Ulu Cafe has none of these....

DVC Doctor

Member since 2001
DVC Gold
Several years ago, the Ula Cafe had fresh Malasadas that I enjoyed in the morning....but on my recent visit a few weeks ago, none were to be found and the staff seemed to indicate that it has been a while since serving these.

Also, it was very hard to find POG juice near Ko Olina (passion fruit, orange, guava) and that bummed me out too.

No malasadas + no POG = disappointed tourist

The cafe changed up it's menu a few years ago to a smaller selection. It's fine, but I think they used to have more options.

I went on TripAdvisor yesterday and checked Aulani reviews and there was a marked change in sentiment in the last few months. Statements like “no food” “not disney” — I think Disney should consider the long term implications of taking away everything remotely special or nice. I have 3 dinners and multiple spa appointments set up at the four seasons during my visit this summer — do they just not want our money?? So shortsighted.

Several years ago, the Ula Cafe had fresh Malasadas that I enjoyed in the morning....but on my recent visit a few weeks ago, none were to be found and the staff seemed to indicate that it has been a while since serving these.

Also, it was very hard to find POG juice near Ko Olina (passion fruit, orange, guava) and that bummed me out too.

No malasadas + no POG = disappointed tourist
Interesting, they had both when I was there in February 2020. The POG, if I remember correctly, was sold in cans at Ulu and available at Makahiki breakfast as well.

I went on TripAdvisor yesterday and checked Aulani reviews and there was a marked change in sentiment in the last few months. Statements like “no food” “not disney” — I think Disney should consider the long term implications of taking away everything remotely special or nice. I have 3 dinners and multiple spa appointments set up at the four seasons during my visit this summer — do they just not want our money?? So shortsighted.
Yeah, IMO they severely overreacted to COVID in the first place and have been far too slow to get back into the swing of things on the reopening. I want flower lei / kukui nut greeting, valet parking, spa, signature dining, no ugly plexiglass everywhere, etc.

Interesting, they had both when I was there in February 2020. The POG, if I remember correctly, was sold in cans at Ulu and available at Makahiki breakfast as well.

Yeah, IMO they severely overreacted to COVID in the first place and have been far too slow to get back into the swing of things on the reopening. I want flower lei / kukui nut greeting, valet parking, spa, signature dining, no ugly plexiglass everywhere, etc.

I chatted w someone extremely nice this week while looking for another reservation - and he gave me a wink and a nod re the spa for this summer. Hopeful!

and FS has you just pick up the lei etc to maintain social distancing - they could easily do that. But Disney is focused on profit (which is fine) be long term greedy.

I chatted to someone extremely nice this week while looking for another reservation - and he gave me a wink and a nod re the spa for this summer. Hopeful!
Call that same fella and tell him the people demand refillable mugs as well.

I thought POG went out of business.
I can't exactly what happened, but I think Meadow Gold was able to spin off this leg of their business and POG is being made on one of the neighbor islands. My family doesn't really drink POG but I feel like I've seen it on the store shelves pretty recently.

Sorry to add to your pain, but we’ve been able to get Mickey bars all week.
:sad:

That's okay. We were supposed to go to Cancun in a few weeks. However, all of the tours we were supposed to go on started canceling because the COVID numbers are so high and they may go back into a lockdown. Since we didn't want to spend the week sitting in our hotel room, we changed our vacation to WDW!

We just spent 10 days at Aulani, and I have to agree it's still struggling to feel "Disney." Since it was the kids' first time to Hawaii we had a great vacation, but all the little touches that make it feel like Disney still seem to be absent. Yeah, there are Mickey Bars, but there's no spa, some restaurants are still closed, most of the resort activities are shut down, and they can't give you a lot of help about other things to schedule off site (the Holoholo desk was, well, not very useful). Tourism's on the upswing, but they're still understaffed, so plan on waiting at the front desk for 30 to 40 minutes when you check in. Don't expect a price break, though! You're still paying the Disney Premium for everything; you're just not getting the Disney Experience.

Now, in their defense, Hawaii itself is still aggressively paranoid about COVID, and you will encounter a heavy hand around the island and encounter lots of anti-COVID measures (like restaurants only offering take-out, or attractions operating at half capacity, or whatever). It's still irritating, though.

:sad:

That's okay. We were supposed to go to Cancun in a few weeks. However, all of the tours we were supposed to go on started canceling because the COVID numbers are so high and they may go back into a lockdown. Since we didn't want to spend the week sitting in our hotel room, we changed our vacation to WDW!

Sorry you cancelled; I’m here now at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It’s such a nice break (first vacation in 15 months) after getting vaccinated in March. If they do go to code red, the resorts will still be open. We are on our 9th trip to this area (7th time at this resort), so we just relax and enjoy the resort. Occupancy is actually up over the last few days, all the guests I’ve spoken to (this is normally an older crowd as it’s 18+ only) are vaccinated. We have to wear a mask going to buffet (which is mostly served to us) or to and from table for meals. Got our negative test result to go back home to the US, provided free to resort guests.

Sorry to be off topic, I feel very, very safe here! I do understand if you wanted to sightsee and cancellations happened that’s not worth it; we come to this resort and never leave property!

I mean... they've been running 30% discounts pretty much ever since reopening.

Still expensive, but you literally ARE getting a price break.
That's true. I was on DVC points and not thinking of the room discount. I was really carping about the non-buffet character breakfast that costs a mint so you can stand in front of a stand with two characters on it. It's better than nothing, and I knew going into it that's what I was gonna get, so I guess I got no right to complain. Still pricey, though.

Sorry you cancelled; I’m here now at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It’s such a nice break (first vacation in 15 months) after getting vaccinated in March. If they do go to code red, the resorts will still be open. We are on our 9th trip to this area (7th time at this resort), so we just relax and enjoy the resort. Occupancy is actually up over the last few days, all the guests I’ve spoken to (this is normally an older crowd as it’s 18+ only) are vaccinated. We have to wear a mask going to buffet (which is mostly served to us) or to and from table for meals. Got our negative test result to go back home to the US, provided free to resort guests.

Sorry to be off topic, I feel very, very safe here! I do understand if you wanted to sightsee and cancellations happened that’s not worth it; we come to this resort and never leave property!

Thanks for the report! DH is a social studies teacher and has taught about the Mayan for 27 years. We really wanted to explore the ruins so we're going to table the trip for a bit. And I would also drive DH bonkers if we had to stay at the resort because I'm not a person who can just chill. He'd be offering my up as a sacrifice if possible. :rotfl2:

That's true. I was on DVC points and not thinking of the room discount. I was really carping about the non-buffet character breakfast that costs a mint so you can stand in front of a stand with two characters on it. It's better than nothing, and I knew going into it that's what I was gonna get, so I guess I got no right to complain. Still pricey, though.
No doubt. From what I've heard, the Makahiki 3 course dinner is still worth the price even without all-you-can-eat, but I don't think I'd do the character meal until it's back to normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter