

1. There is no viewfinder---just an LCD screen, which is fine for use in the water, but when on dry land I found it difficult to review my photos because of the glare on the screen.

2. The camera is a heavy little sucker. It's shock-proof, waterproof, freezeproof, etc. If you plan on taking it in deep water, make sure it's wrapped very securely around your wrist or buy one of the floating wrist straps. Not sure how well they work, but if you lose your hold on it in deep water, you're pretty much up a creek without a paddle.

Here are some sample pics:

(Underwater)

Mexico%20198.JPG

Mexico%20258.

Mexico%20275.JPG

(Above water)

Mexico%20126.JPG

Mexico%20163.JPG

I've been SCUBA diving for about 20 years and have been toying around with the idea of getting one of the Canons that has a housing for it. That way I can have a nice P&S above with the flexability to take it to 100+ft.

However, I still shoot with a Sea & Sea SeaMaster Pro-EX 35mm with a YS-50 strobe. It doesn't have TTL focusing so I have to estimate the distance and dial it in! :scared1:

I dive and so does husband - he uses a SeaLife DC600 with a strobe (and he's not the photographer in the family!) and I just shoot with a Reefmaster Mini. Although it's not the quality you'd see of a nice DSLR in a housing, they are fun and easy to use.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!! I'm off to research them all now. :banana:

annnewjerz - I'm impressed with your pics, especially considering the price of that camera. Thank you for sharing them with me.

Canon has a new underwater, shock proof etc. camera due out sometime this month. My DDs have the Olympus ones and have had a great time with them. The photos turn out fine as do the underwater shots.

I am looking to purchase a digital camera that is waterproof and shockproof. I know of the Olympus Stylus cameras and was wondering what are your opinions of these cameras. Do they have a good picture quality? Are there other suggestions?

TIA!

Here is a link to a thread at the bottom of this page dealing with the same issue.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2168355

I posted some sample pics from my Olympus Stylus 1030 SW on that thread. To sum it up, I was really impressed with the underwater pictures. It was weird, but very convenient, to just be able to hop into the pool on vacation without worrying about keeping the camera away from the water.

On dry land, the pictures came out nicely. My one main gripe with this camera is the fact that it doesn't have a viewfinder, just an LCD (but I think most p&s cameras are this way these days). In sunny conditions, only having the LCD makes it a little hard to review the pictures that you have taken unless there is a shady area nearby.

Good luck!

Got my hubby the same camera for Christmas! Best gift I ever gave me I mean him! LOL!
we had a blast at the beach and on water rides over spring break! It takes very nice pictures. Little tough to always get stuff centered when underwater. But what fun!
only pit fall, the control knob turns very easy, DH keeps the camera in his pocket and it changes settings and he doesn't always double check. So we have had some blurred pictures

This link have a good review and samples of the most recent wp models.

(can't post links yet, so copy & paste on your browser)

tiny.cc/WEWEP

We are going on a cruise next month and I was thinking of getting an underwater housing for my Canon SD 1100 IS. I don't think I want one for the dSLR.

Canon does make one but it is more than I paid for the camera.

Has anyone used the DicaPac waterproof cases?

I'm just looking for something at the beach/pool etc. MAYBE some snorkeling but no SCUBA or anything deep.

I have a DigiPac, I absolutely adore it.

I had it in Orlando during hurricane fay and everyone wanted to know what it was and where to buy one.

It also did an amazing job in the Animal Kingdom Lodge pool.

I found it to be WELL worth the money

If you'd like to see a few shots, just let me know!

I have an Aquapac for our p&s. It has an actual hard lens barrel for the zoom to extend.

I'm pretty happy with my Olympus Stylus. Love the underwater function, it's great fun.

the camera isn't very good in low light; a lot of noise.

But it's a great camera for "go anywhere" use. Also does pretty good video clips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter