Underwater camera

NurseChell

Mouseketeer
I am looking into underwater cameras and dont want to spend alot of money. Less than $100 cheap. I need advice on Disposable underwaters and the cheaper 35mm and digital ones preferably with a flash. I've looked on ebay, the waterproof store, and other sites. Not many with a flash though. I bought a disposable one years ago on 1st trip to key west, and when I got the pictures developed only 1 photo turned out. Was dissappointed. Definetly dont want that to happen again.

I've also seen the clear plastic waterproof bags you can put your regular camera in and take pictures without removing from the bag, and without it getting wet. Cost like $30-40. Any one ever tryed any of these. Help! :confused3

I'd have to say that this is one of those "you get what you pay for" issues, in my opinion.

There are some disposable underwater cameras with a flash, but as you said yourself, the reliability is not good. Not a good risk to take for your vacation memories! (There is a reason why they're only 20 bucks!)

I know you said you don't want to spend alot, but still the only honest advice I can give is to invest in a good camera such as the Sony DSC-P10, along with the available underwater enclosure for it. Such a combination will run you closer to a thousand dollars, but you'll get great quality, high resolution pictures, and also the peace of mind that your pictures will actually come out! The quality is fantastic. "You get what you pay for!"

Your vacation is a once in a lifetime event.

Wanna risk it??

Just my opinion!! :goodvibes

I am taking the aquapack enclosure I paid $30.00 for my cruise this saturday. I am going to use it with my sony digital camera. I will let you know how it works if you like!

I got it at REI.. I went to the store but you can also get them online.

Sherri
1st Disney Cruise this Saturday the 6th, Disney magic !

I took a Kodak disposable underwater camera with us. We used it when we went snorkling and we got beautiful pictures. All of them turned out.

We use the disposable underwater cameras you get a walmart (Kodak), same as they sell on the ship and they work great. The pics come out beautiful.

I always use Kodak disposable underwater cameras and they work great. I have gotten them as cheap as 2 for $10 at Wal-Mart

Most "real" underwater cameras are used for scuba diving and are not practical for snorkling and normal recreational swimming. These cameras are all boyant and with snorkling can only easily be used while floating on the surface holding the camera pointed down. A scuba diver can add a little weight for the camera and fill his BC (bouancy compensator) to get neutral in the water and not fight to stay in one position. I have an Ilelight 35MM camera and housing thats a dream to use scuba diving but a pain snorkling.

I suggest a waterproof disposable or a waterproof 35mm. We bought my daughter a canon elph sport aps film camera thats waterproof to 16 feet (don't know if its available any more). Its great for snorkling, beach, pool use or anywhere you may get soaked- she has some great pics from water rides!

here is a link for ikelight for information purposes
http://www.ikelight.com/web_pages/newest.html

Jean and Bob

Great response so far! I agree that you get what you pay for EVERY time. It also depends on your needs. It would seem that you are just interested in snorkeling. If that is the case, then those small disposable underwater film cameras are fine!! Remember that to have your pictures turn out, you need to be CLOSE!!! Then get closer!! I like to be within three feet or closer when I take UW shots. The water will change things and reduce the colors a lot very fast.

I bought the Fuji at Walmart for our trip (2or3 less than Kodak) and followed the directions and we got good pictures. You have to be close and no flash. BUT snorkeling I can't imagine using a flash??

DH talked about getting a bag for his digital but didn't.

We are going back to the U.S. AND B.V.I. one month from today for week and plan to snorkel everyday. We're taking three of the Fuji. I may pick up one or two more just to be safe. I took some with the kid's disposable on the beach when I did not have my real one with me and they turned out great. Only I know which ones were made with which camera. (Outdoors is the key I think)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter