• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Uh oh! Weather Forecast Not Good

Silver Queen

DIS Veteran
We are scheduled to fly to MCO on Friday morning, a day before our 1/4 Fantasy cruise. There is a good probability that it will start snowing here on Thursday and continue into Friday. We're giving serious thought to leaving on Thursday if we can get a flight. That might be difficult since it's the day after the holiday. This uncertainty has taken some of the joy out of our last few days of preparation. Glad we have travel insurance.

Yeah, that's a big concern.

What airline are you flying, and what airport are you flying out of?

We flying SWA from Albany. Our plan is to call then first thing tomorrow morning. If necessary we could even fly down on the 1st, but getting a room then could be tricky. We have a studio at BWV reserved for Friday night. Originally we had tried to book one for Thursday too, but they were full. Hopefully we can get something in another resort.

That actually happened to us. Same cruise too. We ended up changing our flight and flew out on new years eve. We did have to pay $75 to change each ticket. We beat the storm and we would have definitely been stranded if we stayed. I know how stressed you are right now.... It all comes back. Good luck!!

Silver Queen, we are on the same cruise you are. We also are traveling out of Albany-live in Saratoga. We are flying out on the 2nd. Flights were actually cheaper on the second. small world! Hope you are able to get your flights switched.

Change your flight and go early! I say this because we were cruising on the Fantasy last February and flying out of Rochester,NY. Well, Nemo ( the blizzard not the movie or musical:) decided to arrive the day before the cruise and make our trip very difficult. Our pilot attempted to take off 3 times before he de-boarded the plane. He made one final attempt and we made it. During the stressful time we were all made to deplane I searched flights in every surrounding airport. Nothing was available. Luckily it worked out okay in the end but I have learned my lesson... Never will I fly out the day before a cruise again from upstate NY. Good luck:)

Upstate Addict, it looks like there are still seats available on the second so that's what we'll switch to. What time is your flight? I checked and there are no DVC studios available for the 2nd so we'll be checking all of the resorts.
Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. You're absolutely right, the best plan is to get out ahead of the storm and avoid the stress. Ganandem, I'm so sorry that you had such a stressful start to your vacation last year. You're right, there's no way we want to go through something like that.

It's done. We're now flying out at 7:10 on Thursday. It wasn't cheap. We had to take Business Select seats but we should be ahead of the storm. Now we need to ramp up our packing and other preparations and find a place to stay Thursday. I remember reading the thread from the poster who missed her Galveston cruise last month and I felt so badly for her. It helped both of us to make a quick decision to get out of Dodge.

We are also on that 7 AM flight out of Albany. We prefer to stay in the hotels by Seaworld. I think there are some really great deals still over in that area. Maybe we'll see you at the airport. I'll be the one with a huge grin on my face. Also, did you notice how cold it is going to be on Jan 3rd in Orlando. High of 59. Make sure you plan appropriately!

I would leave earlier!! I would wayyy to nervous.

We leave in February from Syracuse and we are getting there 2 days before the cruise - you never know the weather in Upstate New York in the winter time!!

Glad that you were able to make other arrangements. Now that you don't have to worry, Ma Nature will decide to behave herself.

We're in the same boat, except half of our family is driving and the other half is flying! Those of us that are driving are leaving tomorrow (one day earlier than we'd planned), so we can get ahead of the snow. The rest are scheduled to fly SWA out of Albany on the 3rd in the afternoon. By the looks of the forecast, I think the weather will clear up by then. But it is definitely an added stress that is not needed!

I was just looking at the weather and the accumulation predictions are much less than they were initially. I saw 3-5" rather than the 12"+ that they were predicting earlier this week. I have had enough hairy flights out of Albany to worry. I had my flight to a bachelor party cancelled 3 years ago in February due to a storm. Good luck!

Whew! Everything is in place. We have a room at POFQ for the 2nd and then move to BWV for the third. All DVC studios and all value rooms were sold out for the 2nd.
Upstate Addict, we'll keep an eye out for you at the airport. We'll be the ones with the look of relief on our faces. We won't be able to use our ME luggage tags because of the two different resorts. We are two young at heart adults who love Disney. We took the Fantasy Eastern last January and loved it. I'm sure your family will have a wonderful cruise. We did see the temperature forecast. Can you believe it? Our one full day at the parks and the temp won't even hit 60. If I remember correctly the wind will be a factor too. We're planning on dressing in layers for that day. BTW, we live in Niskayuna, a nice, short drive to the airport. According to the forecast the snow is supposed to start here at 8:00 am. By then I hope we're at 30,000+ ft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter