• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two Germans Dine Deluxe Again ... (FINISHED!)

I'm really enjoying your reviews. I love those onion rolls they serve at the Yachtsman, I could probably just have a basket of those for dinner and be happy!

Oh, and I don't really get the whole deconstructed salad thing either, I'd also prefer it to be chopped before serving.

First let me say, I now HAVE to go on a Disney cruise!:goodvibes

I agree with you on the whole "skin-on" french fry and mashed potato thing. There is an phenomenal burger spot called Five Guys Burgers and Fries, that does the fries that very way. My whole family loves this place. I mean it has THE BEST burgers in the whole world (imo), and the fries too! I've been to one in Miami, perhaps there's one around Orlando.
(found one! 4969 International Drive)

Also, btw...loving your reviews! This one actually inspired me to read your last reviews also. SO HUNGRY :rotfl:

Deluxe dining and Douglas Adams references, I am so in for this one!

I especially wonder what that is on the butter and olive oil – should have been sea salt, but it’s red?? I don’t actually have a clue – back to dining reporters' academy … :confused3

It is a particular type of sea salt that naturally has a rose color to it. Hawaiian maybe?

The Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella with Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic, Warm Focaccia, and Aged Balsamico.
These tomatoes were a bit better than those I had on the ship, but still lacking in taste. Is this a universal phenomenon – do you Americans also have tomatoes that look glorious and evoke memories of wonderful taste experiences, but once you actually eat them they are just bland and watery? If so, welcome to my world. :sad2:

Sadly, yes. I think that's probably the norm through most of the developed world, and is a direct consequence of breeding vegetables for traits other than taste (most often long shelf-life and ease of mechanical harvest). There are a few places at Disney that serve heirloom tomatoes - that's where you find lovely, rich tomato flavor instead of those bland imposters.

I am loving this thread; it is sooo well done! Your descriptions and pictures are amazing, and your command of English grammar is incredible. Thanks so much for taking the time to post all that you do; I'm looking forward to the rest!

I really needed your reviews tonight to take me to another place and lessen my anxiety over tomorrow.
(Daughter's surgery)Thank you so much!! Just one more day before I can make my ADR's for October.

We are eating at the Yachtsman on our trip and I am set on the filet, it looks heavenly!! And I'm with you on the mashed potatoes, love them!

Great review of Yachtsman Steakhouse :thumbsup2
We will be eating dinner there for the first time in May and DH (who loves steak) is really looking forward to it :goodvibes
As I don't eat meat I think I deserve at least two of those Jamaican Coffees :laughing:

When I saw that you posted a Yachtman's Steakhouse review I was rather anxious that I would be very sad that we crossed that restaurant from our ADR list for the October trip... But while your review was absolutely wonderful, it really did confirm our decision: It looks like a great place, but other places are more exciting for me. :goodvibes

I think this serving the whole leaves is supposed to be a very artistic presentation. I think I would be very tempted to ask wether it would be possible to get it served chopped up and tossed... I normally love it that in the US salads tend to be served tossed, not like here where they tend to just pour over the dressing. :confused3 And the large crouton - that happened to me in France as well once.

Sorry about the tasteless tomatoes - but what are these transparent thingies on tomato and cheese? The look like fish eggs!! :scared1:

You're right about the salads, they do tend to just pour the dressing over it and leave the tossing to you here in Germany. Not easily done when the plate is full.

And about those thingies on top of the tomato salad - wow, I never even thought about that! (Maybe because I wouldn't mind if they are fish eggs, like fish eggs. Even though I agree that they are absolutely out of place on an insalata caprese. But these didn't taste like fish eggs, I just don't remember them tasting like anything at all! Some fusion cuisine thing, maybe?)

Thanks for your Yachtsman review. We've been there a few times before and weren't crazy about it, but we decided to give it another chance next month. We're still going to go, but I hope the non-steak items will be okay!

Not sure about the non-steak items, never tried them (and they don't have tham many either). I just reread the menu and have to say that the rack of lamb sounds very nice too though.

I'm really enjoying your reviews. I love those onion rolls they serve at the Yachtsman, I could probably just have a basket of those for dinner and be happy!

Oh, and I don't really get the whole deconstructed salad thing either, I'd also prefer it to be chopped before serving.

"Deconstructed salad" is a great term for it, just what I meant to say but never could have phrased right :thumbsup2

First let me say, I now HAVE to go on a Disney cruise!:goodvibes

I agree with you on the whole "skin-on" french fry and mashed potato thing. There is an phenomenal burger spot called Five Guys Burgers and Fries, that does the fries that very way. My whole family loves this place. I mean it has THE BEST burgers in the whole world (imo), and the fries too! I've been to one in Miami, perhaps there's one around Orlando.
(found one! 4969 International Drive)

Also, btw...loving your reviews! This one actually inspired me to read your last reviews also. SO HUNGRY :rotfl:

Yes, do go on a Disney cruise, I'm sure you won't regret it! And thank you for telling me about that Five Guys place in Orlando, we will have to check that out next time! (Which coincides well with the fact that we won't be on the Dining Plan next time ;).)

Deluxe dining and Douglas Adams references, I am so in for this one!

It is a particular type of sea salt that naturally has a rose color to it. Hawaiian maybe?

Sadly, yes. I think that's probably the norm through most of the developed world, and is a direct consequence of breeding vegetables for traits other than taste (most often long shelf-life and ease of mechanical harvest). There are a few places at Disney that serve heirloom tomatoes - that's where you find lovely, rich tomato flavor instead of those bland imposters.

Hawaiian sea salt sounds about right, at least it does sound familiar so that's what the server may have introduced it as. And now that you mention heirloom tomatoes, I had them on some dish (haven't found out which yet, but will certainly find out once I get there in my report). They were very nice and I have been meaning to look up "heirloom tomatoes" ever since as I couldn't make anything of that name. So, that's what I love about the DIS, learning new things all the time! :banana:

I am loving this thread; it is sooo well done! Your descriptions and pictures are amazing, and your command of English grammar is incredible. Thanks so much for taking the time to post all that you do; I'm looking forward to the rest!

Thank you very much, I am not sure if I will be able to keep up the current pace at keeping the instalments coming, but it is definitely a lot of fun - especially because of all of your nice comments!

I really needed your reviews tonight to take me to another place and lessen my anxiety over tomorrow.
(Daughter's surgery)Thank you so much!! Just one more day before I can make my ADR's for October.

You are so welcome! I am keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter to make a full and speedy recovery from surgery. :flower3:
Also, have fun making those ADR's!

We are eating at the Yachtsman on our trip and I am set on the filet, it looks heavenly!! And I'm with you on the mashed potatoes, love them!

I wish I had a big serving of those right now :lovestruc ...

Great review of Yachtsman Steakhouse :thumbsup2
We will be eating dinner there for the first time in May and DH (who loves steak) is really looking forward to it :goodvibes
As I don't eat meat I think I deserve at least two of those Jamaican Coffees :laughing:

Good on you for going to a steakhouse with your husband if you're a vegetarian - that sounds like true love to me :thumbsup2. Enjoy those Irish coffees! :rolleyes1

Let me start by saying that as this was only our second visit to WDW together, breakfast at The Crystal Palace is a time-honoured tradition mainly in the sense that we honoured it one time, and then again a second time.
However, both times we ate here was the first full day of a WDW trip, and I would love to keep this as a tradition (I am sure many others do the same too):
Properly start our Disney trip with a Crystal Palace breakfast scheduled before official park opening so we get to walk along a near-empty Main Street, U.S.A. in the cool morning air, taking uncrowded castle pictures, and then turning left towards that pretty Crystal Palace building, to have a nice bite to eat and renew our acquaintances with Pooh and his gang. A wonderful leisurely way to start a usually not-so-leisurely vacation.
(The only downside being that you have to get up so shockingly early to trek over to the MK in time, of course … :scared1:)

Through countless visits and revisits to the Disney Dining reservation web site, I had managed to score us an 8.05 ADR – the place was still almost empty when we were let inside:

P1040587.jpg

This happy bouncy guy was already there, though:

P1040588.jpg

As is always the case with character meals, we rushed off to the buffet to get us some warm breakfast quickly, to be back in time for Pooh and the gang to arrive.

P1040589.jpg

The pastry in front by the way, a cinnamon Danish (or was it?) was wonderful, a bit too sweet yet otherwise just to my taste. I don’t know why I never tried one of those before … It was love at first bite!

We did not have to wait long for our first "guest" to arrive (but hadn’t I met him already at the entrance …?):

P1040597.jpg

The others arrived to visit us as well in short order, while we were working on our fresh fruit intake:

P1040599.jpg

Some for DH …

P1040600.jpg

And another cinnamon Danish for me :love:;).

To sum up, the food here is nice, with lots of fresh fruit and a nice variety, but coming here is not really that much about the food for us.
Like I said before – the tradition, the early morning, the whole day at the Magic Kingdom still ahead of us … Love it.
This is why we didn’t dally long, but were quickly on our way out onto Main Street again – definitely to return on the first morning of our next trip, if possible.

Coming up next: Lunch at Tony’s Town Square!

And now that you mention heirloom tomatoes, I had them on some dish (haven't found out which yet, but will certainly find out once I get there in my report). They were very nice and I have been meaning to look up "heirloom tomatoes" ever since as I couldn't make anything of that name. So, that's what I love about the DIS, learning new things all the time! :banana:

Heirloom is just a catch-all for antique/old-fashioned varieties that predate modern hybrids. There is a huge variety within the "heirloom" umbrella, but because they were bred for taste and to tolerate regional climates they are generally far more flavorful than hybrids bred for high yield, storage life, uniform size/color, or mechanical harvest. I started planting heirlooms in my home gardens a few years back and haven't gone back to store-bought since.

Heirloom is just a catch-all for antique/old-fashioned varieties that predate modern hybrids. There is a huge variety within the "heirloom" umbrella, but because they were bred for taste and to tolerate regional climates they are generally far more flavorful than hybrids bred for high yield, storage life, uniform size/color, or mechanical harvest. I started planting heirlooms in my home gardens a few years back and haven't gone back to store-bought since.

Annichan, I think we have those in Germany more and more as well. The market here sells all kind of types and I think the "Eiertomaten" are a bit in this direction as well. I find that buying tomatos at the market or in the organic food store will get me much better tasting ones. And if you want some old varieties for your garden, you can order them from Manufaktum even: http://www.manufactum.de/Produkt/0/...r-Balkon-und-Garten-.html?suchbegriff=tomaten

Great reviews! We loved Yachtsman Steakhouse as well. And we did Crystal Palace for the first time last November at 8:00 am and it was awesome!! We loved the food and it's so cool to walk down Main Street with almost no one around. :thumbsup2

Loved your review of CP
We have an 8.05 ADR is just a couple of weeks :)
What time do they start letting you into MK? It would be great to get some nice shots of the castle before the crowds arrive

Thanks for taking the time to do a dining review. I really have enjoyed your posts. I've never taken a Disney Cruise, but the food looks great. Looking forward to more of your reviews.

Our lunch stop was a place we had already tried to eat during our last trip, but rather failed :sad2:. I had not been feeling so well that day so I had had to leave right after the appetizer to hurry to our hotel room and lie down.

This was to be our second try having lunch at:

P1040649.jpg

.. the place where people hide behind menus – also known as Tony’s Town Square.

Just like the last time, we decided to sit out on the porch (not a good idea in the afternoon when the sun has come around, but as we were early it was still fully in the shade and pleasantly cool).

Hardly anybody else seems to want to sit out there, as just like last time we were seated immediately even though there was a bit of a line waiting ahead of us. Where I live, people jump at any chance to sit outside at restaurants whenever the weather isn’t totally awful. I do realize that in Florida, things are different and most of the year it is not at all pleasant to sit in the sun – but I still regret that so few WDW restaurants offer the opportunity to sit outside.

This was the view from our table:

P1040643.jpg

And sitting there on the porch like we would do back home, I must have truly forgotten where I was, because when the waitress arrived I happily ordered a light beer to go with my lunch. Whoops!
As soon as she started speaking, I started vigorously nodding along with her words, having realized my blunder. Of course I know that there is no alcohol to be had at the Magic Kingdom! I’m a compulsive overplanner, I know more about WDW than I ever thought possible – but somehow for me, sitting outside in good weather and waiting for your food just goes inseparably hand in hand with a nice cold beer.

(In case anyone didn’t know, by the way: At Disneyland Paris I would have been able to order alcohol, the park was originally dry as well but they had to change that since apparently you cannot separate a Frenchman from his glass of wine for dinner any more than you can a German from his beer. :thumbsup2)

After hastily modifying my drinks order to something more wholesome and Magic Kingdom-compatible, it was time for our appetizers. This was mine:

P1040644.jpg

Toasted Cheese and Garlic Bread - topped with fresh Tomatoes and Basil.

As the picture suggests, this was really rich – a bit much for an appetizer. Could definitely have been heavier on the garlic for me, but for the people surrounding me it was probably best the way it was :).

I believe that DH had the Tomato and Mozzarella Salad (Tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, Basil, and a Balsamic Dressing) as an appetizer, however I am a bit confused by the onion rings on the dish as they are not mentioned in the menu. I don’t really think they have any reason to be on a tomato and mozzarella salad either, but DH quite likes onions so I’m sure he did not mind.

P1040645.jpg

He followed this up with the Chicken Parmigiana, a dish he had already tried and enjoyed at Palo brunch on the Disney Magic.

P1040647.jpg

Chicken Parmigiana: Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast with Marinara Sauce topped with Melted Mozzarella over Spaghetti.

From its mouth-watering description in the menu, I decided to order the Eggplant Catasta: Layers of Eggplant, Caramelized Onions, fresh Mozzarella, and Parmesan with Marinara Sauce over Penne Pasta.
Sounded wonderful.
Unfortunately, what it turned out to be was far from wonderful:

P1040648.jpg

The presentation was lacking (in terms of sloppy) and the penne noodles were a bit overcooked, but the worst thing was the very burnt eggplant which you cannot really see on the picture but which took away a lot from the taste.
I should probably have returned it, but I don’t really like doing that, at least not as long as the overall experience is still good and as long as I don’t end up going hungry :).

The one good think that came from this, however, was that I still had room for dessert!

P1040652.jpg

A nice little portion of Tiramisu: espresso soaked lady fingers, whipped mascarpone and dark chocolate shavings. The nicest thing about it was the cocoa in the shape of Lady and the Tramp, though!
I know this was probably sprinkled on within seconds using some kind of “mould” and was not a major work of art, but I still liked it a lot :lovestruc.

By the way, did any of you know that in the German version of “Lady and the Tramp”, Lady is not called Lady but Susi? I wonder why that is – but it’s cute when the old bloodhound calls for her in his faultering voice: “Miss Suusieee!”.
(And while we’re at it, that bloodhound is not called Trusty but Pluto! :confused3)

P1040641.jpg

“Don’t you dare call me Susi, you tramp!”

Coming up next (and probably my shortest review ever): A few bites to eat at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party!

Thank you, that's interesting! Unfortunately, our little garden is only facing North, so no chance of planting tomatoes there. If ever we move and have a more south-facing garden, though, I shall definitely give it a try and plants lots of things that would only disappoint now.

Annichan, I think we have those in Germany more and more as well. The market here sells all kind of types and I think the "Eiertomaten" are a bit in this direction as well. I find that buying tomatos at the market or in the organic food store will get me much better tasting ones. And if you want some old varieties for your garden, you can order them from Manufaktum even: http://www.manufactum.de/Produkt/0/...r-Balkon-und-Garten-.html?suchbegriff=tomaten

Like I said before, North garden only at this time - but I shall keep the link for later, thank you!

Great reviews! We loved Yachtsman Steakhouse as well. And we did Crystal Palace for the first time last November at 8:00 am and it was awesome!! We loved the food and it's so cool to walk down Main Street with almost no one around. :thumbsup2

Yes, you have to be quick-footed but then it's really possible to get a shot of the castle with NO ONE in it!

Great start!! I loved your 2009 reviews!!

Loved your review of CP
We have an 8.05 ADR is just a couple of weeks :)
What time do they start letting you into MK? It would be great to get some nice shots of the castle before the crowds arrive

I had a look at our pictures, and I took the first one inside the MK (standing next to Tony's) at 7.48 am. There were only maybe 15 to 20 people in the queue ahead of us, so I reckon they must have let us in at about 7.45.

Thanks for taking the time to do a dining review. I really have enjoyed your posts. I've never taken a Disney Cruise, but the food looks great. Looking forward to more of your reviews.

Thank you, I just posted the next one - but you'll probably have seen that already :)!

It may have been rich, but that garlic bread with the tomatoes looks SO yummy!

Really enjoying your reviews! Am so glad that you like seafood, so that I can get my fishy fix vicariously...would KILL for some of that oysters rockefeller right now!

Having a great time reading your reviews! I am a huge fan of Douglas Adams and of home-style french fries (the ones with the skin). 2 things - Five Guys does have THE best french fries so if you have a chance check them out! And the other is that the cinnamon pastry is a cinnamon roll, Main Street Bakery has the yummiest cinnamon rolls :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter