Uber vs. Taxi

After you call for a pickup, how do you know who your driver is? Are the cars labeled? Does the driver have an ID badge? Never done Uber before so I was just wondering how it all works logistically.

PP is correct. Once a driver accepts your request, Uber will notify you with their name, photo, phone number, make/model of their car, license plate number and sometimes the color of the car. You can also see on the map exactly where the car is coming from and when they're approaching you in real time via GPS. I usually text my driver with my exact location to make it easier, but you can also call the driver or they will call you if they're having difficulty locating you. Other than all this, there's nothing usually on the vehicles to indicate they are an Uber driver. In Pittsburgh, a few of the Uber cars I took had the "U" symbol taped on their windshield near their registration but that's the only time I've ever seen that.

Be nice, use someone's promo code to get your first ride free. When you take your first ride, that person will also get a free ride! Had a group of 30 in Washington DC and hardly paid for a taxi. Just kept spreading codes among everyone

I love Uber! They're usually cheaper, cleaner, and ALWAYS more friendly than taxis. Plus it's like supporting a small business, as each driver is an independent contractor.

I'm glad to see all the good reviews for Uber. I'm thinking of using them to go from Pop to Universal when we're there in November. I was a bit nervous because I'd heard some negativity but this all sounds good!

Silly question...when you use a promo code, how does the driver get paid? I feel awkward using a code for a free ride and not knowing that the driver got paid, or tipped. I've never used Uber and only have one use planned on our upcoming trip. I am ready to pay the $7-10 fare, but free is always better. I just feel like a heel if the driver is somehow getting stiffed on the deal.

Silly question...when you use a promo code, how does the driver get paid? I feel awkward using a code for a free ride and not knowing that the driver got paid, or tipped. I've never used Uber and only have one use planned on our upcoming trip. I am ready to pay the $7-10 fare, but free is always better. I just feel like a heel if the driver is somehow getting stiffed on the deal.
The driver still gets paid the same amount

Silly question, but do you feel safe using Uber? DD has used it with a few friends if they are planning to have a drink, but I worry about it.

I drive for Uber and can tell you, I went through as many clearances for them as I did working for the court program I assist with. The childline, local, state, federal criminal checks. You can see the star rating for drivers. If the rating drops below 4.5 stars you loose your access, may be required more training etc.
I will use Uber if needed on our next trip. We are arriving by train meeting family the next day.

How do you tip using UBER? Is it automatically added to your credit card? Who determines the tip? Ahead of time?

Thank you for your answers.

As was said, no tip is required, or needed ever. The driver is to refuse it, if the rider insist I always tell them I would rather a 5 star rating. Uber drivers are required to keep the car clean, vacuumed and washed. I carry water, and extra charging plugs for my rides.

We used Uber three times on our trip in February. It was super easy and affordable plus the drivers were all very nice.

With all the positive posts I think we will try Uber this December, we have always used taxi service but last year I was really upset & mad it cost us going 17.00 (this included a 6.00 tip) and coming back 32.00 this taxi driver went the long way needless to say he did not get a nice tip from us.

Last edited:
I'm curious about using Uber too for our AKL breakfast leaving from the Beach Club. I just did a cost estimate and for the 5 of us, using the UberXL, it estimated $13-$17.

How do you tip using UBER? Is it automatically added to your credit card? Who determines the tip? Ahead of time?

Thank you for your answers.

I liked that I did not have to worry about how much too tip or take out my wallet to fish around for cash.
We had our first Uber experience in San Francisco this summer.
We were a bit nervous about getting into a strangers car but it worked out great and was cheap.
The Uber driver did have a small Uber placard in the corner of his front window.
The car was an older Toyota Corolla that was worn looking but the inside was very clean.
We will use Uber again for short rides.

I'm glad I found this thread. We are considering using Uber for a few pieces of our trip also. However, we would need a car seat for our 4 yr old. Any thoughts on using Uber with small children?

I'm glad I found this thread. We are considering using Uber for a few pieces of our trip also. However, we would need a car seat for our 4 yr old. Any thoughts on using Uber with small children?

I haven't used it with Uber, but when we use a rental car, we bring the RideSafer travel vest. Once the vest is on, it's not that difficult to get them in the car. There is also the Bubblebum inflatable seat. I haven't used it, but others on here have mentioned it. Both are not that big and more transportable than a car seat.

I would like to know how the drivers get in to the resorts to pick up passengers. I know that when they get dropped off the passenger can show the guard their card or scan their MB but when they try to enter the resort do they just tell the guard they are Uber and are here for a pick up?

I would like to know how the drivers get in to the resorts to pick up passengers. I know that when they get dropped off the passenger can show the guard their card or scan their MB but when they try to enter the resort do they just tell the guard they are Uber and are here for a pick up?
They just say they're there to pick up a guest. There's no difference than if a friend was picking you up at your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter