• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Type II Diabetes and 12-14 years off your life

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
They had a blurb on the news the other day:

Women who develop Type II diabetes at age 40 (approx.) will cut 14 years off their life expectancy.

Men who develop Type II diabetes at age 40 (approx.) will cut 12 years off their life expectancy.

I immediately went home (heard in car) and confronted my DH. He is 42 and now has Type II diabetes. He lost 40 lbs. with WW 1 1/2 years ago, and still needs to drop another 50 - 75. I told him to kick his a** in gear because I wanted him around for those 12 extra years.

I wish I could get him on Atkins with me because I hear such wonderful things about blood sugar results, but he is a carb-o-holic and I don't think he can stand the thought of losing his bread.

He is now looking at labels in the store with me though, maybe he'll convert and then we'll switch the kids over :p .

Oooh, good luck! I wish you could get him on Atkins too. Maybe you can appeal to the "macho" competition side of him and challenge him to a week (hee hee!) and then he'll be hooked!!! I keep saying I could never do it, but I know if I wanted to, I could. I bet if you come up with a good angle, he won't be able to refuse you! ;)

Hey Bev - get your mind out of the gutter!

DH was good watching his diet right before we were to cruise last year - hopefully this year he'll have the same initiative.
Good luck!

Have a talk with him and ask him if he is willing to give up his refined carbohydrates for a short period of time. That's how we convinced my husband. First we asked him for three months and he balked so we said, "just two weeks" and he agreed.

He felt so <i>good</i> by about day four he decided right then that he was sticking with it for 3 months. Then 3 weeks later he had a physical and learned that his triglycerides had dropped 98 points in 3 weeks and his blood sugar was normal. That's when he decided to stick with it for the rest of his life.

He was diagnosed with type II diabetes mellitus at age 39. Did not control his blood sugar (the diet didn't help) and had his first heart attack 9 years later. He could have avoided both the heart attack and bypass surgery if he had controlled his blood sugar.

He is still aggravated at his physicians because they didn't tell him about controlling carbohydrates, they just concentrated on low fat. My husband can't go back and change his health history but <i>your</i> husband can avoid the same problems if he starts now. Good luck, I hope you can convince him to try Atkins or something similar. His life depends on it.

Katholyn

I've had very goodresults with using Atkins t control my diabetes 2. May eb you could print this thread and doa search for others and show them to him. It might be all he needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter