Uh-Oh DCL Special Big Mistake!!

lisa6373

Mouseketeer
I have a very senstive 6yr old DD. Last week, I was showing her pictures of what our stateroom would look like, and the fold down bed that she would sleep in. Well she started crying that it wasn't a real bed, didn't have sheets etc. I searched for more pictures of kids in the beds, and she feels a little better about it.

Well....
Tonight we got all ready for bed and snuggled down to watch the big special. There seemed to be a big "Adult" focus. You know, all the things you could do without your kids. By the end of the program she was in tears again because she didn't want us to leave her. We are only doing a 4 nighter, so I certainly didn't plan to leave my DD's in the clubs for long, but I definetely wanted to try to get Palo ressies, and maybe a couples massage. Any ideas on how I can turn this around? My DH will not be patient with this (he's not aware of any of the drama so far). I can just see him wanting to cancel the whole thing and go to the beach!

HELP!

Find (or start if need be) the thread of DIS members on your cruise. Get on there and ask who else has girls about her age. You can help her send some messages back and forth and make some friends.
Also, look through navigators online and find activites that sound fun to her and read about them.
Talk lots about the fun things you will do together and the fun things she will do in the club. Don't focus too much on the clubs or you'll give her the idea that that is all you plan on having her do.
Let her help plan and make some special treat bags (with candies, a picture she draws, etc.) to give to your servers, stateroom host AND club counselors on the first night as a nice to meet you gift. tell her she can hand them out herself.

Uh oh!! Of course you're not going to leave her! I can only assume that the second both she AND your husband step aboard they are going to be floored :cloud9: at how amazing it will be. Maybe she'll make a friend and she'll be the one not wanting to go back to the room! Or perhaps she'll have such a wonderful, long, exciting day that she'll fall right asleep on the bunk immediatly. You can probably bring sheets or a blanket or pillow from home that smells like home I would think. Do you think watching the new show with your husband separately would convince him to get excited, especially since it highlights the adults? Haven't seent he show yet....it airs in an hour. Good luck! :thumbsup2

Lisa,

We just got back from the 7 night Magic Western Cruise yesterday. Our daughter, also a very sensitive 6 years old, was a bit apprehensive about the cruise in general and more specifically, going into the clubs and meeting new kids. I know I can't put you completely at ease, but rest assured the entire staff in the 5-7 year old Oceaner's Club is very warm, caring and proffesional - and incredibly sensitive to the needs of individual kids. One other thing, the first day they invite the entire family to the Oceaner's Club to check it out. We planned on just going for a few minutes to initiate her to the idea of going to the club, but after a few minutes she was off and running...having fun and meeting new friends. From that point on - the club was her preferred destination - leaving us a lot of time to enjoy the more "adult-oriented" pleasures of the cruise. As parents we typically worry too much; that's our job. However, I think you will be surprised about how well your daughter will adapt in the atmosphere Disney has created onboard.

By the way - this was the best vacation our family has ever taken.

I have a very senstive 6yr old DD. Last week, I was showing her pictures of what our stateroom would look like, and the fold down bed that she would sleep in. Well she started crying that it wasn't a real bed, didn't have sheets etc. I searched for more pictures of kids in the beds, and she feels a little better about it.

Well....
Tonight we got all ready for bed and snuggled down to watch the big special. There seemed to be a big "Adult" focus. You know, all the things you could do without your kids. By the end of the program she was in tears again because she didn't want us to leave her. We are only doing a 4 nighter, so I certainly didn't plan to leave my DD's in the clubs for long, but I definetely wanted to try to get Palo ressies, and maybe a couples massage. Any ideas on how I can turn this around? My DH will not be patient with this (he's not aware of any of the drama so far). I can just see him wanting to cancel the whole thing and go to the beach!

HELP!

Lisa, one of the best trip reports I have read here on the Dis was written by MB MinnieGirl about her Disney Cruise with 6 yo daughter Maddie. Here's the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1193893
I think you will discover lots of very positive things to share with your little girl about what to expect as well as a lot of fun pictures.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your quick responses and great ideas! I just hope I haven't been pushing it too much (We are still 7 months away from our cruise, but I can't help it i'm just so excited :love: )

Thanks again!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your quick responses and great ideas! I just hope I haven't been pushing it too much (We are still 7 months away from our cruise, but I can't help it i'm just so excited :love: )

Thanks again!

Do you have the DCL planning DVD? I requested a copy to show my DS for potty training incentive and there's a section for kids about the fun things to do, but also footage of familys dancing together, in the pool together, diing together. You can watch it, get an idea of what she might like and show her those aspects. That may get her excited.

I completely understand about DCL's Special on Travel Channel. My family also watched the show and my sons response was one of worry that we would leave him for our "adult time" I reassured him that this was a family trip and we would do lots of activities together. Think of all the shows we'll go to and the special games we would play together. That eased his mind and he seemed to understand that just because some people want alot of "adult time" doesn't mean we have to. (Of course the real "adult time" will start once he's comfortably playing in the club)

DCL DVD is a must! The kids section always excites my children. From what my friends tell me, once you child experiences the kids clubs you'll be hard pressed to get her out!

Do you have the DCL planning DVD? I requested a copy to show my DS for potty training incentive and there's a section for kids about the fun things to do,

This is an awesome idea. I've got to try this on my daughter!

I have a teen, and the reaction wa a little different...she wanted to see more of the teen only areas...where no adults are allowed. :-) It seems like only yesterday that my DD was 6. The years really do go by fast, and the teen years are special, too!

Don't know what to say, we went on a Disney cruise to spend time WITH our kids. I've got 40+ hours a week of adult time at home, it's called work.

We reassured our ds (5 at the time) that he didn't have to stay in the clubs if he didn't want to. We made our Palo ressies and figured we can cancel if need by (somebody would take them).

DS liked the clubs, but didn't love them. He wanted to practically sleep in the pool.

I would make your ressies and just go with the flow.

Don't know what to say, we went on a Disney cruise to spend time WITH our kids. I've got 40+ hours a week of adult time at home, it's called work.
"We are only doing a 4 nighter, so I certainly didn't plan to leave my DD's in the clubs for long, but I definetely wanted to try to get Palo ressies, and maybe a couples massage."

I would suggest previewing the dvd first. You don' want a repeat.

I would also suggest backing off of the whole thing and giving her a break. I am sure the unknown isn't helping her. I would save it all for closer to the cruise. I am not sure if 6 year olds have the concept of time yet. They always seemed to me to be at an age where they are getting the knowledge of it and of "the future" but no quite comfortable with it all yet.

When it gets closer, you could get the navigator printed out and show her some of the activities she can look forward too. Don't focus on the cm's faces, they may not be there when she gets there. Let her highlight one or two of her favorites.

Becareful. The importance of the whole thing gets elevated the more attention you pay to it.

DG

This is an awesome idea. I've got to try this on my daughter!

Its the only thing that has worked for us. I previously tried the potty training doll, the party recommended on Dr. Phil's show, etc, etc, etc. But the video shows the pirate ship in the kids' club and we reiterate everyday that he has to go on the potty everytime or he can't play there. The video also shows the cool Mickey pool he can't go in unless he goes on the potty everytime because babies with diapers aren't allowed to play in the pool on the big Disney boat. ;) I wish I had thought of it sooner because the doll cost me about $50, the party cost me a whole lot more than that, but the video was free and PRICELESS!

I spend (literally) every waking moment with my children. I do not work outside the home and I homeschool them. When we are on the Wonder I get to have *me* time. And I :love: it. Our youngest usually wants to go play in the kids club -- she loves when the characters come to visit and the dress up time! On the 10nt she met a couple of girls that she had so much fun with the entire cruise! I know dh tried to convince her to spend more time with him. :rotfl:
Our youngest son loves spending time with his daddy at the pool -- I HATE to swim. In fact I was quite happy that there were 2 days on the 10nt that I never once stepped foot outside! :woohoo:

We do quite a bit together while on the cruise (shows, meals, activites -- kite making, animation, game shows, etc...) but, it won't kill anyone if mom gets a break for a few hours!

Back to the OP. Watch the planning dvd. ;) Our chilsren love the Travel Channel special BUT, that was because they love seeing all the places (and CM's) on the boat where they've been!
Our first cruise it was the planning dvd that we watched over and over. :)

Is your DD into princesses? There are lots of photos of my (age 4 1/2) on the ship in the photos below, including one of her climbing up to her special bunk.

Thought seeing these might help.

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter