Type I diabetes

I've heard of many people on Lantus but my son was never one of them. We'll go back to mixing NPH and Humalog for the day - it's a mix of the same fast-acting he uses for the pump and a long lasting insulin which unfortunately does peak so he will definately need snacks! We're not even 100 percent sure if we are going to do a water park this time. Speaking of snacks, do you need a GAC to be allowed to bring food into the parks? We would never use it to get to the front of the line, but we definately want to have snacks available if we hit any lows.

Lisa

No, you won't need a GAC for snacks. We bring in food all the time when we go. We have an Igloo backpack that we keep our food in. They just check it like all the other bags and we move on thru.

If he was on NPH before the pump, just go back to that. We were on Lantus before pumping so that is what we go on when we go off the pump for a day.

Have fun!! At waterparks we usually keep our shots/supplies in the first aid station. That way it stays cool and we just go there for blood sugar checks etc.

Elaine

I've heard of many people on Lantus but my son was never one of them. We'll go back to mixing NPH and Humalog for the day - it's a mix of the same fast-acting he uses for the pump and a long lasting insulin which unfortunately does peak so he will definately need snacks! We're not even 100 percent sure if we are going to do a water park this time. Speaking of snacks, do you need a GAC to be allowed to bring food into the parks? We would never use it to get to the front of the line, but we definately want to have snacks available if we hit any lows.

Lisa
You might want to try Humulin 70/30. It’s a premix insulin containing 70% NPH (long acting) and 30% regular (fast acting) insulin. It’s available in 3 mL pens convenient for travel.

You may bring any food (other than alcohol) into the parks and you do not need a GAC. Having a favorite snack readily available is important (as you know). Bring as much or more than you'll need. Disney understands.

You may bring any food (other than alcohol) into the parks and you do not need a GAC. Having a favorite snack readily available is important (as you know). Bring as much or more than you'll need. Disney understands.
::yes::
just agreeing.
My DD is not diabetic, but we do need to bring snacks in for her for other reasons. Not a problem.

Which case is it - the sport case? So does he actually wear it in the water? I'd love to find something like that!

Its called the sports guard,it costs $60,but the price is so worth it.I tested it out with paper in it first,just to make sure.My DD has used it at the water slides and in my sisters pool.
On the pump website it says you cant use it for the Paradigm pump,(my DD is on the Paradigm pump).I ordered the case from a Canadian site called diabetes express.on this website it says you can use it with the Paradigm,you just have to remove the stoppers from the case,I did that and it works great.I find it easier to put the case lid on the pump and then put it in the case.

Which case is it - the sport case? So does he actually wear it in the water? I'd love to find something like that!

My son's pump is "waterproof" but I still don't want him to worry about it at a water park. Going down slides etc. I don't want it getting banged around and his site is most likely to fall out at Water parks due to running around and slides etc. So, we just go on Lantus for a day when we do that. It works well for us.

I have heard of Minimed users using the pump you described. One friend loves it, the other had it leak so I am still undecided about that. We've already had to replace my sons pump because water got into the battery compartment and fried it so now we disconnect for swimming etc. Don't want to take a chance, ya know?

Elaine

Thanks for the plug for the diabetes pages at AllEarsNet I have a blog with some reactions to the FFL conferance at http://YDMV.net (Your Diabetes May Vary)

Hi everybody!
We just got back from a 10 night Disney cruise in the Med and they were wonderful at accomdating my needs. I had filled out the medical infor form way in advanced so that the cruise line we know and so that I could get a frigh for our stateroom. When we got to our room their was a fridge waiting all plugged in and a sharps container waiting. The were also very easily able to accomdate my dietary needs. I have to eat very low carbs to keep my BS level. After a brief talk with the cheif the first night everything was set. It was nice to have a wonderful SF low carb desert every night. They were also prepared on the excursions. Even though we always carry things for lows. Every tourguide made sure i knew that they knew and had things for me if i were to need them. Customs was even easy no one asked any questions about my pump supplies. After being worried about this it turned out to be a wonderful experience and one we can't wait to repeat.

Lissa

We just returned Saturday - our dd (4) was diagnosed Nov. '06. It was not easy - but we had an amazing time! The cooler weather is the only way to go. We had many lows from the heat. Our dd is on the pump which helped a lot with flexibility. PM me with any specific questions - I'd be happy to help. If you want, I could call you as well to talk at length. We did have the GAC so I can tell you how that went as well. Thiis was our first time travelling as well. It was a magical trip - but it was stressful for me - the stress of D doesn't go away on vacation. I'm a worry wart! You'll have a blast - Disney is so wonderful and accomodating!

We never realized that my son who is type 1 could get a GAC. What special requests did you have put down for daughter in order to get the GAC?

We never realized that my son who is type 1 could get a GAC. What special requests did you have put down for daughter in order to get the GAC?
That is not a question that can be answered on the board. We ask posters NOT TO SHARE SUCH SPECIFIC INFORMATION on the board (note to poster: This is not directed at your question - the capital letters are just to make clear to posters not to post specific information).

If you have not read it yet, there is a section about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the thread list on this board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter