Two Home Resorts, Different Use Years - is it a big deal?

EllieBride

DIS Veteran
We've been in the market for a second contract and I'm debating how important (or not) it is that they have the same UY. As I think about how I will use the points, I tend to view the contracts very separately. I will use Contract #1 and will bank/borrow as needed in order to maximize the 11-month booking advantage. Also, Contract #1 has an early expiration date (BCV). I'll use Contract #2 as it's own "pot of points." So far, I haven't visualized a scenario where I would ever want to merge the points together for one trip. We will be alternating trips each year at the two resorts.

I feel like I've read a lot of posts that say you should buy the same UY, buy has anyone had good success buying different UYs? We just haven't been able to find/get what we want with the UY we already have. Thanks, everyone!

Unless you have a good reason, why have two or more separate memberships? You will have twice the work to maintain, you will get separate billings, mailings, and you need to keep track of the separate dates.

Yes we have more than one UY because I didn't know any better at the time and the broker didn't provide us with correct info when we bought contract.

:earsboy: Bill

If you plan to use the contracts separately, different use years are no big deal and could be a benefit if you travel at different times of the year.

But if you try to use them together, be careful to stay on top of the planning.

We've been in the market for a second contract and I'm debating how important (or not) it is that they have the same UY. As I think about how I will use the points, I tend to view the contracts very separately. I will use Contract #1 and will bank/borrow as needed in order to maximize the 11-month booking advantage. Also, Contract #1 has an early expiration date (BCV). I'll use Contract #2 as it's own "pot of points." So far, I haven't visualized a scenario where I would ever want to merge the points together for one trip. We will be alternating trips each year at the two resorts.

I feel like I've read a lot of posts that say you should buy the same UY, buy has anyone had good success buying different UYs? We just haven't been able to find/get what we want with the UY we already have. Thanks, everyone!

For what you are describing having 2 separate UY's is not going to be all that difficult to manage. We have had 2 for several years although I do fairly frequently book from both for a stay but even that is not terrible. Easiest of course is a single UY but if you are looking at their use separately that's about as easy as having 2 UY's will get.

Thanks for the insights. The more I think about it, the less it seems like it will be a problem. I think I'm going to go for it! As for keeping track of two different banking deadlines... I use calendar reminders for everything already, so that part doesn't worry me. It's just the unknown of whether I would ever want to pool them for some reason at some point (not likely, and if I did, it would be the exception, not the rule). It's good to know that it's not impossible.

Thanks for the insights. The more I think about it, the less it seems like it will be a problem. I think I'm going to go for it! As for keeping track of two different banking deadlines... I use calendar reminders for everything already, so that part doesn't worry me. It's just the unknown of whether I would ever want to pool them for some reason at some point (not likely, and if I did, it would be the exception, not the rule). It's good to know that it's not impossible.

I guess one question is which UY is best for your vacation dates? Is your current UY the best or do you need to change it?

I agree with Bill. Why have two Use Years if you don't need them?

The situation where you would need them is if you vacationed at two different times of the year, and a different UY might help.

Frankly...personally, I think UY is a little over-emphasized here of the DIS because people who really understand the DVC system tend to focus on minutiae. With three families who vacationed mostly during the summer due to school schedules, we used an OCTOBER UY (hardly ideal!) successfully for six years without losing a single point.

To me, UY is just something you manage; but managing one UY is much easier than managing two.

I have contracts at AKV and HHI, both with a June UY. We always use them separately though. I am thinking about selling my HHI contracts to change to an April UY because we are thinking we may want to travel there in the spring too (in addition to summer and fall). I doubt I will ever travel to HHI December-March. But I will need to keep my AKV contract with the June UY because we never travel to WDW in the spring. Our trips there are summer, fall, and January at the latest (never February-May). I plan on using them separately just as I do now, just to get the 11-month priority booking.

IMO it depends. For different home resorts or different and specific travel plans, it makes sense for some. Basically if both contracts are of reasonable size and where each UY matches travel plans for each home resort. It does not make sense for smaller contracts or because that's the UY that came available. An exception might be for difficult to find home resorts.

I agree with Bill. Why have two Use Years if you don't need them?

The situation where you would need them is if you vacationed at two different times of the year, and a different UY might help.

Frankly...personally, I think UY is a little over-emphasized here of the DIS because people who really understand the DVC system tend to focus on minutiae. With three families who vacationed mostly during the summer due to school schedules, we used an OCTOBER UY (hardly ideal!) successfully for six years without losing a single point.

To me, UY is just something you manage; but managing one UY is much easier than managing two.

Most of the advice here on the DIS is over-emphasized either because someone wants to "win" and get people to agree with them or because the issue being discussed has had an impact on the person who is over-emphasizing.

In our case the "correct" UY allowed us to cancel and bank our points when DW's Mother passed and another time when DW's job forced her to cancel her vacation and move to another city to keep her job.

Having two UY's causes us more work, more to keep track of and for us is of no benefit. I forgot to bank before our deadline our less popular UY and was forced to modify our vacation plans to save the points.

Yes some people don't see a benefit to the "best" UY and people do have more than one UY and manage them without issue but all it takes is one time. one issue for them to maybe feel differently.

If there isn't any benefit to the contrary, why would we suggest to the DIS readers not to buy the best UY or to buy multiple UY's. If there is a benefit for the buyer than that's a different story.

The UY we currently have is April. We are about to take our third trip on points and so far, they've all been fall trips. This will all change once our kids start school in a couple more years, when we'll switch to summer. Fast forward another 15 years, I imagine my husband and I will go in Feb, May, Oct. I can't say that I've ever even thought about the April UY in relation to when we travel. The only time it's crossed my mind is when the banking deadline comes up in November.

I don't have any complaints about the April UY, other than not being able to find the right match for what we're looking for.

Full disclosure: we are the second name on the much-discussed and much-disputed direct purchase waiting list for VGF. I verified yesterday that the other direct purchases we've heard about recently were for other UYs. The person ahead of me on the waitlist is also waiting for April UY. I've been waiting 4.5 months and was close to the top of the list when I was added, so I have to believe the April UY is a big part of the holdup. I haven't completely ruled out resale, but direct is still our first choice and there isn't an April UY of the size that we wanted anyway (that isn't totally stripped). I really wanted to have the points in hand to book a Fall 2016 trip, so the clock is ticking!

The UY we currently have is April. We are about to take our third trip on points and so far, they've all been fall trips. This will all change once our kids start school in a couple more years, when we'll switch to summer. Fast forward another 15 years, I imagine my husband and I will go in Feb, May, Oct. I can't say that I've ever even thought about the April UY in relation to when we travel. The only time it's crossed my mind is when the banking deadline comes up in November.

I don't have any complaints about the April UY, other than not being able to find the right match for what we're looking for.

Full disclosure: we are the second name on the much-discussed and much-disputed direct purchase waiting list for VGF. I verified yesterday that the other direct purchases we've heard about recently were for other UYs. The person ahead of me on the waitlist is also waiting for April UY. I've been waiting 4.5 months and was close to the top of the list when I was added, so I have to believe the April UY is a big part of the holdup. I haven't completely ruled out resale, but direct is still our first choice and there isn't an April UY of the size that we wanted anyway (that isn't totally stripped). I really wanted to have the points in hand to book a Fall 2016 trip, so the clock is ticking!
I wouldn't let trying to get that one trip cause you to make a less than great decision otherwise.

We just purchased our first contract at the beginning of the summer and are waiting to close on a second contract. One is SSR with an April UY and one is BCV with a Sept UY. I am going to treat them as they are...2 contracts for different trips. We like to travel in May/June for Star Wars weekend and a beach trip then we like to take a 10-14 day trip sometime between Sept and early Dec.
We like to do the F&W festival or Christmas around the world/Osborne Lights so we wanted to make sure we had that 11 month window at BCV for those trips. When we go in the spring for SWW, we like to try to different resorts so figured we would get cheaper (we bought both resale) SSR points and stay wherever there was availability at the 7 month mark.

All that said, I don't plan on combining them for a trip either. I figure if anything what I would do is book BCV with BCV points at 11 months then do a split stay and use my cheaper SSR points for the rest of the trip and if I have any leftover BCV points I can rent them out.

If I understand your post correctly, you are '2nd' on the VGF direct purchase wait list and you've read that others have been able to purchase but they have different use years. You think since the person ahead of you on the list also wants April you'd have a better chance if you chose a different use year month? Will they even let you make that change and maintain your 'place' on the list? Even assuming you can do this, I'm not sure your wait will end. I'd make alternate plans for the fall 2016 trip if you get to the 11 month window w/out new contract in hand.
When I bought my resale contract I knew I'd be adding on in the future, so I looked at which use year months had a lot of points figuring they'd be most likely to have more resales going forward, and from those couple of months I went for the month that fit best w/ our typical travel dates.

Last edited:

With this being the case and reason I'd just continue to wait and keep an eye on resales too.

For what you are describing having 2 separate UY's is not going to be all that difficult to manage. We have had 2 for several years although I do fairly frequently book from both for a stay but even that is not terrible. Easiest of course is a single UY but if you are looking at their use separately that's about as easy as having 2 UY's will get.
Do you normally book split stays with the 2 separate UY's? Do you ever book one reservation from both UY's?

Do you normally book split stays with the 2 separate UY's? Do you ever book one reservation from both UY's?

Normal would be booking from one UY but I still fairly frequently book a single stay from both and have the reservations linked. If booking a split stay I can't really say how often it's using points from each UY but probably also fairly frequently. But because it's a split stay and thus each reservations is independent of the other that is not at all noticeable unless cancellation comes into play.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter