Type 1 Diabetes in Disney

We do have an android but the problem is we live in Canada and the data roaming fees are astronomical when we travel outside the country. This is why the book would probably work better for us.

Calorie King has a book as well. We keep it in the car just in case.

Hope this helps!
Jay

We do have an android but the problem is we live in Canada and the data roaming fees are astronomical when we travel outside the country. This is why the book would probably work better for us.

WiFi is now pretty ubiquitous* around the guest areas, so as long as you're on WiFi and not your cell data service, you should be able to avoid any additional charges and get all the Internet access you need.

*Inside some ride buildings you may be out of luck, but I've had good luck everywhere outside, and in every restaurant where I've tried. Resort hotels are especially well-blanketed.

WiFi is now pretty ubiquitous* around the guest areas, so as long as you're on WiFi and not your cell data service, you should be able to avoid any additional charges and get all the Internet access you need.

*Inside some ride buildings you may be out of luck, but I've had good luck everywhere outside, and in every restaurant where I've tried. Resort hotels are especially well-blanketed.

Are the theme parks making wifi available to guests? If so, I'll have to get that app.

We were like that too at first. It does become more routine after a few months and carb counting becomes almost second nature......life has become a series of continuous math problems!

The advice offered here on DISboards makes me feel a little better about Disney and type 1 diabetes. The thing I am taking most to heart is to test, test, test!

For those of you with experience with T1D in the Florida heat, do you think that a GAC is necessary? Will the heat have that much of an effect on her levels? Or is it just that we can't risk her being in line for an extended period of time? I hadn't even considered one of these but perhaps it might be a good idea to have in case we absolutely needed it.

Also, does anyone have any ideas about a pocket sized book for carb counting that would be easy to tote around? Something that would include carbs plus fibre information would be ideal.

I don't think a GAC is necessary. But you could always get one at any time during your trip if you find the lines and heat are too much for her. Everyone's different (diabetes aside, some people just can't take that much heat).

Ice cream does tend to send her readings through the roof but if her carb requirements are increased, then she should be able to enjoy these like she did on our past trips! I KNOW she will be happy to know this since it was one of the things we all very much looked forward to in the hot, hot, hot August heat.

I am not type 1, but type 2. It runs in the family and I was diagnosed the day before leaving for s Disney trip. I was just going to comment on your ice cream comment. I can have ice cream, a small serving and it doesn't spike my numbers. I usually have about 1/4 to 1/2 cup as my evening snack. Because it is both a carb and a protein it breaks down slower than something that is a straight carb. When in Disney, I tend to splurge a little because of all of the extra walking and I sometimes hit the gym. Everyone is different and there might be certain trigger foods that can bother her more than others. One of my favorite foods is pasta I found dreamfields low carb pasta to be a great solution. I can make all of my favorite pasta dishes and not have my numbers spike.

Again, I have found for me that I can basically eat whatever I want within reason and be careful with portion control. By doing this I have been able to keep my numbers in a very good range.

Good luck and have a great trip!

I don't think a GAC is necessary. But you could always get one at any time during your trip if you find the lines and heat are too much for her. Everyone's different (diabetes aside, some people just can't take that much heat).

We have plenty of experience with the August heat having been to Florida 4 times previously in August. Yes it is very hot but with careful planning and lots of fluids we have coped pretty well. This being our first time to Disney since her diagnosis last September, I don't know what to expect and I just don't want her to have negative effects from the heat masking a possible low. You know, the sweating, lightheadedness/dizziness, increased heart rate, headache all are common symptoms of being overheated AND low blood sugar.
If we can avoid the overheating with the GAC perhaps it might be worthwhile to get so that she can avoid extended time in the summer Florida heat.

We are now less than 2 weeks before we arrive in Florida. I'm just bumping this thread to see if there is any further advice out there for coping with my DD10 in Disney who has Type 1 Diabetes. Also, I was wondering how the glucometers function in the heat of a Florida summer? I know that they will not work in the extreme cold (the battery freezes up). Will the heat affect it also?

The closer we get, the more nervous I become.:scared:

We just returned 2 days ago from our first trip since our DD8 was diagnosed T1D 18 months ago. I was so nervous, even though we have taken over 15 trips to WDW, but we did it! She did great- found she ran on the low side more often, but I am sure it was because of all the walking and pool time. I adjusted her long- lasting insulin a smidge, upped the carbs a bit at snack time, and that seemed to help. We tested about every two hours. Had no problems with her meter, but we packed a back up just in case. We used a FRIO- it was exactly what we needed to keep her Insulin pens, test strips, and Glucagon pen at room temp, so they wouldn't cook in the heat.
As far as carbs, all the snacks at the ice cream carts have nutrition labels, as does the grapes, milk and Uncrustable pb&j sandwiches you get in the the kids meals. Otherwise, we have become pretty good a estimating carbs in restaurant foods, based on chain restaurants who do post their nutritional values.
We did not get a GAC. With Fastpasses we had very few waits, and almost all lines anymore are shaded, or inside. If you have any specifif questions, please ask. The 2 weeks prior to leaving I went back and forth between "We got this, we can do it" and "What in the world are we doing, going to WDW in July with a diabetic for 10 days?"! But I knew we could not let Diabetes control us, and we needed to live our lives as normal as possible, just in a new way. We had a great time!

We are now less than 2 weeks before we arrive in Florida. I'm just bumping this thread to see if there is any further advice out there for coping with my DD10 in Disney who has Type 1 Diabetes. Also, I was wondering how the glucometers function in the heat of a Florida summer? I know that they will not work in the extreme cold (the battery freezes up). Will the heat affect it also?

The meter should be fine; DH has always only been concerned with the temperature of his insulin. Stay calm. You'll be fine, just take it easy. :thumbsup2

I've been T1 for 29 years; I was diagnosed when I was 16. I've been to Disney about half a dozen times as a T1, but never as a child so I can't really comment on kids' meals.

Regarding some of the things discussed here:

• I always carry my own snacks, no matter where I go. I just feel better having something on me in case I'm stuck in line or somewhere where I can't get a snack quickly. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have a Disney snack as a planned treat. :)
  • The heat itself doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels. The increased activity does, though, so I do monitor my levels more than I do at home (at home is 4-6x a day). Based on my own experience, I will say that checking blood sugar levels right before you sit at a lengthy attraction might be a good idea. When I was 19, I had a hypoglyemic reaction during the Hall of Presidents and I'm thinking that if we had just been walking around, I would have realized it sooner.
  • I haven't had an issue with my meter with the heat. As you've noted, I have seen it act a bit strange when it's cold, though.
  • On one of our trips, it was a bit of a challenge because we decided to go to Disney after our ADR window had opened and some of the times for our ADRs were a bit later than the times we ate at home. (I wanted my DD to have a princess meal and the only time I could get was around 8 PM.) I've been diabetic long enough to know how to juggle that, but when it's all still so new, it can be stressful. Do you have ADRs?

How long has your DD between T1? I do remember the first vacation (not to Disney) that my family took after I was diagnosed. It was a bit nerve-wracking, because I had only been diagnosed a few weeks earlier and everything was still very new and overwhelming. I am sure it is stressful. The biggest tip I can give is to just check those levels more frequently than normal and you won't miss any lows. I'm also guessing that after a day or two, your family will relax a bit.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Type one here, and never had a meter problem in DW, or Hawaii, or anywhere else during summer and humidity..
During marathons I had to keep my kit on my belt, and your post reminded me of having to make sure fingers were dry before I handled my test strips. In rain that's a bigger issue, but sweat, too. Otherwise I don't give it a second thought.
Have fun!

:goodvibes

Same here, heat isn't a problem for my CGM or my regular meter. The insulin is more heat sensitive, but with a little insulation or a Frio bag it does fine at WDW.
Don't worry, test a bunch, expect lower numbers than normal, and have a great trip!

We just returned 2 days ago from our first trip since our DD8 was diagnosed T1D 18 months ago. I was so nervous, even though we have taken over 15 trips to WDW, but we did it! She did great- found she ran on the low side more often, but I am sure it was because of all the walking and pool time. I adjusted her long- lasting insulin a smidge, upped the carbs a bit at snack time, and that seemed to help. We tested about every two hours. Had no problems with her meter, but we packed a back up just in case. We used a FRIO- it was exactly what we needed to keep her Insulin pens, test strips, and Glucagon pen at room temp, so they wouldn't cook in the heat.
As far as carbs, all the snacks at the ice cream carts have nutrition labels, as does the grapes, milk and Uncrustable pb&j sandwiches you get in the the kids meals. Otherwise, we have become pretty good a estimating carbs in restaurant foods, based on chain restaurants who do post their nutritional values.
We did not get a GAC. With Fastpasses we had very few waits, and almost all lines anymore are shaded, or inside. If you have any specifif questions, please ask. The 2 weeks prior to leaving I went back and forth between "We got this, we can do it" and "What in the world are we doing, going to WDW in July with a diabetic for 10 days?"! But I knew we could not let Diabetes control us, and we needed to live our lives as normal as possible, just in a new way. We had a great time!

I am doing the same back and forth thing....lol. It's good to know what to expect so thanks for the heads up on the decreased long acting and the increased snacks. I can live with a few days of highs but the lows scare me!

I've been T1 for 29 years; I was diagnosed when I was 16. I've been to Disney about half a dozen times as a T1, but never as a child so I can't really comment on kids' meals.

Regarding some of the things discussed here:

• I always carry my own snacks, no matter where I go. I just feel better having something on me in case I'm stuck in line or somewhere where I can't get a snack quickly. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have a Disney snack as a planned treat. :)
  • The heat itself doesn't seem to affect my blood sugar levels. The increased activity does, though, so I do monitor my levels more than I do at home (at home is 4-6x a day). Based on my own experience, I will say that checking blood sugar levels right before you sit at a lengthy attraction might be a good idea. When I was 19, I had a hypoglyemic reaction during the Hall of Presidents and I'm thinking that if we had just been walking around, I would have realized it sooner.
  • I haven't had an issue with my meter with the heat. As you've noted, I have seen it act a bit strange when it's cold, though.
  • On one of our trips, it was a bit of a challenge because we decided to go to Disney after our ADR window had opened and some of the times for our ADRs were a bit later than the times we ate at home. (I wanted my DD to have a princess meal and the only time I could get was around 8 PM.) I've been diabetic long enough to know how to juggle that, but when it's all still so new, it can be stressful. Do you have ADRs?

How long has your DD between T1? I do remember the first vacation (not to Disney) that my family took after I was diagnosed. It was a bit nerve-wracking, because I had only been diagnosed a few weeks earlier and everything was still very new and overwhelming. I am sure it is stressful. The biggest tip I can give is to just check those levels more frequently than normal and you won't miss any lows. I'm also guessing that after a day or two, your family will relax a bit.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Yes we do have ADRs but mostly at good times and we have given Disney the heads up and attached her diagnosis to our reservations. She has been diagnosed since last Sept 2012, just after we got back from our last trip. It has been a bit of a roller coaster but we are getting better at it. We will be checking more frequently and I am glad to hear that the glucometers do fine in the heat.

Also, I have heard others mention about their insulin spoiling in the heat. How do you know that is spoiled?

Type one here, and never had a meter problem in DW, or Hawaii, or anywhere else during summer and humidity..
During marathons I had to keep my kit on my belt, and your post reminded me of having to make sure fingers were dry before I handled my test strips. In rain that's a bigger issue, but sweat, too. Otherwise I don't give it a second thought.
Have fun!

:goodvibes

Do you have a continuous monitor? We are looking at the pros and cons currently and my daughter has pretty much given up running. :/

Also, I have heard others mention about their insulin spoiling in the heat. How do you know that is spoiled?

For me, I know after a day of wacky, high readings that don't make sense and don't seem to budge, even with extra injections. I'm on Humalog and NPH, which is an uncommon regimen these days, and I will say it's normally the NPH that is more susceptible to the heat.

Do you have a continuous monitor? We are looking at the pros and cons currently and my daughter has pretty much given up running. :/

No. I have heard of them but am so comfortable with simply testing and injections that I have never considered changing to that, or the pump either.

Many years ago my MD told me, because I am type 1 diabetic, that I shouldn't be running marathons.... so I changed doctors. My next doctor and then another endo told me it's the best thing I could be doing! Sounds like the current state of medicine, right?

I no longer run marathons, I ran a bunch and it was enough, but still run almost daily and average 30 -40 miles/week.

The thing for me is to test, test, test! Carry gluclose tablets, and know your body! Exercise has been the best thing, ever, to help control my blood sugar. When I DON'T run is when I hurt my body.
Normal disclaimer that this is JMHO, but wish you the best of luck! :goodvibes

I LOVE my CGM. It is a Dexcom G4 so the receiver is quite small and I can carry it in a pocket or in a pouch. The range is excellent, and the sensor is pretty small too. My wife sleeps better at night knowing that we will be alerted to lows before I get low enough to cause problems. The only con of the CGM for me has been the cost, and it is totally worth it. My wife would sell a kidney to keep it!

My wife and I are just getting into running, and there is no reason I can't do it with my Type 1 diabetes.

Just my .02 cents worth. I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 4 years old. I am now approaching 60. Diabetes has never stopped me from doing anything that I wanted to do, including running cross country for 4 years in high school and 4 years in college. Then I moved on to running marathons. I have hiked, alone, in the White mountains of N.H., for 10 days. I have climbed all the peaks in the White mountains. I was an avid scuba diver for 15 years. The only thing diabetes ever kept me from doing was joining the military (not an altogether bad thing). I had the option of going on the pump, but as I have been taking shots all my life (4 a day now), I opted not to use the pump as it meant more trips to the drs. office. Growing up, my pediatrician never had me count calories (when I went to diabetic camp in HS my bunk mates could not believe that I did not have a scale in my kitchen !) I always adjusted my insulin to my food intake and exercise level, no carb counting involved. I have never been in the hospital due to my diabetes (knock loudly on wood !) I have been to Disney a few times, although never as a child. I agree with test more often. I also agree with have fun - you can adjust your insulin intake for higher that normal blood sugars. When I am at Disney I usually carry the pen in my pocket, with my meter, and test before meals. Where I have been a diabetic for so long, I easily recognize the symptoms of dropping or climbing blood sugars well in advance, and seldom have issues with either. With a child, especially a newly diagnosed diabetic, it will take some practice. That is why the added testing is important. Rest assured, you can lead a normal life. Have a great trip and good luck.

Thanks all for the support. I have picked up a lot of good info from these boards and I have never failed to get an answer to any questions I come up with. I'm sure we will do fine at Disney and all the advice will come in very handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter