UG predicts higher crowds in May??Anyone?

Skyw

DIS Veteran
Hi
I just rechecked touring plans. com web site for the crowds in May. They went up significantly since the end of feb. Like they rated the 10th of May as a 5 and now it is a 9. 10 being the holidays. I am so bummed because I go out of my way to get dates that aren't really crowded. Has anyone noticed more crowds because of the deals? Who went in May last year? How was it then? Please ease my mind!!!!!

Thanks

All these 4/3 deals and free dining extensions probably change the forecasting models. You're right, though, May used to be the "slow" period in the parks. I think people are in the parks (if you listened to the most recent Dis Show podcast) and the free dining keeps the restaurants jammed (although the quality is lower as a result) but probably not spending as much.

Bama ED

My boss is planning a last minute trip in the middle of May. He was thinking the parks would be empty. He won't be happy if they are full.

Disney doesn't agree with this. It's a big bone of contention on the Theme Park board. Whatever the crowds are though, it's better than being at home. I think TP may be over reacting.

Maybe I should head over to the parks board and see what they are saying. I am hoping TM is wrong. I guess I am spoiled by not having to wait in line much. Having said that....we are only planning a half day at each park. The rest of the time is at the new pool and enjoying the fort.

man, i hope this is wrong...we love to go in May...never seems to be crowded at all.

We were there that same weekend last year, and it was a lot more crowded than I expected. Don't get me wrong -- when we arrived early, knocked out the big rides first thing, took afternoon breaks, then went back in the evening, we were able to get onto most of what we wanted. But the one or two times we hopped to a park after noon, it was pretty wall-to-wall people. I was shocked by the crowds at Epcot, in fact. And don't even get me started on foolish us going to Spectro/Wishes on the same day it was an early EMH. OY! ;) I finally understood what people meant by honestly being scared when caught up in an exodus crowd.

When we went, I attributed the higher crowds to higher foreign tourism with the dollar in the tank (we met lots of UK'ers). And this was pre-$$ implosion. So perhaps you won't have the same crowding after all, and UG is going off of last years. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We still had a great time, and it justifies all that obsessive, DIS pre-planning. :thumbsup2

We were there in early May in '05 because we had read that was a good time to go, not crowded. Hah! It was packed, and I recall sitting next to a woman by Dumbo ride (while I waited for nearly an hour for my family to ride Dumbo) who said she's a regular (lived nearby) and said it was "unusually crowded for May". I was there Spring Break last year, and the '05 trip wasn't as bad as that but it was pretty darn close. Man what a zoo....

I think all the information available about the "best time to go" got out and people started thinking "May". You have better weather than fall, and its still less crowded cause school's not out yet. Those specials they offer now have to contribute to it, with the economy and all people are looking for vacation deals and I think parents won't hesitate pulling their kids out of school in May if they can save money on vacation....

Been awhile since we were there in May,and we havn't been since the economy bottomed out,,,but, from our experience the last several years parks are pretty much always busy, just sometimes busier than others.

This will be our third year in a row to go in May. It has been fairly crowded the last two years. We also go at Thanksgiving. I would say its nearly the same for crowds. :confused3 I had no idea it was such a popular month. We have tried to avoid the crowds by going after spring break time, but it doesn't seem to matter. We are early morning park go-ers so it works out okay for us. Then back to the resort pool in the afternoon.

HI
UG e-mailed me. They said there has been an increase in crowds and the hours have decreased. So I think I will do what we usually do. Have a good plan for the morning and not get so uptight if we don't get to go on Toy Story!!!

I was at WDW from 5/9-5/16 last year and I thought it was a great week to be there crowd-wise. The weather was perfect, crowds were low compared to the two previous years I had been in April. The longest wait times on the big attractions was 30 minutes. Guess I picked the right parks on the right days I was there last year! Of course, I used the Universal Guide's recommendations.

Hope you have a fantastic trip.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter