Two Vegans, Too Much Food - Including D23 Party! (March 3 -6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm SO glad I found your dining review! I had no idea I could get tofutti or vegan cheese anywhere in WDW. :woohoo: I will definitely be asking for that stuff next time I'm there!

I'm not sure if it's available at all the restaurants, but it's worth a try! I was really excited when I found it :goodvibes

My goodness that man is a legend. I HAVE to eat there on my next trip. This just sounds and looks so fantastic. Could any meal you have ever again compare though? :)

He really is! And, yes, you do!

I'm not sure.. haha. Maybe the next meal we have made by him will!

SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEETT!!!!

What an awesome dessert! It seems that Chef TJ does variations on a theme when it comes to vegans at 'Ohana, but I have not seen that dessert before...amazing! Now I need to try it!

I know, right?! I wasn't expecting that little suprise in the middle! It was so cool! I almost wish we had gotten the same dessert you guys had - especially the extra cookies. But I'm glad we got something different because it was really fun seeing what else he's capable of. I'm excited to see what we get next time!

Hawaiian beer?
That sounds soooo good!

Andrea I love reading your reviews because you're just so excited in all of them! It's so great, I'm really great you were able to get Chef TJ. Now, you're going back in May, right? I'm actually making my dining reservations in May for our trip in October (so far away! D:) so I hope you have an awesome trip but I'm wondering if your dining reviews will be here in time for when I'm making my reservations.

Would you mind if I direct messaged you later on in May before I make my reservations to see how you made out and where you ate?

I probably sound like a pain in the butt but your reviews have always been so helpful. :rotfl:

I'm so glad you enjoy the reviews! I love writing them, even if I do take forever! :lmao:

Yes, me and my boyfriend are going back in May. We'll be back on the 15th unless we end up staying an extra day. So my reviews should start a few days after that. It's completely fine if you want to message me sooner than that! What day can you start making reservations?

Right now, we have reservations for 'Ohana, Tusker House, Tony's Town Sqaure, and California Grill. We'll be trying out a few new counter service restaurants, but will probably decide where to eat on the day-of for those.

This next trip will probably be our last Disney trip for a while. Probably until the Fantasyland expansion is done. So we're going to make the most of it! :goodvibes

Awesome! Thanks a lot for that...

We're actually going with a group of people this time. I think we'll be able to make our reservations at the very end of May so there will probably be time to read your reviews before that.

California Grill is SO PRETTY. I could have eaten nothing at all and have been happy just looking outside. I wasn't too fond of their cocktails but eh, it was worth it for the view. We'll be pretty much at the mercy of our group wherever they want to go, but my sister is very adamant and protective of my husband and I when it comes to our lifestyle choices (we're lucky) so I know we'll be okay.

My sister wants to definitely go to Jiko and Cali Grill. I have never been to Tony's Town Square before so I'm interested in hearing how your trip goes. I love Lady and the Tramp. One of the best.

My sister wants to definitely go to Jiko and Cali Grill. I have never been to Tony's Town Square before so I'm interested in hearing how your trip goes. I love Lady and the Tramp. One of the best.

Ugh, I want to go to Jiko so bad. But I know Jon wouldn't want to go, because it's expensive. Especially not on this next trip, since we're already doing California Grill. Maybe next time :guilty:

Sounds like you've got some good choices already, though!

Last time we went to Tony's (2007), we just had spaghetti and marinara (which is what I wanted from there). But I saw that they added this to the menu: "Multigrain Pasta Primavera - Seasonal Vegetables in Garlic and Olive Oil topped with Balsamic Glaze and Feta $13.99", so I thought I'd give it another shot. I just hope it's still on the menu in May! It sounds vegan, if ordered without the feta.

Chef TJ is fantastic! Your dessert looks amazing. :love:

I'm a vegetarian and I got the pitta chips/houmous and the tempura/tofu tower back in September. It was sooo good! I really hope Chef TJ is there in September when we eat at 'Ohana again.

Even though I am not a vegan and believe PETA means People eating Tasty Animals, LOL..J/K.
That salAd wrap and soup(Oh who am I kidding?) that entire meal looks AWESOME!!
I wonder if I brought pics I could just request that entire meal?

Chef TJ is fantastic! Your dessert looks amazing. :love:

I'm a vegetarian and I got the pitta chips/houmous and the tempura/tofu tower back in September. It was sooo good! I really hope Chef TJ is there in September when we eat at 'Ohana again.

I hope so, too! This was such an awesome meal, and Chef TJ is such an amazing man.

I love to see the chefs flex their skills- great review and pictures!

I do, too! I wish all of them enjoyed doing it as much as Chef TJ does. :lovestruc

Today was Magic Kingdom Day + the D23 First Anniversary Party. As was the norm on this trip, we were late arriving at the TTC. We had to wait on a few monorails, because they were only putting people in the last three compartments in order for the guests at the resorts to have room. Normally, I would have taken the ferry. But since it was freezing, and I was sick, we stuck it out longer for the monorail. Unfortuntately, we had to sacrifice our comfort and personal space for the warmth. They literally had us packed in like sardines, and we were stopping to pick up more. (What can I say? I love Weird Al. :lmao:)

After the incredibly unformfortable monorail trip, we made it to the Magic Kingdom. We didn't make it in time for rope drop, and we still had to get a locker and pick up our D23 stuff.

D23CheckIn.jpg

When we checked in, we had to sign a form to say that we had picked up everything and then we had to sign a release form for photo/video taken by Disney during the event.

Included in our packet: Complimentary 1-day theme park ticket, event credentials, itenerary, and a voucher to recieve our free gift at the event.

After putting everything in our locker, we headed to Space Mountain for Fastpasses. Then we rode Buzz, Pirates, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain. Then we went to check out what the day's Jack Sparrow looked like :lovestruc But he was orange. A good actor, but very, very orange. :rolleyes:

After that, we rode Haunted Mansion and then got in line to meet Princess Tiana! I was SO excited! She's one of my new favorite princesses, since she wants to open a restaurant. Just like me! Prince Naveen was very handsome and charming, and Princess Tiana was seriously so beautiful she looked like a cartoon character. Aladdin and Jasmine had apparantly played a prank on them, leaving a note in the gazeebo that said, "Magic Carpets are more fun than Riverboats! - Love, Aladdin and Jasmine". It was pretty funny :)

After that, and for the first time on this trip, we headed to the Crystal Palace early. We checked in ten minutes early, and recieved our pager.

DDP3-1.jpg

Last time we didn't get a pager. They just had someone yelling for each party when it was their time. Did they have pagers before, and we just went on a day they weren't using them? Either way, I like the pager system much better :thumbsup2

DDP3-13.jpg

DDP3-12.jpg

DDP3-11.jpg

DDP3-10.jpg

We were seated right on time, only a few seats away from where me and Jon sat last May. Our server took our drink orders

DDP3-8.jpg

I got the raspberry lemonade, and my sister got orange juice and water.

After that, the chef came out to tell us what we could have. It was all the same as last year, so nothing new.

My sister got all the same stuff I did, so I'm just going to post my plates.

DDP3-2.jpg

Plate #1: Edamame salad, Cucumber Salad with Ginger, Moroccan Couscous and Parsley salad, plus some lettuce with oil and vinegar.

My cold plate, apparantly. Lots of salads. Everything was a little more flavorful than I remember it being, so I enjoyed it all.

DDP3-3.jpg

Plate #2: Broccoli with Puri Puri and Key Lime Ponzu (does anyone know what that is?), Curry Vegetables with Rice Noodles, Cinnamon and Lemon Infused Basmati Rice, Ratatouille, and Vegetable Medley with Arugula Oil.

My warm plate! :goodvibes Broccoli was good, curried noodles were AWESOMELY spicy, ratatouille was good, vegetables were a little plain.

DDP3-9.jpg

Plate #3: More noodles, more coucous, and a pickle spear.

The noodles weren't as spicy as the batch I had before that, so I was disappointed. They still tasted good, they just weren't spicy like I was hoping for. The couscous was awesome. I didn't finish the pickle spear. I just wanted a few bites because I needed something tangy :)

At the end of our meal, the chef mentioned that there was some kind of brownie he could get for us. I can't remember what he said about it, something about no eggs or gluten or something like that. While I would have loved a brownie, I was a little iffy on the chef's knowledge of the product, so I declined. Maybe we can look into that more on our next trip.

And, just because there's no way to do a Crystal Palace review without mentioning the characters, here's me and my sister with Piglet:

DDP3-7.jpg

I don't look too sick, do I? :sick:

DDP3-6.jpg

All the characters made it to us within the 1.25 hours we were there, including Eeyore a second time. It was fun, but Jon and I won't be going back on our trip in May. I still like Crystal Palace, but I would much rather try something new instead of going back for the same old, same old.

Coming Up: The Diamond Horseshoe and D23 party

So, I have been lurking your reviews for a while and just got an account because I figure I need to thank you for posting such awesome reviews!
I just went vegan in January and was worried about my disney birthuation (birthday/graduation :lmao:) trip in June. Your reviews assured me that the Disney magic works with vegans too!
I just convinced my mom to let me make ADRs at Ohana, Tusker House and the Prime Time Cafe. So excited!

BTW, we wanted Ohana for the night we got there, but they only have it at 9.00 and I was wondering if you think that if I keep checking that it will show up if someone cancelled or something?

Thanks for all you helpful reviews! I love the pictures (these last Ohana ones sold me)

I am a dairy free vegetarian. Not all the way vegan but on my way. The brownie was HUGE and dairy free/gluten free. I am not sure about eggs. It wasn't a prepackaged brownie. It was a giant triangle slice treat.

I also really enjoyed Crystal Palace for dinner. I was shocked how much tasty food there was for me to eat.

My sister and I :love: this thread! It's one of my favorites on the Disboards. We're vegetarian, and we always find so many delicious options at WDW. We love Boma (and loved the pictures you posted ... they hold us over until our own trip soon!). Boma's white bean hummus needs its own special day ... and to celebrate it, I'll make sure the hummus is guest of honor in my stomach. :worship:

I wanted to know if your vegan entries at 'Ohana are really ginger-y? I know you mentioned the broth, but what about the other things? Is anything smoky? Those are two flavors I really don't like, but the food looks so great, I want to try it next time!

Can't wait to hear about the d23 party!

It's not going to be as awesome as it sounds! :laughing:

So, I have been lurking your reviews for a while and just got an account because I figure I need to thank you for posting such awesome reviews!
I just went vegan in January and was worried about my disney birthuation (birthday/graduation :lmao:) trip in June. Your reviews assured me that the Disney magic works with vegans too!
I just convinced my mom to let me make ADRs at Ohana, Tusker House and the Prime Time Cafe. So excited!

BTW, we wanted Ohana for the night we got there, but they only have it at 9.00 and I was wondering if you think that if I keep checking that it will show up if someone cancelled or something?

Thanks for all you helpful reviews! I love the pictures (these last Ohana ones sold me)

Disney definitely works well with vegans! It's one of the main reasons I love vacationing there. It's so easy to eat out.

You've picked some good places! Definitely call back/check online and try for an earlier ADR, but don't worry if it doesn't happen. The past two times we ate there, our ADRs were right around 9:00, and we've had good experiences both times. And if Wishes is at 10:00 that night, you'll get to see the show outside the window!

I am a dairy free vegetarian. Not all the way vegan but on my way. The brownie was HUGE and dairy free/gluten free. I am not sure about eggs. It wasn't a prepackaged brownie. It was a giant triangle slice treat.

I also really enjoyed Crystal Palace for dinner. I was shocked how much tasty food there was for me to eat.

Well, now I'm kicking myself for not inquiring about that brownie some more! I still think it's too good to be true for Disney to have a vegan brownie available, but it would be so awesome if it was.

My sister and I :love: this thread! It's one of my favorites on the Disboards. We're vegetarian, and we always find so many delicious options at WDW. We love Boma (and loved the pictures you posted ... they hold us over until our own trip soon!). Boma's white bean hummus needs its own special day ... and to celebrate it, I'll make sure the hummus is guest of honor in my stomach. :worship:

I wanted to know if your vegan entries at 'Ohana are really ginger-y? I know you mentioned the broth, but what about the other things? Is anything smoky? Those are two flavors I really don't like, but the food looks so great, I want to try it next time!

Yay! I'm so glad you like them :goodvibes It's too bad all the hummus at Boma had cheese in it this last time we went. I don't know why they put cheese in their hummus, but at least there's plenty more to eat!

I don't recall any intense ginger flavors other than the broth for the soup. And nothing had a smoky flavor, as far as my taste buds were concerned. Very savory, but not smoky.

After lunch, we got got FPs for Peter Pan, used our Space Mountain FPs, rode the TTA, rode Carousel of Progress, watched the beginning of the parade so my sister could see the Muppets, watched the Country Bear Jamboree, and got a quick snack at a snack cart in Adventureland:

DDP3-14.jpg

DDP3-15.jpg

I got a strawberry bar, my sister got a frozen lemonade.

After this, we did some shopping, used our Peter Pan FPs, and then went to get in line for dinner. Well, to be quite honest, I didn't know there was actually going to be a line. But there was.

DDP3-16.jpg

This is coming from the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon, going through the bathroom area leading into Adventureland, and going down the wall a bit.

Something funny did happen here, though. We were basically next to last getting in line, and then a mom and her 2 daughters walk by. The mom says to her daughters, "Here, stand in line and I'll go see what it's for." :lmao: Who does that?!

Anyway.. We eventually made it up to the entrance:

DDP3-17.jpg

We were instructed that it would be best to find a place to sit before heading to the buffet. Easier said than done, considering all the people that got inside before us. I just couldn't believe they weren't sitting people in order to make room for everyone. It was a madhouse inside :scared1:

DDP3-18.jpg

We eventually settled for two seats upstairs, near the far right side of the stage.

DDP3-31.jpg

Needless to say, we didn't have a very good view of the screen. But we couldn't do anything at that point. So I went downstairs to try to find out what we were supposed to be eating. I had contacted the D23 staff right after we bought our tickets, and they assured me there would be something available for us. This is the reply I recieved to my e-mail:

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for your letter.

We have gone ahead and contacted the Walt Disney World resort and
alerted them about your dietary restrictions. They have confirmed that
they will be able to accommodate your requests. Please alert the D23
staff upon check-in to make sure you receive the appropriate meal.

Considering we didn't really have a "check-in", I attempted to do what I was supposed to. In the sea of hungry Disney fans, I tried to find a D23 staff member to help me.

First I saw a soup station that had minestrone soup. I asked the man serving it if there was any kind of beef or chicken broth, and he said the soup was completely vegetarian.

DDP3-21.jpg

They also had some kind of chowder + chicken, shrimp, and croutons that could be added to either soup. But he assured me the minestrone was fine. so I got a bowl of that.

I found a woman near the buffet area, and I asked her if she knew what was vegan on the buffet. She wasn't sure, and went to go ask a chef. I stayed where I was for a good 5 minutes, while watching everyone else pile food on their plates.

When the lady came back, she started saying that I could have the mashed potaotes and the polenta (wait, what?), and I stopped her, asking if the chef knew what vegan meant? I explained to her that I didn't eat eggs, dairy, meat, fish, etc..

DDP3-23.jpg

^Can't eat this!

She said that I should have e-mailed the staff when I ordered my tickets to explain my situation, and I told her that I had and that they assured me there would be something available. She said, "Oh," and, once again, went to talk to a chef.

DDP3-24.jpg

(This is where I was awkwardly standing the whole time. Very uncomfortable spot, with all the people crammed in there, trying to get by me.)

Another 5 minutes go by, the presentation had already started, and I was getting kind of annoyed watching everyone else eating and enjoying the speeches. Eventually the woman came back out with a chef and he explained that I could have the minestrone soup (which I had already picked up), the sauteed greens, and the fire roasted corn + various beans.

DDP3-22.jpg

After looking at the buffet all this time, I had figured these would be the only things we could eat. He asked where we were sitting, and I pointed to where my sister was upstairs. He said he would cook some tofu and bring it up to us for our entree. I thanked him, and then my sister came down and we got plates of the greens and the corn/beans to take back upstairs.

DDP3-30.jpg

At eat place setting, there was a glass of lukewarm water, watered down lemonade, and at some point, some guy came around and gave us all champagne for a toast. :eek: I could have been under 21 for all he knew! I couldn't believe they just poured me a glass of champagne. I don't drink, but I did take a sip and nearly gagged. So gross.

DDP3-27.jpg

This is the plate I got from the buffet. It had the sauteed greens (which also had red and yellow bell peppers), the fire-roasted corn with red, black, and white beans, and the minestrone soup.

After all that hassle, I sure was hoping the food would be good. And it definitely was. Everything was really tasty and very hearty. But I don't think it was worth all the trouble, or the price.

After about five minutes, the chef came upstairs bringing two plates of food for us:

DDP3-28.jpg

Mine.

DDP3-29.jpg

My sister's.

On these plates was what we had already picked up from the buffet, plus red quinoa, white rice, and some seared tofu with an olive/red pepper relish.

The beans were really good mixed with the rice. The quinoa was really plain. I don't think they even added any salt. The tofu was just seared tofu. It was nicely seasoned, but it was still just seared tofu.

I appreciated the gesture, but I could have done without the grains and the tofu.

And I don't think you can tell how incredibly small the space each person had was in these pictures. Everyone sitting upstairs was literally bumping elbows with the person next to them as they ate. It was really difficult to find room for all those glasses, plus the two plates each that me and my sister had. Really uncomfortable.

Oh, and also: At some point, when I was talking to the chef and the lady, the chef mentioned that somone had come in at the previous dinner seating, asking for a vegetarian meal and that they had thought that was what the special request was for. Nevermind that I had mentioned in my letter that we were going to be at the second dinner seating and that we were vegan. :rolleyes: I wonder if they got a better meal than us, considering they thought that was the special request for the night.

They also had this little salad section set up, but I never made it over there:

DDP3-41.jpg

DDP3-42.jpg

It looked kind of pitiful, to be honest.. :laughing:

The best part about the meal, by far, was the guy playing the piano on stage:

DDP3-19.jpg

He played this amazing, 10-minute long montage of classic Disney songs and, I swear, I thought it was a recording until someone said to give him a round of applause at the end. It was amazing!

And that concludes my experience at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon D23 Dinner. Not a very good one. But at least the outside of the restaurant is pretty:

DDP3-43.jpg

DDP3-44.jpg

DDP3-45.jpg

Coming Up: D23 Fantasyland Dessert Party

I've never heard of Diamond Horseshoe Saloon... weird. It's a bummer about your food experience there. At least most of it tasted good!

Also, I never commented on your Ohana review. All I have to say is YUM!

I'm sorry your experience at the Diamond Horseshoe was less than magical. :sad2: To be honest, that's actually what happened almost our entire trip at Disney in November. We filled out the dietary request form, got that same response in the e-mail. When we got to each restaurant they were never informed we would be there.
Most of our meals were really great and I was happy with them, but I can't help but think of what we could have had if they actually knew we were coming.
Thanks for the picture of the red quinoa - my mother loves it and talks about having it all the time but I had no idea what it looked like! I <3 frozen strawberry bars, they are sooo good. Any kind of fruit bar, I am all over.
Excellent review once again! :woohoo:

I've never heard of Diamond Horseshoe Saloon... weird. It's a bummer about your food experience there. At least most of it tasted good!

Also, I never commented on your Ohana review. All I have to say is YUM!

It's in Frontierland. It's hardly ever open anymore, which is why I was excited to go inside. They used to have a dinner show, but I think it closed because it was too expensive to run or something. They usually open it back up during peak times of the year and, from what I've read, serve the same food as Liberty Tree Tavern.

Yeah, the food was definitely good. It was just too much of a hassle, and I didn't really get to enjoy any of it.

I'm sorry your experience at the Diamond Horseshoe was less than magical. :sad2: To be honest, that's actually what happened almost our entire trip at Disney in November. We filled out the dietary request form, got that same response in the e-mail. When we got to each restaurant they were never informed we would be there.
Most of our meals were really great and I was happy with them, but I can't help but think of what we could have had if they actually knew we were coming.
Thanks for the picture of the red quinoa - my mother loves it and talks about having it all the time but I had no idea what it looked like! I <3 frozen strawberry bars, they are sooo good. Any kind of fruit bar, I am all over.
Excellent review once again! :woohoo:

It makes me wonder if the dietary request form is even sent to any of the restaurants. It doesn't seem like it's done anything for anyone out of everything I've read.

I *love* quinoa! I had never had red quinoa before this trip. I'll have to try making it at home sometime soon. It's really pretty. haha.

And I agree about fruit bars! I'm not a big dessert person, but I love sorbet and whole fruit popsicles.

Thanks for all the info and the great pictures! I'm sorry for the trouble with that one meal and that you were not well. When we went in Oct '08, we let the Chrystal Palace know of my daughter's milk allergy and they were very accomodating. It's good to see all of those options as although we are not vegan or vegetarians, we are trying to eat less animal products in general. I was kind of concerned for our next trip that it would be fried chicken overload. It's also one of the reasons we don't do the meal plan as we don't want to kids to OD on the kid's meals. Thanks again for all of this!
Jessica

more comments later...but just a quick one to start.

that brownie you are talking about definitely has eggs in it. It was offered to us too and the chef (at restaurantosaurus) let us look at the ingredients....eggs for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter