UK Election

If you can believe it, Simon Cowell is pushing for the Conservatives. I was blown away by that. He says it's just too difficult in the UK to start your own business. There are way too many hoops to jump thru.

If you can believe it, Simon Cowell is pushing for the Conservatives. I was blown away by that. He says it's just too difficult in the UK to start your own business. There are way too many hoops to jump thru.

I believe it, but that's all I'm going to say.

My son (16) is following it and I get some news on Facebook via Billy Bragg. :)

I've been reading about Simon's remarks. Very interesting. But no different than American celebrities that voice their views.

I've been reading about Simon's remarks. Very interesting. But no different than American celebrities that voice their views.

No it isnt and although I was surprised Simon Cowell came out as previously mentioned the Conservatives are more left wing that the Republicans and a lot of major issues in the USA are none issues in the UK (ie Abortion and guns)

After last nights count we are heading to a hung parliament it has been one of the most interesting election nights in a long time. The Conservatives are very strong in England (over 100 seats maj) but only has 1 seat in Scotland (Labour are very strong here) so there will be some form of coalition involving small parties but either way one of these countries most likely wont be happy.

For me the economy & benefits system. We hand out to much money to people who can't be bothered to work & yes there are many.

I'll tell you what then, stuff them and let them turn to crime instead.

Social inequality leads to crime, you only have to look and the difference between us in the UK and these guys over here in the US. The US have much stricter and harsher punishments and judicial system yet much worse crime when it comes to serious crimes. The difference is social inequality.

Added to this it is percieved that we give too much out to people who cant be bothered however most of the so called benefits culture is handed out to people who are working but having their wages topped up because they are on incredibly poor wages. Therefore the problem is the wages they are earning relative to the massive rise in cost of living over the last decade or so.

I'll tell you what then, stuff them and let them turn to crime instead.

Social inequality leads to crime, you only have to look and the difference between us in the UK and these guys over here in the US. The US have much stricter and harsher punishments and judicial system yet much worse crime when it comes to serious crimes. The difference is social inequality.

Added to this it is percieved that we give too much out to people who cant be bothered however most of the so called benefits culture is handed out to people who are working but having their wages topped up because they are on incredibly poor wages. Therefore the problem is the wages they are earning relative to the massive rise in cost of living over the last decade or so.

I haven't got a problem with people who are getting money to top up their wages. Its the likes of the people who are in the paper, a fine example of one yesterday is a father of 7 who hasn't worked for the last 11 years due to aminor reason & get £20K in handouts ( more then what I earn!), he drinks all day & has to be pick up off the streets by his wife as he is drunk. He is laughing basically.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to handouts but there needs to be an overhaul on the way its done. A fairer way needs to be found, to make sure the right people get the money & we get people back to work, we make it too easy for people.

I haven't got a problem with people who are getting money to top up their wages. Its the likes of the people who are in the paper, a fine example of one yesterday is a father of 7 who hasn't worked for the last 11 years due to aminor reason & get £20K in handouts ( more then what I earn!), he drinks all day & has to be pick up off the streets by his wife as he is drunk. He is laughing basically.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to handouts but there needs to be an overhaul on the way its done. A fairer way needs to be found, to make sure the right people get the money & we get people back to work, we make it too easy for people.

and most normal people myself included agree that the situation described is ludicrous. However, and this is the important bit, its a minority. What the right wing press tend to do is to inform you how much is spent on benefits (including all the reasonable rational ones that most people agree should be dished out) then link it to storys like this to create the perception that all people who claim are scroungers. Its the same with immigration with interchangable uses of certain terms, incorrectly and quite deliberately to create a false impression to people who dont scrutinise the claims fully.

I haven't got a problem with people who are getting money to top up their wages. Its the likes of the people who are in the paper, a fine example of one yesterday is a father of 7 who hasn't worked for the last 11 years due to aminor reason & get £20K in handouts ( more then what I earn!), he drinks all day & has to be pick up off the streets by his wife as he is drunk. He is laughing basically..

Just as an additional, I would like to see the actual details behind this as well to make sure its a straight as that. I will give you an (unrelated) example of why. I read in some rag like the Mail about "elf n safety gorn maaaad" over a particular incident. The headline was "Papercut man sues company for 50,000". Rightfully, anyone reading that would think it was ludicrous. When you read the story not much was given away in terms of actual detail. Then after the incident had been resolved legally the full details about the incident were that the man who worked at a paper factory had his hand mangled in an unguarded machicne" Kinda puts a different spin on it, doesnt it. Believe nothing in the press, they re-arrange words to suit knowing that most people dont read / dig further.

Yeah, Id agree with that. Too many times I have seen people getting the calculators out to decide whether its worth going to work or not. It shouldnt be that close of a decision, it should be clear cut that you will always be better off working than not working. The big question is though, is the issue that there are too many jobs not paying an adequate living wage for todays cost of living or that we hand too many benefits out.

I like how your campaign season is only a few weeks long. so much more sensible and cheaper than having it last a year

Well we got there in the end, the UK has a new PM - Dave Cameron and its first coalition government for 70 years with Conservatives and Liberal Democrats coming together to form the government.

I am interested in knowing if anyone knows this is happening today here in the UK :)

Its our general election to choose the government (we dont pick a Prime Minister - the party does that).

Its going to be very close, either we will have a Conservative government (first time in 13 years) or a hung parliament where no party has an overall majority - we haven't had one of these in over 30 years!

I knew you guys were having an election but I didn't follow it. I always enjoy watching your parlimentary sessions on Cspan (cable). The intimate back and forth is so interesting.

I really hope your coalition government works better than it does here. right now, no one is getting along and all we get are nasty sound bites back and forth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter