Uggggg..Routine Dentist visit, what is your cost?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
BEFORE insurance (if you have it)
Routine checkup including bitewing x-rays:

$222.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thankfully we have insurance, but if not, for the 4 of us this month ALMOST $900 just in preventative of no insurance? So almost $1800 a year?Again, just preventative routine check-up...no work done, no sealants, nothing other than the cleaning and bitewings.
I am in the western 'burbs of Chicago, if you guys could post your rates and location, I am just curious if I am in the norm, or should be looking around for another DDS :rolleyes1

In CT at my office it is $245 for cleaning/exam/4Bitewings.

But I can't complain, because I am a dental hygienist so that pays my really nice hourly wage!::yes::

I do recommend that people without insurance check out dental hygiene schools - it will take a lot more time (often a few visits), but the cost is about $25.

A cleaning and checkup is about $70. Xrays I am not sure as I did not get them this last time and the time before that they only charged me for 2 instead of the 4 they did.

I can't remember what the cost with x-rays has been but our visits are $135, out of pocket. Insurance covers a whopping $17 of our twice-yearly visits. I think they cover about $5 of an x-ray, zero on fillings, root canals, crowns, etc.

We are in metro Atlanta, and our dentist charges us under $150 for cleaning, dental exam and x-rays. We changed dentists a few years ago, and our last dentist charged more.

My insurance works in that I have to pay my dentist upfront, and then they reimburse me about 80 percent back.

And usually my routine cleanings are around $80. I had a filling replaced last time I went and that was $90. I'm in southeastern PA, far enough outside of Philly that I'm not stuck paying that increased premium of city living.

Our dentist charges $150 for a cleaning & x-rays, and our insurance covers all of it. My husband had a filling a couple of years ago, and I think we had to pay about $35 for that. We have been with this dentist for about 5 years, and he is much cheaper than the one we went to previously.

We are in upstate South Carolina (between Charlotte,NC & Atlanta).

Northwestern IL 2 years ago xrays and cleaning cost me $125. Do call around and ask because it does fluctuate. When we moved out here I called every dentist within 45 minutes asking costs and such before settling with the one we have and I love him. We don't have dental insurance though. Some dentists keep the cost of preventative low to get you in the door but any dental work is higher to make up the cost as well so beware of that if not covered by insurance. Beware of the bigger dental conglomerates that will find work to do that is not necessary.

Didn't cost anything for both my daughter's annual dental exam. It was billed and covered by the insurance but we have a PPO. A big fallacy with dental "insurance" is that HMO is insurance. When I had a dental HMO, I paid what you all are describing. HMOs are saving plans and my understanding is the HMOs negotiate savings plans with the dentists. Dental PPOs actually cover a whole lot more and are in line of what we usually think of how medical insurance works. For me, it was an extra 29 $ / month to change to PPO through work. That was for a family of four. It is well worth it to get the PPO if you can get it.

Didn't cost anything for both my daughter's annual dental exam. It was billed and covered by the insurance but we have a PPO. A big fallacy with dental "insurance" is that HMO is insurance. When I had a dental HMO, I paid what you all are describing. HMOs are saving plans and my understanding is the HMOs negotiate savings plans with the dentists. Dental PPOs actually cover a whole lot more and are in line of what we usually think of how medical insurance works. For me, it was an extra 29 $ / month to change to PPO through work. That was for a family of four. It is well worth it to get the PPO if you can get it.

We have a dental PPO and, as I said earlier, they pay almost zero towards dental. It's almost not worth having.

In CT at my office it is $245 for cleaning/exam/4Bitewings.

But I can't complain, because I am a dental hygienist so that pays my really nice hourly wage!::yes::

I do recommend that people without insurance check out dental hygiene schools - it will take a lot more time (often a few visits), but the cost is about $25.

All of this (also a RDH), but in NC cleaning/exam/4Bitewings $170. Even in my area you can find a considerable fluctuation in cost. $160-$200ish. We live in an area with a low-moderate cost of living. Dental hygiene schools in the area are $20 for everything (total).

I live in Southwestern VA and we pay between 125-$150 (depending on whether you need xrays). We are blessed to have dental coverage and get two free cleanings per year per person. If we didnt have it, I would be checking out the dental schools:thumbsup2

Ours is about $180. We live in a small town in Ohio close to nothing.

I'm in Ohio as well. Our routine exam, prophy and 4 bitewing xrays are $156.00 for adults. Children's cleanings are less, 2 bite wings and fluoride tx which bring them in at $120. We only do the xrays once a year so every 6 mos it would be $107 and $96. I know we are under most insurance co's UCRs.

$35 for adult and $20 for kids. Local dental office sends out a postcard a few times a year with this special.

The health department does cleanings and dental work for $10 each visit for a child and $20 each visit for an adult. No matter what the work you have done. If you have no insurance that's it. If you do, they also bill your insurance to get something back for the visit.

They did a fantastic job on my kids. Plus they sealed all the teeth that the local dentist said couldn't be sealed.

I live on the MS Gulf Coast and it's $150 for cleaning, exam and xrays here. $90 for just cleaning and exam.

I hope you aren't getting x-rays every 6 months? You don't need to have the dentist do an exam every 6 months either, unless the hygienist sees a problem. I think the rate for a cleaning, exam, and x-rays that you paid seems reasonable. You shouldn't be paying for all that at every visit, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter