Un-purchased Shutters Photos

GArriola

Mouseketeer
Just curious, does anyone know what Disney does with all of those un-purchased photos? Throw them away? Recycle them? Can they be recycled?

I saw them being dumped into large bins while I was walking around the turnaround day between back-to-back cruises. I assume it was trash.

I certainly hope they shred them. I too saw cast members dumping them in large bins on disembarkation and have always wondered what ultimately happens to them.

What a waste...can we tell them not to print any of ours? We take plenty of our own and aren't interested in paying for theirs.

What a waste...can we tell them not to print any of ours? We take plenty of our own and aren't interested in paying for theirs.

You can just skip having pics taken. DH & I had only a few pics taken of us last September on our Fantasy Western cruise. Those were at our anniversary dinner in Palo. We bypassed the embarkation pic then never had any others taken the rest of the cruise except just the few on that 1 night. It was funny to go to our Shutters portfolio and see barely anything there when all the families around us had stacks. ;)

You can just skip having pics taken. DH & I had only a few pics taken of us last September on our Fantasy Western cruise. Those were at our anniversary dinner in Palo. We bypassed the embarkation pic then never had any others taken the rest of the cruise except just the few on that 1 night. It was funny to go to our Shutters portfolio and see barely anything there when all the families around us had stacks. ;)

I don't know why I didn't think of telling them to just not take the picture. lol.. so simple! hehe.. I guess last time was our first cruise and of course our daughter had to meet all the princesses. We didn't bother telling them no thanks. They even took her picture with out camera after taking their own. Next cruise I'll keep that in mind! :thumbsup2

When we cruised on the Dream last February, I don't remember seeing photographers. Not like they are in WDW, where they randomly stop you and take your picture at dinner and in the parks. It's a good idea asking them not to take pics. Simple solution! Thanks. :hippie:

I just recently saw them taking them all from the shelves and throwing them in boxes, taping shut the boxes and putting them on carts to take away when I ran to pick up my CD before disembarking. I was sick to think that all of my pics that I just passed up to buy the 150.00 CD were just destroyed. It did seem such a waste!! It made me think that they must make good money on them since they can afford to print that many and then just trash them. That is a lot of ink!

If they didn't print every single photo taken they could charge less for the photos and probably sell more and end up with a bigger profit.

I wish it was like the parks where I could review on my computer and buy prints or downloads. Their waste probably helps to drive up the price.

Perhaps they send them off to be recycled?

Not easily. The coatings that make the glossy or matte finishes make the paper not easily recyclable. Not many photo papers are recyclable. Only 1 from HP is AFAIK.

As far as making profit for the photo company, those cd's are as close to 100% profit as you can get. The images are already taken and stored on a computer. They get to charge someone (like us! :thumbsup2) a couple hundred dollars just to copy them to a cd or two that cost them a couple dollars in material costs. I'm sure they are comfortable with their profit margins. Otherwise, they would leave the business or adjust the pricing accordingly.

Actually, we started wondering if they start out printing 8x10's for everyone and slowly shift to only 5x7's for character photos as the sailing progresses to save paper. That seemed to happen in our last 2 sailings. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter