two-way radios

I guess $20 bucks will get you one radio, but a bundle that includes a pair, batteries, charger, and various extras like earpieces will run $50 - $80 for a decent pair of Midlands. I don't think you can get the 600 series anymore, except maybe on ebay, but the 700 series is about the same, just with a longer range.

I just bought a set of 800's (Waterproof) for 63 ish from amazon.

We just picked up a set of Motorola Talkabout SX700R Two-way Radios on Ebay for $49.00 (new). On Amazon they are going to cost you about $119.99

When used on the GMRS frequencies we are getting at least three miles in range on these. Tested that out by leaving DD in the basement with one and me driving to the store about 4 miles away with the other. One of the nice features is that it has a two stage transmitter which transmits at .5 watt or 2 watt depending on what you need at the time.

Excellent radios I highly recommend.

Hope that helped.

Just ordered a set of Midland GXT710VP3 from Amaxon for $49.99 with free shipping. :cool1:

Did you read the reviews for those on Amazon? They specifically mention use on a cruise. Not the best reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not all it says it is., December 11, 2007
By S. Zirkiev "The Reader" (New York) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I assumed the walkie talkies would work well after seeing good reviews.

I just used these on a cruise with 6 other people and 26 miles is not even close to what we got, the farthest we could use these were at most 1 mile over open water, fully charged.

Many times I couldnt even hear the others while on the same boat.

Only at about 300 feet or less you can hear the other person pretty good, anything beyond 300 feet it gets very staticy or you can't hear them at all.

Besides they are very bulky.

A few times after charging it for 6 hours the battery would die out right away.

The chargers are preety cool but they dont let you know when the walkie talkies are fully charged, you have to guess or look at the battery icon which is not the best indicator, considering it can show full and die an hour later.

I have those exact radios, and think they're great. I got them from Amazon too, after reading the reviews. I compared my own experience with Midlands to that review writer's, and decided his review was either bunk or he wasn't doing something properly.

DS and I use the radios every day when he goes down the street to his friend's house, and the radios work great -- even when he is in their house and I am inside ours. And that was on FRS. We'll find out in 2 days if they work as well on the ship itself as our Motorola's always did!

-gina-

Did you read the reviews for those on Amazon? They specifically mention use on a cruise. Not the best reviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not all it says it is., December 11, 2007
By S. Zirkiev "The Reader" (New York) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I assumed the walkie talkies would work well after seeing good reviews.

I just used these on a cruise with 6 other people and 26 miles is not even close to what we got, the farthest we could use these were at most 1 mile over open water, fully charged.

Many times I couldnt even hear the others while on the same boat.

Only at about 300 feet or less you can hear the other person pretty good, anything beyond 300 feet it gets very staticy or you can't hear them at all.

Besides they are very bulky.

A few times after charging it for 6 hours the battery would die out right away.

The chargers are preety cool but they dont let you know when the walkie talkies are fully charged, you have to guess or look at the battery icon which is not the best indicator, considering it can show full and die an hour later.

I have those exact radios, and think they're great. I got them from Amazon too, after reading the reviews. I compared my own experience with Midlands to that review writer's, and decided his review was either bunk or he wasn't doing something properly.

DS and I use the radios every day when he goes down the street to his friend's house, and the radios work great -- even when he is in their house and I am inside ours. And that was on FRS. We'll find out in 2 days if they work as well on the ship itself as our Motorola's always did!

-gina-

Thanks!!

Got back earlier this week, and used our Midland GXT710's for the first time onboard the ship. DS and I have long used two-way radios on cruises and when he goes out to play, but this is the first set of Midlands we have had. We have had pretty good success previously with Motorola Talkabouts, and a short, horrid stint with a pair of Cobra's.

These Midlands are the best pair of radios we have had yet. They worked beautifully! DS's favorite hangout was deep down on deck 2 at Ocean Quest, while mine was usually way up on 10 with the breeze in my hair, and it was very rare that we had a problem with the radios even with all that metal between us. The sound was clear, and we had no static or sub-channel crosstalk.

We never had one issue with battery life. I don't think we ever even fell below 3 bars of power. We put the radios back on the very compact and travel-friendly charger dock every night before bed.

I am *very* pleased with these radios, and recommend them highly!

-gina-

Got back earlier this week, and used our Midland GXT710's for the first time onboard the ship. DS and I have long used two-way radios on cruises and when he goes out to play, but this is the first set of Midlands we have had. We have had pretty good success previously with Motorola Talkabouts, and a short, horrid stint with a pair of Cobra's.

These Midlands are the best pair of radios we have had yet. They worked beautifully! DS's favorite hangout was deep down on deck 2 at Ocean Quest, while mine was usually way up on 10 with the breeze in my hair, and it was very rare that we had a problem with the radios even with all that metal between us. The sound was clear, and we had no static or sub-channel crosstalk.

We never had one issue with battery life. I don't think we ever even fell below 3 bars of power. We put the radios back on the very compact and travel-friendly charger dock every night before bed.

I am *very* pleased with these radios, and recommend them highly!

-gina-

THANK YOU!! Only about 100 more days 'til I get to try them out myself ;)

We saw a few families with two way radios and they seemed to work. I've also heard some families use a dry-erase board on their stateroom doors to leave messages.

We used the Moorola Talkabouts(18mi) and got 2 with recharger and 2 extra faceplates and ear buds for under $40.

I just got back and too used some Midland (GXT850VP4). They were absolutely fabulous! I had virtually no issues communicating anywhere on the ship. I was also able to communicate via my stateroom to my parents as they were shopping in St. Thomas.

BTW - we also used these at WDW for a week with great success. We just used a mid sub-channel and only had 1 instance where we picked up someone else. We just changed to another sub-channel and never had another cross talker.:thumbsup2

I've ordered but have yet to receive GMRS Cobras. What happens if you don't get the FCC license? It's $75 as far as I can tell. Do the FCC police come and get you?!:scared1:

we used them last time....midrange not cheap but not the really expentive ones....USELESS....except at the resort. Too many people on same bands, and too loud to really hear.

we're just gonna use cell phones this time

we used them last time....midrange not cheap but not the really expentive ones....USELESS....except at the resort. Too many people on same bands, and too loud to really hear.

we're just gonna use cell phones this time

Do cell phones work onboard? I did a cruise to Canada a few years ago and my phone only worked on the ship when we were in port or very close to land.

Do cell phones work onboard? I did a cruise to Canada a few years ago and my phone only worked on the ship when we were in port or very close to land.

You got it, Teach! No cell phone service out at sea and only close to ports where you can get a roaming signal. Cell phones won't do you any good for about 70% of the cruise.

Thanks, bobbi!:) Now anybody know about the need for an FCC license for the two-way radios?

We didn't get a license. It's one of those sort of uninforcable things. There's not a great chance the FCC is going to track you down and fine you unless you are being really obnoxious and bleeding over into other people's frequencies and they report you. Besides, you won't be under FCC jurisdiction when you leave the country on the ship, so you'd have to worry about the communications regulations in the countries in which you're travelling, yada, yada, yada... We decided it was worth the risk to operate unlicenced!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter