• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach?

Which waterpark do you prefer?

• Typhoon Lagoon

• Blizzard Beach

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

MinnieNurse

DIS Veteran
DS(10) and I are planning a Mom/son trip for either June or August 2009. We have never done the water parks because I usually like to go in December or January and just never wanted to give up a day. I promised him we would go one day. If it were you which one would you choose Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. Which one would a 10 year old like better?

TL- Crush and Gusher is so much fun!!! The wave pool is the best! Swimming with the sharks is cool too! I love that water park.

I wanted to vote for both!

They are both amazing. Last Sept 2 wk vacation: I went to each twice!

While similar, there's lots of differences.
The big pool is a major attraction at each.
--Blizzard Beach has a steady rise&fall wave action and you can have inner tubes... it was so nice to be in the tube and just ride up and down.
--Typhoon Lagoon's would send out a huge wave every so often that would always knock you down if you didn't swim with it... and boy! You sure could go far! But if the wave wasn't happening, it was just a big pool with people standing around waiting!

I also found that there were more gentle-r rides at Blizzard Beach (and wild ones as well).
And the family inner tube ride was waaaayyyy longer at Blizzard Beach. And because the tubes were bigger, they held more people and so the line went much faster.
Blizzard Beach also had the Ski Lift, and after running up the stairs about 20 times, that sure came in handy.. Try the single rider line if your son is okay with that.

BUT at Typhoon Lagoon they had the Shark Reef...aka Swim with the Fishies! That was really nice! And once I found the Crusher Gusher, Whoosh! I was with family for that one (didn't find it the first visit...it's off to the side). Must have done that sucker 6 times in a row! As a triple and as a double! Word of advice on that one: try to keep your body straight or else each time you hit a bump, it's your butt that will feel it!

Enjoy!

what do you mean you swim with the fish LOL like literally, as in the ocean or are you in a tube going down and they are surrounding the tub LOL. DS's may not go for swiming literally with the fishies LOL.

I have been to both several times. They are both outstanding but I have to give the nod to Blizzard Beach. It has also been selected as one of the Travel Channels top 10.

You put on a face mask and a snorkel (sanitized) and get a quick lesson, and then you step in to a long pool of salt water (if you haven't swam in the ocean before you may find it cold) and then 5' out there's a drop off. At that point you just let yourself float off, face down (hence the mask and snorkel!) and slowly drift across the length.
It was really neat: nobody is permitted to splash or kick or make waves. down below you, and sometimes coming close are all the fish from Finding Nemo! There are small sharks (I guess not the man eating kind!) and rays, and so on.
My first visit that week I couldn't do it--kept going into a panic with the mask... that was even before getting in the water! The next week with my cousin to coach me thru it, I managed. And because there was no crowd, we went thru about 3 times! It was so calm and peaceful and beautiful! Now I understand the thrill of snorkelling!

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

oh! And it is free!
But on the other side (the "ocean" is divided by a semi-sunken wreck), you can pay to use an airtank, and then you get to stay in as long as you have air, and you move all over the place--it's still floating on surface only, and no kicking or splashing. The usual one you only get to move from point A to point B and then get out; you can't change directions or anything.

And I think that there are portholes in that wreck and that you can also just go and look that way with out getting in the water.

I definitely won't be able to choose between the 2 water parks. Will have to do both.

Is that the one that pulls your bottoms up to your ears?
:rotfl:

1st water park visited (in over 25 yrs...) was Blizzard Beach. I examined the map, and looked at a guide book before I went.
My strategy here was NOT to do any ride that began with the letter S. Those were the wildest ones!

Thanks to everyone who replied. We are only staying 7 nights so I dont think we will have the time to do them both. I love all the parks and have to have a DTD day and a pool/relax day so not sure I can fit them both in. They both sound great.

It's a tough call. I really like them both. I would think that a boy may prefer the themeing at BB over TL so I voted BB.

I picked BB for your 10 year old, he will love it....
But... I just love TL, so relaxing.....

Both are great picks and I don't think any choice is a bad one... you both will have a fun time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter