Ultimate budget buster.... Storm damage

rcraw45425

<font color=darkorchid>I'm a 43 year old mom with
Saturday our one was hit by what we think was a tornado. We wound up with a massive oak through our roof and numerous other trees down all up and down our street. Our deductible is $1K, so we know we have that yo pay but the biggest budget buster is time! We were in a towel for the first day and a half, now we are dealing with the contractors and the insurance company. DH works ER so he's going to have to sleep some days, hard when they have to replace rafters and a roof in addition to sheet rock ceilings and paint. Doubt we will be goinging anywhere spring break!

I'm sorry, that's no fun. That happened to me once, I had a huge tree in my closet (off the bedroom) and in my garage. Luckily, I wasn't home when it happened so I still had my car.
One big hint from my experience- we also had a 1K deductible, but I easily spent $2,000 by the time it was all over. Why? The contractor had me sign a form that they would negotiate with the claims adjuster for me. After that, the adjuster wouldn't respond to my claims that didn't involve the contractor. I had to replace a table and chairs set, all of our frozen meat and pay crazy utilities to compensate for a hole in our roof during 100 degree weather. (with humidifiers running and tarps all over)

I'm sorry your home was damaged in those awful storms.

Won't your insurance company pay for you to stay in a hotel while your house is being fixed? That way your husband can get some sleep during the day.

I hope it gets fixed quickly and that your dealings with the insurance company and contractor go smoothly.

Definitely check into your "loss of use" clause as this may be covered. When we had our house fire the ins. company paid for us to live in a rental house a few blocks from our home. Be sure to get quotes from multiple contractors as well, sometimes the one(s) suggested by your ins. company aren't as good as an outside company might be. Good luck, I hope you are able to get "fixed" soon.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Things are looking good so far. Adjuster was out today, he says the whole roof is being replaced. We were lucky enough for them to call ServiceMaster right when it happened. They were here within an hour and a half and started right away trying to get the water under control. We are getting hammered again tonight but I have tarps nailed down on my roof along with patches over the places missing shingles. Air movers are all throughout my attic and they have already dut out one header to allow the studs to dry. Adjuster took my receipts for hotel and meals for Saturday and Sunday with him to have a check cut. Hubby plans to try to sleep here rather than a hotel. When he works nights and sleeps days the hotels would not be accomodating, the housekeepers would be up and down the hallways with the carts and he wouldn't get much rest. Here he can put earplugs in and a sleep mask on, turn on the white noise machine and close the blackout curtains. If it gets too bad I guess he could go to his parents house but his mom would drive him nuts running the laundry! We'll deal with it! Just thankful right now to know that the roof will be fully covered, that was our biggest fear. I know I can get them to take care of the interior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter