Two Year Old Twins in Magic Kingdom...

Mamapapa

DIS Veteran
So we just got back from a week long trip with only DS7. It was amazing. So amazing that I'm throwing myself a pity party because I want to go back! Long story short, DH and I agreed that we don't want to take our family of five back to Disney until the twins are 5yo as we don't want to do over a week at Disney with strollers, diaper bags or daily naps (that's just our style). What we can't agree on is whether or not my parents should go with us. I say yes since they'd love to share in the twins 1st trip, he says no since they'd slow us down (for the record, he does have a valid point here! Best part of the trip with DS7 was that we did whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted!). So then my Mom tells me last night that they plan on renting a 3 bedroom condo in Daytona for two weeks in early 2013. We all know how close Daytona is to Orlando, so I think I might have found a solution to all our problems. We take a day trip to just the Magic Kingdom. My parents get to be there for the twins first visit, and then when we go back in 2015 we can do it DH's way and go just the five of us. So what do you think, think my plan will work? I can already hear DH "are you crazy? you want to take 2.5yo twins to the Magic Kingdom?". So my second question is, has anyone else done this? Is it really that bad? :lmao:

Just to make sure everyone understands, I'm not saying I don't think DH and I can handle our twins at Disney. I'm looking for tips from people who have taken toddler twins to Disney since it's something we've never done before and it's way different then taking DS7!!!

So we just got back from a week long trip with only DS7. It was amazing. So amazing that I'm throwing myself a pity party because I want to go back! Long story short, DH and I agreed that we don't want to take our family of five back to Disney until the twins are 5yo. What we can't agree on is whether or not my parents should go with us. I say yes, he says no. So then my Mom tells me last night that they plan on renting a 3 bedroom condo in Daytona for two weeks in early 2013. We all know how close Daytona is to Orlando, so I think I might have found a solution to all our problems. We take a day trip to just the Magic Kingdom. My parents get to be there for the twins first visit, and then when we go back in 2015 we can do it DH's way and go just the five of us. So what do you think, think my plan will work? I can already hear DH "are you crazy? you want to take 2.5yo twins to the Magic Kingdom?". So my second question is, has anyone else done this? Is it really that bad? There will be four adults versus the two of them, how bad could it be?! :lmao:

We took our twins in May at 18 months with zero grandparent help and are taking them again at 23 months old in a couple of weeks, once again with zero grandparent help. We are also going in early December and they will be just over 2 and we will have grandparents with us. Honestly, I think you both are making it seem more difficult than it actually is. I say go and have a great time. And go for more than one day!

Why would you not take the twins? I'm not being mean-spirited, but are you going to wait until they are 5 to do most things with them? If you have extra help, then of course go. I mean four adults for five kids?? I'm pretty sure that you could handle it. But even if you don't have extra help, just go! :thumbsup2

We're taking our then 20 month old twins this winter without extra help. I mean, their our kids, I'd like to think we can do things with them without having help along. ;)

I don't think it odd that you wonder if you can handle 2 year old twins at Disney. It's a bit more involved than say the zoo or the movies or something like that. That being said, I think your plan is a good one, although I would definitely plan more than one day. Meanwhile, the 7 year old is old enough to do Disney a whole different way than the twins, so it will be great to have help so he can go with someone and experience things the twins are too small to experience. Just keep in mind that with the twins along, it will be a totally different experience than you had with just their older brother. Different but still amazing in it's own way. Hope hubby goes for it!

We took our twins (boy and girl also) when they were 6 months and now again when they are a year old. It is a little more work than when we use to go with our DD but we make it work.

The bonus is you are going with family who can help. We have gone just the 5 of us.

Why would you not take the twins? I'm not being mean-spirited, but are you going to wait until they are 5 to do most things with them? I mean, their our kids, I'd like to think we can do things with them without having help along.
You missed the point of my post. We do a lot with our kids, and we've done a lot of trips. But we don't get the oppurtunity to visit Disney often and we prefer not to do it with strollers, or the need for naps, or with a diaper bag. At this age, my twins will not remember this day if we do make this happen so I don't feel they would miss out if we decide to stick with our original plan to wait until they're old enough to enjoy and remember it. We also have very little to no help with our children on a daily basis, so I'm not sure why you would think that I was posting that I need help just to walk out the front foor with my twins. I guess I'm missing the point of your post on that one since it had nothing to do with what I was asking. I've never taken toddlers to Disney, it's just never worked into our plans. So my question was to other parents of twins who have taken them as toddlers to give me an idea of how it worked out for them. I don't need my parents there for help, I want them to come because they enjoy Disney more with their Grandkids. DH doesn't want them to go because they slow us down (sorry Mom, but he's right on that one!). No where did I mention that we would need any additional help to handle our own 3 kids. I was just curious what it's like taking 2 year old twins to Disney since I've never done it, that's all...
Just keep in mind that with the twins along, it will be a totally different experience than you had with just their older brother.
Exactly! We've only ever done this with our older son, so thanks to everyone who's provided some great tips so far!

We took my twin girls when they were 22 months and their brother who was 6 months on their first Disney trip. They had a blast! Took them again the following year ( ages 2 and 1) and are planning our next trip (for the twins 4th birthday!). I have gone both with and without extra "help." My parents were there for the kids first trip and they got to experience the kids firsts along with us. They were very good at not getting in the way of my DH and me experience the kids first rides and characters. They were just as excited to see the kids faces.

There is planty for the twins to experience in the parks. Just take it a little slower and pack efficiently in your diaper bag! I think I had 3 bags on the first day of our first trip and that quickly came to an end!

Let me start by saying I do NOT have twins, but I do have "almost" Irish twins. My youngest are 1yr, 1week apart and we have 2 older kids who are
15 mo apart.

We are booked for 2 trips to WDW next year. We have a trip planned for Oct of next year (the little boys 1st trip...just a quick one, 3 nts). The little boys will be almost 4 and almost 3. The other trip is planned for next Dec for 7nts. We are hoping the Oct trip will give us a small idea of what to expect in Dec.

I think your plan sounds great. Take the twins! There is still so much that they can do and they are only little once :thumbsup2

We've taken our 14 month old twins and the challenges are:

~ the rides and baby swap - 1 parent juggling 2 small ones while the other parent rides then swap... we didn't want to deal with that BUT when we talked to the CM at Star Tours - she gave us a magical FP for the ride and that solved that. That was the only ride we did that with though. The rest of the time either I or DH would take DS on a ride.

~ Lots of diaper changes and supplies to carry. This wasn't a HUGE issue - but DH and I each carried a backpack with enough supplies for 1 baby. As the day went on - the packs got lighter. We loved the baby care centers for feeding and changing them.

We also had to change our expectation of what our trip would look like. We have always been GO GO GO commandos. I like to know what we are going to do and when. This has changed and we were very very laid back with the twins. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed it just as much as we ever have.

You already know when you have twins you to need to plan plan plan and then go with the flow... It is funny how much planning it takes to be able to go with the flow with twins...

What ever you do - I am sure that it will be magical!

pack efficiently in your diaper bag!
Since we've never done Disney with a diaper bag, we'll have to put a lot of thought and planning into this one! We've mastered the giant "all day bag" and the smaller "twins can share stuff emergency bag", so I'm sure we could figure out what would need to go in the "Disney bag". But I'm also sure we'll probably over pack and have too much stuff!!!
~ the rides and baby swap - 1 parent juggling 2 small ones while the other parent rides then swap...
~ Lots of diaper changes and supplies to carry. We loved the baby care centers for feeding and changing them.
~ We also had to change our expectation of what our trip would look like. We have always been GO GO GO commandos. I like to know what we are going to do and when. This has changed and we were very very laid back with the twins. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed it just as much as we ever have.
~ You already know when you have twins you to need to plan plan plan and then go with the flow... It is funny how much planning it takes to be able to go with the flow with twins...
This was all EXTREAMLY helpful info and exactly the kind of tips I was looking for from the experienced Mom's on this board. Thank you so much!

We have 6 yr old twin girls and 1 is autistic. We have done Disney with them at 16 mth, 2, 4, 5, and doing it again in November. They love it each and every time. You just have to be realistic about the expectations and not over do or cram everything into the day. I wouldn't trade anything for the memories.

We went with my daughter and her husband to WDW when her twin boys were 2.5. We'd planned a visit by ourselves but then daughter and family thought that it would be fun if we all went together, so they joined us.

The original plan was for us to help with the twins and also to sit with them some evenings so daughter and husband could have some much needed alone time.

I was amazed at how much the boys loved Disney. We rented 2 strollers instead of a double and that worked out well. While Mom and Dad rode the big rides, Grandpop and I strolled around with the twins and did things more to their liking and ours! :)

We volunteered to take the boys back to the hotel for naps (we usually needed one, too) and that worked out well, too. The coming and going was no problem because we stayed at the Poly and just rolled those strollers on and off the monorail.

We were there 10 days and watched the boys 3 times so their parents could have an evening out. One evening we all went to the Hoop-de-Doo and another we all went to the Polynesian Dinner show. The boys did great; on our evenings out we went back to the hotel a little bit later for their naps and they were up and ready to go!

Daughter and her husband decided to go to Universal Studios for the day and we planned to stay at the hotel and rest around the pool with the twins. But the weather was cool and they got chilled, so we packed them up and went to MK. We had a ball, just us 2 old folks and the twins strolling around, snacking, riding small world, the carousel and enjoying ourselves.

All children are different, but the twins made excellent touring partners for me and Grandpop. I'd say if we old folks could do it, so can you. :)

OMG!!! That is sooo not hard!! We took (just DH and I) our triplets when they were 4-years-old, then 5, then again when they were 7 and our DD was 15 months...again...by ourselves and wouldn't have it any other way!! Soo much fun!! Just went this past Aug. and DD was a little over 2...soo magical!! Have fun!!:wizard:

If you'll have help, easy-peasy. I'd do it no question. :) In June we took our crew, 8 year old w/ special needs (mild CP, needs a s/n stroller @ Disney) and twins 2 weeks shy of their 2nd birthday. The only adults were me & DH. Sure there were rough spots, but we all survived & had fun.

Your twins are only 1 now, right? It's so hard to imagine now what they (and life w/ them) will be like at 2 1/2. It will be totally different. :)

The boys have gone three times, at 11 months, 18 months and at 2.5. We are very lucky because we had been before kids, and so we never felt like we were missing out on anything. We go slowly, ride the same rides over and over and just let them have fun! 2.5 is a great age to take them.

However, I do not think I would in your situation. It's about an hour (?) drive in each direction, and there would be no place to take a mid-day break (which for my guys was a requirement). It just seems like a really long day, and I think you all would feel rushed and bummed at the end of it.

We went with my daughter and her husband to WDW when her twin boys were 2.5. We'd planned a visit by ourselves but then daughter and family thought that it would be fun if we all went together, so they joined us.

The original plan was for us to help with the twins and also to sit with them some evenings so daughter and husband could have some much needed alone time.

I was amazed at how much the boys loved Disney. We rented 2 strollers instead of a double and that worked out well. While Mom and Dad rode the big rides, Grandpop and I strolled around with the twins and did things more to their liking and ours! :)

We volunteered to take the boys back to the hotel for naps (we usually needed one, too) and that worked out well, too. The coming and going was no problem because we stayed at the Poly and just rolled those strollers on and off the monorail.

We were there 10 days and watched the boys 3 times so their parents could have an evening out. One evening we all went to the Hoop-de-Doo and another we all went to the Polynesian Dinner show. The boys did great; on our evenings out we went back to the hotel a little bit later for their naps and they were up and ready to go!

Daughter and her husband decided to go to Universal Studios for the day and we planned to stay at the hotel and rest around the pool with the twins. But the weather was cool and they got chilled, so we packed them up and went to MK. We had a ball, just us 2 old folks and the twins strolling around, snacking, riding small world, the carousel and enjoying ourselves.

All children are different, but the twins made excellent touring partners for me and Grandpop. I'd say if we old folks could do it, so can you. :)

Aunt Bee - can you adopt me? LOL j/k (unless you are willing) - We haven't left the twins with anyone yet - They can be overwhelming for most of our family. I am not complaining - but wouldn't complain about that alone time with my hubby either. Your DD is very lucky - you are a good mom.

OP I wanted to add a bit about the characters - The Fairy-Godmother was AWESOME with them. She scooped up the boy without hesitation, cast a spell on him to relax then took his sister - I was really impressed with her handling 2 babies.

Twins get a lot of attention - we did use a double wide jogging stroller. We debated and debated and in the end - the fact that we had our own car and would not have to worry about collapsing it etc - and the fact that it would be the most comfortable ride for them won out. We only encountered 1 nasty person the entire time we were there. She made an impression though. I will spare you the details - but it wasn't the "twins - wow - you have your hands full" moment we have grown accustom to.

I am going to WDW today for my first solo trip with the twins. We are only doing about 4 hours. I am meeting a girl from high school who I haven't seen in 20 years. I am pretty excited - but nervous. My daughter is very shy and isn't a big fan of strangers, so we will see how THAT goes!

I will keep you posted. :goodvibes

However, I do not think I would in your situation. It's about an hour (?) drive in each direction, and there would be no place to take a mid-day break (which for my guys was a requirement). It just seems like a really long day, and I think you all would feel rushed and bummed at the end of it.
This is my fear as well. I'm starting to wonder if we should spend one night in a monorail resort just so we don't feel "rushed and bummed" like you said. This is the kind of info I was looking for when I posted this thread, you gave me a lot to think about! Like I said before, we've never done Disney with toddlers so I appreciate all the comments so far from people like you who've been there, done that, and know what does and doesn't work!!!
My daughter is very shy and isn't a big fan of strangers, so we will see how THAT goes!
So is mine! We joke that she doesn't discriminate, she hates everyone equally. ;)

We took our twins to WDW for 8 nights when they were 2.4 and it was GREAT!!!! We had them nap each day in the room and they went to bed about 1/2 an hour later than usual. We really stuck to their schedule and they were fantastic and they had a great time!! We only had 2 adults and it was not bad at all, you'll have a blast!!

This is my fear as well. I'm starting to wonder if we should spend one night in a monorail resort just so we don't feel "rushed and bummed" like you said. This is the kind of info I was looking for when I posted this thread, you gave me a lot to think about! Like I said before, we've never done Disney with toddlers so I appreciate all the comments so far from people like you who've been there, done that, and know what does and doesn't work!!!
So is mine! We joke that she doesn't discriminate, she hates everyone equally. ;)

Yeah, I'd tag on a night or two at a monorail resort. We stayed at BC & while it was a very nice resort, the commute to & from MK w/ twins was kind of a bummer. With my twins, naptime on vacation was very hit or miss, as sometimes they crashed out in stroller & catnapped, but that meant they missed a regular nap & were apt to get cranky later unless they crashed out again. But we did daily downtime at the resort, nap or no.

The kids may surprise you regarding characters. My usually outgoing DS was scared of the characters until close to the end of the trip. And my stranger phobic DD, wanted to hug every character she saw.:confused3 I could have never predicted that. I did try to prep them showing them pics & videos of the characters & other children, guess my DD made the leap from screen to real life better than DS.

3 things I learned today

1 my daughter hates when people talk to her.

2 people are more drawn to talk to little girls than little boys (and my little boy would have responded with a huge grin)

and 3 - the the handicap stall in the bathroom next to Wave at CR will not fit a double stroller no matter how badly you need it to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter