• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Um, I'm from California and I like California Adventure...

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
Just curious- what do people specifically not like about California Adventure? I hear this all the time, but I love it! I mean there are a few things I don't care for like the the game area of Paradise Pier- boring, waste of space, or the Mullholland Drive ride- I feel like I'll crack a rib on that ride- but there are so many things about that park that I love! It has a completely different feel than Disneyland (not the same childlike magic, but I think that's because I never went there as a child). I am looking forward to the new cars area, I hope it's cute.

I liked California Adventure when I went! I thought some of the theming was a bit odd, but overall a nice park, good size with a nice layout. I am glad they are going to be re-disneying some parts though, its set out to look really good!

I like California Adventure, too. But then I grew up in Anaheim so I get a lot of the different references to things that are imbedded through out the park. To me it is on par with Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando, it's not the nicest of the Disney parks, but I think it will be much better when they are done spending a billion dollars on it. Just my two cents worth. :rolleyes1

We like it also. Here's my 2 cents/theory...

I think the lack of popularity among the locals is that they were hoping for something like Disneyland and then got DCA. The folks who tend to love DL out here (local citizens, as opposed to enthusiasts) have never really experienced the variety that comes from going to the 4 parks of WDW. When they are given the "setting" or background, it's not over the top obvious what things are supposed to represent.

For instance, the 3 themed sections - Hollywood, the Golden State, and Paradise Pier. The backstory on what these mean isn't immediately obvious (except for Hollywood). When you say that you are in the Golden State section - you have a mish-mash of all the things that make CA popular - the woods and natural resources, it's agriculture, the unique city of San Francisco and it's Pacific Wharfs. To the uneducated - these areas are very separate from each other - they don't see the tie that binds.
The same goes with Paradise Pier. So many of the pier amusement parks are gone. Therefore - all it looks like it just an excuse to do a traditional theme park.

I think that's what folks don't get. They wanted more Disney, not something that they had to think about the theming. I could go on about how they really need a weanie attraction to take folks back to the Monsters Inc area to increase activity, but that's another discussion.

Like I said, we get it - and we like it. We'll still like it when the next phase is completed.

But I still won't go on the Spinning Mickey Wheel of Death....

But I still won't go on the Spinning Mickey Wheel of Death....

OMG! I HATE that thing! I went on one of the swinging cars once and screamed every single time the car swung down. Scared the....you know what..outta me. :scared1:
Arugh..never again.

That being said, I really like DCA and enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere of the park compared to MK.

YellowMickeyPonchos- I totally get what you mean about it being more like WDW and a "Disney Studios" type park and so the Californians aren't used to it. I think because my parents actually took us over to WDW as kids, when they announced a new theme park out here I sort of expected something along the lines of the other WDW parks- but most of the people I know here in CA have never seen another Disney park other than Disneyland. I am very curious to see the changes- but I didn't want them to take the mickey head off of screamin' or take away the California letters...I like them. But maybe they will change the park name someday...they have done it with MGM studios, I mean Disney Studios, or Disney Hollywood Studios or whatever it is ;)

At least I know when the changes are done it will just be another excuse to get in the car and hop down there!

We visited CA for the first time in May 2007 and really enjoyed it. The only area that was abig disapointment was the Paradise Pier area. It just did not seem like it belonged in a Disney Park. This area felt really cheap. I can't wait to visit again when they have all the new rides open. We really, really loved the Allaidan show The Tower of Terror is much better in Florida.

Sounds like I'm in the DIS minority, but I didn't care for it at all. It felt like a huge mish mosh that was done on the cheap.

A Bug's Land has what to do with California? It felt stuck on - like the kiddie area at your local amusement park. I also didn't like that it had only one way in and out - it felt closed in. (But then I have that problem with the Toontown area over at Disneyland too! :) )

I know the overall theme is California, but it felt like there was nothing binding any of those areas together. There was no transition - such as is accomplished with such finesse at the other Disney parks.

And to be fair - I've never been a big fan of the Studios. Some great rides, but the park itself? Meh.

Just my $.02! :)

My teenage DS and I have loved DCA since the day it opened. We recognize that it has a completely different feel than DL and accept it for it's uniqueness. We always seem to discover something new, no matter how small that new thing is really cool to us. :cool1:

Although I will miss some of the original character of DCA such as the Golden Gate Bridge and the "CALIFORNIA" letters but I am really looking forward to the new look that according to the artist renderings appears to look like the entrance to Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW. :woohoo: I can't wait to see this come to life because I miss visiting WDW so to be able to have a little of that magic mixed in with my favorite place on earth, DL...:yay: :yay: :yay:

Shannon

I enjoy California Adventure, but it will always pale in comparison to the original Disneyland.

Melissa

I enjoy the park very much, but I think the problem with it is that there is really not much to do. California Screamin' and Soarin' Over California are the only things I ever see a line for. ToT is really boring because it's nothing like the one in Orlando. I think they really need to put Rock n' Roller Coaster in the backlot area though. :thumbsup2

The Spinning Wheel is the giant ferris wheel that is the dominant piece of the Paradise Pier skyline. It has some stationary cars (that don't move) and 2 speeds of sliding swinging cars that do move - and no seatbelts.... Centrifugal force keeps you in your seat. You end up looking directly into the water and then into the sky......:eek: :scared1: :scared1: :eek:

Not my cup of tea....... :sick:

The Spinning Wheel is the giant ferris wheel that is the dominant piece of the Paradise Pier skyline. It has some stationary cars (that don't move) and 2 speeds of sliding swinging cars that do move - and no seatbelts.... Centrifugal force keeps you in your seat. You end up looking directly into the water and then into the sky......:eek: :scared1: :scared1: :eek:

Not my cup of tea....... :sick:

I've been on that! I went on the normal ferris wheel type ones though. Just looking at the spinning ones made me wanna hurl!:sick: :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter