umbrella stroller + big kid = bad idea?

andreschris

Earning My Ears
I was planning on renting a single stroller for my ds5 but I don't want to spend all that money on rental (for 10 days), he's very tall and weights 55lbs so I don't think it would be wise to buy a new stroller since he does'nt use one any more. However, I will bring a very compact stroller for ds2, but ds5 does not fit in it.
My question is: I know the cheap umbrella strollers don't hold more than 35 pounds but, has anyone ever put a kid heavier than the max weight on these strollers. :confused3 Do you think I can pull it off? He'll be using it just for the parks. Any ideas?

I have a couple of cheap umbrella strollers that protest under the weight of my 2 year old, who weighs just over 30 pounds. I can't imagine it'd hold up at 55 pounds....I'm betting it would fold at 40, max, and even if it didn't totally collapse, it would certainly be very hard to push.

I don't think an umbrella stroller would hold him. I have a full size stroller that holds up to 55lbs and at Disney I let my DD6 ride in it.

The umbrella's are just not contructed for that weight. My cousin was a big baby (30lbs or so) under two. I was out with him one time and his umbrella stroller just collapsed and folded him up in it!

If you think he will need a stroller I would rent. You can rent for length of stay and you do get a small savings.

We have 2 Mac Volos for our two little guys 1 and 3. My 3 year old is tall for his age at 45 lbs 46 in tall...and he rides in the Volo. He is pretty comfy in there which is why we chose that particular stroller. It pushes very smoothly! We are going to let him walk more this trip but will be bringing the Volo so he can ride when he gets tired-he's just 3 after all! Since it is an umbrella it folds up very small, is lightweight and has a carry strap.
If you do go for it-I think you might have a touch time with one meant for 35 lbs...just my opinion;)

I would take your child to BabiesRUs and test out the Maclaren strollers. They go up to 55 lbs. We bought one for our son prior to our trip and he was 52 lbs at the time and we had things in stroller too and it worked wonderfully. We bought the Triumph which you can get at albeebaby.com for $119 with free shipping or they have the Volo for $79 but it doesnt recline. This would be cheaper than your rental and you could then resell it afterwards and recoup a good portion of your cost. One thing to think about with rentals is that you cannot use it from your bus stop to the room which from experience with a very tired child at the end of the night and your room is far from the bus stop it was a lifesaver to use it for that purpose too.

The cheap umbrella stroller won't hold up for him. Try buying a Macaren Triumph-- they have a much higher weight limit and are much sturdier.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll go to Babiesrus today with him to check the Mclarens. We are staying off site so we'll have a rental car, but still the walk from the park to the parking lot with a tired child is not easy, never thought of that. At first we thought we'll rent a stroller if he needed one, but I know that if we bring one from home he will use it all the time.

if you plan on reselling it please make sure you inform the buyer that you rode your son around in it and he's the max weight limit and approx how many hours. The max weight limits put a lot of strain on the strollers and someone buying it for their little one needs to know the stroller has been heavily stressed. Esp if you are adding bags and gear to the weight.

These strollers are not designed for what ppl are planning on. There is a reason the WDW stroller are designed like they are, they are capable of taking a lot of weight for long periods of time in the heat.

I have to agree that a regular umbrella was impossible to push with my 25 lb son. I cannot imagine that it would even hold up with a child 55 lbs.

If I do buy a new stroller I would not resell it. Ds2 uses a Chicco ct0.6 and it's weight limit is 37lbs. He's already at 31lbs. so he'll soon outgrow it and then he can use the other one. :goodvibes

I'm in the same boat and have been looking at the Volvo and Triumph as well as the Combi Urban. It's cheaper than renting and DD 4 will get a newer stroller after WDW.

Get the Volo, you will not be disappointed in it's steering capabilities with a heavier child. I will say it is a bit narrow for my 40lb 5yr old. But doable. Esp. compared to the new rental costs! Yikes. I will probably be buying ANOTHER Volo if we go again this year. Before I would have rented a double for my 2 older guys. But not at the new prices. You may as well have a stroller to keep and eventually resell, give to friend or donate.

We bought our Volo AFTER our Disney trip becasue one of our strollers was crushed on the plane. We were going to NYC and needed a stroller. Haven't used it since. But if I go to Disney 1 more time before they outgrow the need I will get my moneys worth.

I was planning on renting a single stroller for my ds5 but I don't want to spend all that money on rental (for 10 days), he's very tall and weights 55lbs so I don't think it would be wise to buy a new stroller since he does'nt use one any more. However, I will bring a very compact stroller for ds2, but ds5 does not fit in it.
My question is: I know the cheap umbrella strollers don't hold more than 35 pounds but, has anyone ever put a kid heavier than the max weight on these strollers. :confused3 Do you think I can pull it off? He'll be using it just for the parks. Any ideas?

Last year, we brought a cheapo umbrella stroller for Lydia, who was 4 and around 45ish pounds. It worked out wonderfully for us. She even slept in it. Ours was one I got free from CVS for buying some baby products. I will try to find a picture of her in it.

I can't see spending much money on a stroller you will probably not use much.

Ok, I found a few pictuers of the stroller.

It was handy for holding things when Lydia wasn't in it. That's Lydia in the picture there. She was 44" tall last year.
EPCOT%202007%20%2833%29.jpg

And some of her in it:
Florida%20pictures%202007%20%2820%29.jpg

Walking quickly:
Florida%20pictures%202007%20%2826%29-1.jpg

OK, as of now I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to buy a Mclaren for ds5. We're going in May. :cool1: It will be me, dh, ds5, ds2 (he'll turn 2 two days before we leave), and my dm. Dm doesn't like thrill rides nor does ds5 even if he's taller than the height limit (he's 50"). So dm stays with the kids while dh and I are on the rides. We do this everytime, but that was before ds2 was born. Now we have 2 strollers to push and she obviosly can't push them both by herself. What can we do? Do we take ds5 out of his stroller and leave it [the stroller] in the stroller parking of the ride we're in so dm can walk a little with both ds while they wait for us?:confused3

OK, as of now I'm thinking that the best thing to do is to buy a Mclaren for ds5. We're going in May. :cool1: It will be me, dh, ds5, ds2 (he'll turn 2 two days before we leave), and my dm. Dm doesn't like thrill rides nor does ds5 even if he's taller than the height limit (he's 50"). So dm stays with the kids while dh and I are on the rides. We do this everytime, but that was before ds2 was born. Now we have 2 strollers to push and she obviosly can't push them both by herself. What can we do? Do we take ds5 out of his stroller and leave it [the stroller] in the stroller parking of the ride we're in so dm can walk a little with both ds while they wait for us?:confused3

they sell stroller connectors at babies r us. i just bought them, but havent tried them out with my two maclaren volos. i will test it out and get back to you.

I brought two Macleran's to Disney last year and had the stroller connector in case one of us was left with both strollers. They were easy to pop on and off, and made steering two otherwise single strollers doable. I don't love using them, but when you're in a jam and need to wheel 2 strollers with one person, it's nice to have.

Good luck!

~Tami princess:

Yes, I would do that. She can park one and walk around or find a bench with the kids. One of the kids will likely be up to walking. Unless its nap time or late night.

Do you think DS5 will really want to use the stroller much? Our DS3 hardly used the stroller at all. Unless he really loves the stroller, one option is to just bring one stroller and have them take turns. Or maybe have a second stroller that you use for the ride from the car into the park that you keep parked for most of the time, but have available if they both need naps.

I just came back from Babies R Us. ds5 sat on both the Maclarens Volo and Triumph and he fits just fine, just as long as he doesn't take a nap in it, his head is too tall, but he doesn't nap anymore so that's ok.
Besides the reclining option, is there any other difference between these two strollers?
Since ds2 is the one who will be using the stroller after ds5 uses it at Disney, if I decide for the Volo, can he nap in it since the seat is not so straight? Or will his head flop down?

We do that - DD is 55-58 lbs, 46-48 inches tall, and 5.5. I have a $15 Walmart Stroller. I think the weight limit on it is 40 lbs.

No, it's not heavenly to push. Yes, it's occasionally stubborn about starting if the wheels are askew. Yes, I end up pushing it because DH is too tall to comfortably push.

Yes, DD still rides it in...when I let her. She'd love to ride in it all the time if I'd let her! Her legs are too long for the 'legrest'. Her head still doesn't touch the canopy, but a tall bow will. If she's tired enough, she's napped in it. (her head nods forward)

We've used it for 7 trips now (starting when she was 3.5), 25-30 days of use, and it keeps on strolling. DH wants to give it up. DD wants to take it everywhere. Me, I'm happy to give DD a respite from walking that doesn't involve a piggy-back ride! And my kid, when exhausted from too much excitement, walking and heat, is not a nice thing to behold. So I push her...happily.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter