two week west coast trip - help with planning needed

susannah365

Mouseketeer
we are planning on going to Disneyland next summer (probably june, or maybe early july) and also want to see family in Burbank (just outside los angeles) and zion, bryce and antelope canyon. our family is me, DH, DD(7), DS(4) (ages at next summer).

my current plan is:

fly into las vegas and spend one night
drive to zion national park and spend 2 nights
drive to bryce canyon and spend 1 night
drive to page and spend 2 nights including:see antelope canyon on a mid-day tour,
drive to las vegas stay one night
fly to burbank and stay with family for 2 nights
early drive to disneyland and stay 3 nights
drive to LAX and fly home

this is only 12 nights so far so got another 2 to allocate somewhere. trying to decide between using them to do sea world/legoland or to see north rim of grand canyon (we have been to south rim before)

anyone have any thoughts on my itinerary?

we don't have tonnes of cash so i'm wondering what the most cost effective way of doing it is? are there cheapish hotels to stay at in zion/bryce/page or should we hire an RV/campervan or use tents? i know it's early to be planning, but i also know that the best places do get booked up a year in advance and i don't want to miss anthing special!

Can't help with most of your trip but would say you might want to go later in June to make sure everything is up and running with Carsland. This year most of the new stuff was Memorial Day weekend and then first week of June but DL's summer typically doesn't start until mid June.

we are planning on going to Disneyland next summer (probably june, or maybe early july) and also want to see family in Burbank (just outside los angeles) and zion, bryce and antelope canyon. our family is me, DH, DD(7), DS(4) (ages at next summer).

my current plan is:

fly into las vegas and spend one night
drive to zion national park and spend 2 nights
drive to bryce canyon and spend 1 night
drive to page and spend 2 nights including:see antelope canyon on a mid-day tour,
drive to las vegas stay one night
fly to burbank and stay with family for 2 nights
early drive to disneyland and stay 3 nights
drive to LAX and fly home

this is only 12 nights so far so got another 2 to allocate somewhere. trying to decide between using them to do sea world/legoland or to see north rim of grand canyon (we have been to south rim before)

anyone have any thoughts on my itinerary?

we don't have tonnes of cash so i'm wondering what the most cost effective way of doing it is? are there cheapish hotels to stay at in zion/bryce/page or should we hire an RV/campervan or use tents? i know it's early to be planning, but i also know that the best places do get booked up a year in advance and i don't want to miss anthing special!

We just came back from Zion/Bryce/Page etc. I would recommend only 1 night at Zion and 2 nights at Bryce. We spent one afternoon and one morning in Zion and found that to be sufficient, unless you plan to hike some major trails. There are several choices of hotels outside of Zion. If you camp, you probably need to get reservations ahead of time.

The North Rim is only 2-3 hours away from Page. You could spend a night at the North Rim on your way back to Vegas, instead of 2 nights at Page.

You can camp at Bryce, but the only places to stay are Ruby's and the Best Western Grand. We spent one entire day at Bryce and that was sufficient. Again, unless you plan to do some serious trails.

Depending on when you arrive in Page, one night should do. You'll be amazed at Antelope Canyon, it is breath taking.

thanks for that info. we won't be doing any major trails, but do want to get off the beaten track if possible. so it sounds like this might be the way::

day 1- fly into las vegas, collect hire car and spend one night
day 2- drive to zion national park in the morning, arrive lunchtime, do the shuttle bus in the afternoon, stay one night.
day 3 - do a hike in zion then drive to bryce canyon in evening and spend 1 night
day 4 - do a hike in bryce canyon and explore, stay the night
day 5 - drive to page and see lake powell
day 6 - morning at beach, 1130 tour of antelope canyon, drive to north rim of grand canyon(2-3hrs) and stay the night
day 7- drive to las vegas and stay the night
day 8 - fly to burbank and stay with family
day 9 - burbank based - day the the beach
day 10 - burbank based
day 11 - up early to drive to disneyland
day 12 - disneyland
day 13 - disneyland
day 14 - disneyland/or legoland?
day 15 - drive to LAX and fly home

time to start to look at hotels in the areas now i think, get an idea of how much this is going to cost us!

thanks for that info. we won't be doing any major trails, but do want to get off the beaten track if possible. so it sounds like this might be the way::

day 1- fly into las vegas, collect hire car and spend one night
day 2- drive to zion national park in the morning, arrive lunchtime, do the shuttle bus in the afternoon, stay one night.
day 3 - do a hike in zion then drive to bryce canyon in evening and spend 1 night
day 4 - do a hike in bryce canyon and explore, stay the night
day 5 - drive to page and see lake powell
day 6 - morning at beach, 1130 tour of antelope canyon, drive to north rim of grand canyon(2-3hrs) and stay the night
day 7- drive to las vegas and stay the night
day 8 - fly to burbank and stay with family
day 9 - burbank based - day the the beach
day 10 - burbank based
day 11 - up early to drive to disneyland
day 12 - disneyland
day 13 - disneyland
day 14 - disneyland/or legoland?
day 15 - drive to LAX and fly home

time to start to look at hotels in the areas now i think, get an idea of how much this is going to cost us!

A few things.

1) Love ... love ... love Zion and Bryce. Highly recommend the Emerald Pools trail. We did all three pools (lower, middle and upper). They are chained so you can go to the lower (all paved) and then hike to the middle (a trail) and then if you decide to turn around, head back on the grotto trail ... OR ... you can choose to hike on up to the upper pools. Another very short trail is weeping rock, also paved and a longer hike that is also fun is Riverside walk (also paved). Bring water shoes for Riverside walk so you can wade in the river at the end of the trail. You *could* do all of those in one day, but unless you are used to hiking, I wouldn't recommend it. You could do weeping rock or even Riverside walk the day you arrive. Do Emerald Pools in the morning as the upper pools hike is exposed to sun and can get hot. Once you get to the top though it is very cool and shaded.

2) Bryce has more hiking trails than Zion but we only spent a day there and still saw all we wanted. We went in April so some of the trails were closed. Gorgeous views and great trails but careful if you are afraid of heights. In Zion you are at the bottom of the canyon and at Bryce you are at the rim. I can't remember the trails we took at Bryce but we made a nice loop (it was called a loop) out of about three of the trails that took us down quite a few switchbacks and back up a very nice trail. Lots to see.

Not sure where you are planning to stay but there is a place called Zion Ponderosa that is just outside the Zion entrance and is just over an hour (if memory serves) to Bryce. They have cabins as well as places for tents and plenty to do for the kids. You can very easily stay three nights right there and enjoy as much of Zion and Bryce as you like.
http://www.zionponderosa.com/index.htm

3) Three days at DLR is almost enough. I suggest you think of skipping legoland and spend more time at DLR. It will actually cost you less and you'll be able to enjoy it more.

4) Not sure what you are doing with the rental car action. If you are renting a car in Burbank and returning it to LAX then you could be paying an extra return fee. Maybe you can fly into LAX, rent the car there and drive into Burbank or (if you are not planning on needing a car in Burbank) ask your relatives drive you to LAX to rent the car the day you are driving to DLR.

Maybe you can fly into LAX, rent the car there and drive into Burbank or (if you are not planning on needing a car in Burbank) ask your relatives drive you to LAX to rent the car the day you are driving to DLR.
Another option: Your whole family flies to Burbank. If your husband is the one doing the driving, he could take the shuttle from Burbank to LAX for $20, rent the car, then drive back to Burbank.

Woody

I prefered your 1st itinerary, with your 2 extra nights, add one to the north rim and one to Disney.

This 2nd itinerary seems rushed, especially with a 4yr old.

Zion, stay in springdale just outside of the park. Lots of accomadation options, and chances to relax by the pool after a day in the parks.

Bryce, Ruby's is usually the best option to stay in. The scenic drive is great to do, as is a horse trail.

Yes, do do the Antelope Canyon tour mid-day these times slots are the busiest but get the best light! 2 nights is great, 1 full day, don't forget about Glen Canyon Dam. You can relax by the pool when you arrive.

For hotels rec's what cheapist to you? Under $150 a night? etc...

good question about how cheap is cheap to me... i'm not sure to be honest! i'm trying to decide if i could cope with camping with the two kids, i know it would be a great adventure, but is it an adventure too far? i think it might be worth a try though as it is so cheap! i'd want a pool if possible to cool off in! otherwise, if we do go for a hotel, it doesn't have to be too flashy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter