• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Typhoon Lagoon

Prairiemom

Mouseketeer
I just read that Typhoon Lagoon will close due to inclement weather does this mean it will be closed for the winter or just for November. We are heading out to Disney the first week of December and depending on the weather we may want to take the kids. Does anyone know if it will be closed?

Oh thanks for the post as after I read this I checked the temps and it is really cool right now. The long range is looking like it will be warming up some. I do hope that it won't be closed so we will have an opportunity if the temps permit to take the kids there.

Whenever the weather is really inclement and sometimes in winter when the temperature doesn't warm up, the water parks will be closed.

Annual month long refurbishings are staggered so (weather permitting) at least one water park is open every day.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

When we left yesterday, it was in the 40's at night and high of 70 during the day. Waterparks at that temp are not for the faint-hearted! :rotfl2:

Last week we had one day when I left at 12:45 there were about 200 Guests in the park. Of course the morning had started out with Thunderstorms and the temperature had just hit 70 at noon and it was overcast.

I do recall one day last winter that we closed the park at noon. We only had 37 Guests, the temperature was only in the mid-40s and the wind was picking up.

Looking at the 10-day forecast I do not see any day that we would be closed or closing early. (If you go to weather.com use a zip code of 32830.)

Of course we will close (at least temporarily) if there are any storms with electrical activity within five miles of the park.

For lots of Guests from UK, Canada and the upper midwest they have no problems with temperatures in the 60s or even 50s. The water in all of the paark, except Shark Reff, is heated into the low 80s.

Cheshire Figment said:
For lots of Guests from UK, Canada and the upper midwest they have no problems with temperatures in the 60s or even 50s. The water in all of the paark, except Shark Reff, is heated into the low 80s.

I think they have changed their pool heating standards. Some of us have found water park and pool temps much cooler than low 80's. The newest ride at TL, C&G, isn't heated at all. Or so I read here.......

thank you for the Typhoon Lagoon information

We are staying at the French Quarter - the one thing my 10 year wanted to do last year was Typhoon Lagoon and I said "no"

this year we arrive on the 9th and I am thinking of taking him on the 10th - would a taxi be toooo $$$$$? I don't want to spend too much time waiting for buses - in fact I don't recall seeing any buses to Typhoon Lagoon while we were waiting.....

JaneH -

We stayed at POR two weeks ago and we often saw buses to Typhoon Lagoon. I was actually surprised by that. So taking the bus is an option. Not sure about the taxi fare.

Thanks for all this info as I look forward to the weather being nice and like you said us Canadians won't feel the cold like you. As 70F is warm for us. I have another question is there a height restriction for some kids as I have a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old and I'm wondering if he will be able to do thinks or will his height effect some of the thigns there?

trypnotic said:
Out of curiousity, what is the capacity at TL?
I'm not allowed to answer that, but we have only done capacity closes less than six times this summer.

don't know about t.l. but the water on/in the family raft ride at blizzard beach at the end of feb at midday certainly wasn't heated! or isit truly meant to represent thawed snow!

:wave2: Can't believe it actually warmer in the 'sunny' UK today than WDW !!! :rotfl: That's gotta be a first !

Cheshire Figment said:
I'm not allowed to answer that, but we have only done capacity closes less than six times this summer.
I like those odds! The few times I've gone, I've always worried about the park closing because of capacity but seeing that I go in the off season, I probably don't have much to worry about!

JaneH said:
I don't want to spend too much time waiting for buses - in fact I don't recall seeing any buses to Typhoon Lagoon while we were waiting.....

JaneH...the buses from PO are combined DTD and Typhoon Lagoon, which is right across the street from DTD. It is probably the same at all the hotels. The bus will likely stop at TL first, then at DTD. The ride there will be very quick, probably less than 10 minutes. the ride back will be a bit longer, since you will have to stop at DTD first.

SkierPete

ReallyFunMom said:
I think they have changed their pool heating standards. Some of us have found water park and pool temps much cooler than low 80's. The newest ride at TL, C&G, isn't heated at all. Or so I read here.......

When I worked at TL last year there were lots of complaints about C&G and how cold it was, but I can guarantee you that it is a heated attraction.

Also the Family Raft Ride at BB is heated as well. The only part that isn't heated is the "melting snow" on the lazy river.

dwtootles said:
When I worked at TL last year there were lots of complaints about C&G and how cold it was, but I can guarantee you that it is a heated attraction.

Also the Family Raft Ride at BB is heated as well. The only part that isn't heated is the "melting snow" on the lazy river.

if the family ride was heated, i would hate to go on it when it was unheated, even the loaders were saying the water is cold!
5.gif

trypnotic said:
Go hang out in Shark Reef for awhile to appreciate the other water that is heated ;)

I think they may have to cool that water to get it right for the sharks, it would be warmer just with the FL sun otherwise, on a warm day. Maybe its all degrees, heated but to what? Some use to say it was heated into the 80's and you could see the heat rising off the resort pools on cold days. Whatever they have the pool heater on now, 68, 70, 72 - don't know, but its not in the 84 degrees on a cold day. I am a Floridian so a wimp about cold but I think there has been a change in recent years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter