Two Geeks and A 9/16 At-Home Disney-ish Wedding - We're married!

Your tree is so cute! I hope the meeting of the oarents goes well. I know about fathers with idiosyncrasies. We just told my parents that Fran's father was crazy and they let it go with that.

I hope your holiday went well. Ours was uneventful. Just four of us and a lot of food.

Your tree is so cute! I hope the meeting of the oarents goes well. I know about fathers with idiosyncrasies. We just told my parents that Fran's father was crazy and they let it go with that.

I hope your holiday went well. Ours was uneventful. Just four of us and a lot of food.

We told them a couple of things about my dad, but not everything. I'm glad you like our tree! :teeth:

It went pretty well. We spent Christmas Eve at my parents' house, as expected, and he went to work on Christmas Day. My parents drove me home after dinner, since I had too much stuff to take home on the bus. Yay laundry.

The meeting of the parents went pretty well, I think. My mom liked them and they liked her, and I'm not sure about my dad just yet. But it seemed to go well!

Merry Christmas!! Hope your holidays and all meetings went well :)

Thank you! :goodvibes The holidays have been good so far and the meeting went well, as far as we can tell. I hope your first married Christmas was a good one! :yay:

Lovely Christmas tree Dana. It sounds like your holidays went well and now you can say the wedding is next year.:thumbsup2

Phone Calls, Sisters, and OMGYAY

So, in exactly ten weeks, I will be 1100 miles away from DF. While I'm excited about the opportunity to work for Disney again, I'm not at all excited about being away from him for four months. I keep trying to remind myself that it's just four months and, compared to the rest of our lives, it's just a drop in the bucket. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

At any rate, this morning, I got a phone call while he was getting ready for work. I didn't get to it in time, so it went to voice mail.

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

:bride: My dress is in! :bride:

They're able to hold it for 14 days, so that gives me some time to figure out when we're going to pick it up. My parents are most likely going with me. Given my mom's schedule and mine, it's going to be a little difficult finding a day when we can go. I have class Monday through Friday and my longest day at work is Saturday (and right now, I can't take any off). So we're going to figure that out tomorrow. She's out of town for work right now and comes home tomorrow, so we'll get it sorted then.

DF asked if I was going to keep it here or at my parents' house. I'm honestly not sure. I kind of want it here so that he doesn't have to go get it when he's packing up the apartment in July, but apparently he'd be very tempted to peek. Says the man who's still refusing to consider a first look.

Anyway.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my sister about the wedding. My sister is very into punk rock and tattoos and piercings. This doesn't bother me. She typically refuses to dress up. I had told her that her dress was up to her, as long as it was black and at least knee length. She has since asked me if she can wear a Renaissance Faire type dress, because she seems to think that it's a Halloween THEME, not just taking place around Halloween :headache: She doesn't want to spend money on an actual bridesmaid dress, either. I haven't talked to her about this again just yet, but I'm going to. I'm half tempted to just wait until David's Bridal has another of their super cheap dress sales and buy her something, then tell her if she doesn't like it, she can just deal with it. I want her to be happy with what she's wearing, but at the same time, I'd like her to look nice. Not costumey. It's one day. She can wear a nice dress for one day.

Kim and Mike, two of the people in our bridal party, just got engaged on Christmas, and I'm very very happy for them :) They filmed a goofy announcement video and posted it, so if anyone wants to see it, I can link it. I believe they're planning for 2017, and Kim is going to go with me to a local bridal show in March. We think it'll be fun.

Phone Calls, Sisters, and OMGYAY

So, in exactly ten weeks, I will be 1100 miles away from DF. While I'm excited about the opportunity to work for Disney again, I'm not at all excited about being away from him for four months. I keep trying to remind myself that it's just four months and, compared to the rest of our lives, it's just a drop in the bucket. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

At any rate, this morning, I got a phone call while he was getting ready for work. I didn't get to it in time, so it went to voice mail.

:bride: My dress is in! :bride:

They're able to hold it for 14 days, so that gives me some time to figure out when we're going to pick it up. My parents are most likely going with me. Given my mom's schedule and mine, it's going to be a little difficult finding a day when we can go. I have class Monday through Friday and my longest day at work is Saturday (and right now, I can't take any off). So we're going to figure that out tomorrow. She's out of town for work right now and comes home tomorrow, so we'll get it sorted then.

DF asked if I was going to keep it here or at my parents' house. I'm honestly not sure. I kind of want it here so that he doesn't have to go get it when he's packing up the apartment in July, but apparently he'd be very tempted to peek. Says the man who's still refusing to consider a first look.

YAY! Glad the dress is in. I hope it's perfect when you go pick it up!!

Anyway.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to my sister about the wedding. My sister is very into punk rock and tattoos and piercings. This doesn't bother me. She typically refuses to dress up. I had told her that her dress was up to her, as long as it was black and at least knee length. She has since asked me if she can wear a Renaissance Faire type dress, because she seems to think that it's a Halloween THEME, not just taking place around Halloween :headache: She doesn't want to spend money on an actual bridesmaid dress, either. I haven't talked to her about this again just yet, but I'm going to. I'm half tempted to just wait until David's Bridal has another of their super cheap dress sales and buy her something, then tell her if she doesn't like it, she can just deal with it. I want her to be happy with what she's wearing, but at the same time, I'd like her to look nice. Not costumey. It's one day. She can wear a nice dress for one day.

:scared:

Maybe you could get your Mom to talk to her with you.

Kim and Mike, two of the people in our bridal party, just got engaged on Christmas, and I'm very very happy for them :) They filmed a goofy announcement video and posted it, so if anyone wants to see it, I can link it. I believe they're planning for 2017, and Kim is going to go with me to a local bridal show in March. We think it'll be fun.

Congrats to them!

YAY! Glad the dress is in. I hope it's perfect when you go pick it up!!

I hope so, too! I'm sure it'll be gorgeous either way. I'm not planning to have it altered until next year, all things considered.

:scared:

Maybe you could get your Mom to talk to her with you.

I'll see. Becky lives out of state, so unless we Skype with her, it'll be a little difficult to both talk to her at once, considering we all talk over each other all the time.

Congrats to them!

Thanks! I'll pass it along to them :goodvibes

I'm glad that your dress is in and it's smart that you wait to get it altered, you never know which way you will go, and hopefully it will need to come in a bit! I hear that Disney works you hard!

The thing about your sister is kind of a drag. It's YOUR wedding and I think you gave her a lot of leeway, but I think you need to put your foot down and tell her as much as you want her in the wedding, you don't want her to make a mockery of it. An October wedding means Fall, not costumes and outlandish garb. It's your wedding and you should have people participating how you want them to and not them telling you what to do. Let her know that she is important to you, but so is that day and how it will be remembered for years to come. If you're not having a "Ren Faire" wedding then a Ren Faire dress isn't appropriate.

I agree with the others in you should have final approval over the attire in the wedding party. Maybe you can find some samples of what you'd like and show her what you're thinking would look appropriate.

Congrats to your newly engaged friends.

Have fun picking up your dress, that's so exciting.

I'm glad that your dress is in and it's smart that you wait to get it altered, you never know which way you will go, and hopefully it will need to come in a bit! I hear that Disney works you hard!

The thing about your sister is kind of a drag. It's YOUR wedding and I think you gave her a lot of leeway, but I think you need to put your foot down and tell her as much as you want her in the wedding, you don't want her to make a mockery of it. An October wedding means Fall, not costumes and outlandish garb. It's your wedding and you should have people participating how you want them to and not them telling you what to do. Let her know that she is important to you, but so is that day and how it will be remembered for years to come. If you're not having a "Ren Faire" wedding then a Ren Faire dress isn't appropriate.

Me, too :teeth: And yeah, they do work you hard. The last time I was there, I lost something like 40 pounds just because of all the walking (and the lack of groceries).

I want her to feel like herself, but at the same time, it's like "...it's a wedding, it's not a freakin costume party". If she really wants to wear a faire type dress, she can wear it to my bachelorette, since I want to go to MNSSHP for that. She's just very stubborn and NOT a girly girl type. So hopefully I can at least get her into a dress for the day.

I agree with the others in you should have final approval over the attire in the wedding party. Maybe you can find some samples of what you'd like and show her what you're thinking would look appropriate.

Congrats to your newly engaged friends.

Have fun picking up your dress, that's so exciting.

I don't really mind if she picks her own dress, I just want it to be a nice dress, you know? :headache: If I have to, I'll just buy it myself and mail it out to her and tell her to wear it.

I'll pass that along :)

And thanks :teeth: I can't wait to go get it :yay:

Yay for your dress being in!! It's so exciting to know that you have it! Does DF really think he won't be able to resist peeking? Do you dare to take it to FL with you (especially since you'll be living there and all)?

I'm sorry about your sister. Maybe you can shop for a pre-owned dress with her, or help her sell hers afterwards? Maybe if she's not spending as much she won't have a problem with the style as much. Hope she comes around in time :goodvibes

Yay for your dress being in!! It's so exciting to know that you have it! Does DF really think he won't be able to resist peeking? Do you dare to take it to FL with you (especially since you'll be living there and all)?

I'm sorry about your sister. Maybe you can shop for a pre-owned dress with her, or help her sell hers afterwards? Maybe if she's not spending as much she won't have a problem with the style as much. Hope she comes around in time :goodvibes

I think he would be able to resist, but I'm not entirely sure. It's something we'll have to discuss :lmao: I don't think I'll bring it to Florida with me, though. I'm flying down and I think it would take up half my suitcase, and I don't want to ship it. So one way or another, it's staying in Chicago until DF moves down :)

I've been poking around on pre-owned sites and eBay today, looking for dresses in her size. I've found a couple, but I still haven't talked to her about it yet. We both have crazy and very different schedules, so it's hard sometimes to find time to call her. She's also not very big on email or texting.

Dreeeeeeess! (and an update about my sister)

My parents and I drove out to Indiana yesterday to get my dress. My mom really wanted to go and was being sent out of town for work for three weeks today and then with the horrendous weather we had last week and scheduling and cars getting stuck in the snow and me having the flu/bronchitis/the plague, just... Yeah. My dad and I were going to go this coming Friday, since I wasn't supposed to have class (we got rescheduled because of the snow day last Monday, but my chef thinks I'm going to get my dress then :ssst:), but then my mom's work trip got pushed back because of the weather as well, so we went yesterday!

It was basically just a big convergence of crap to cause us to go yesterday. But oh my god it was 55 degrees there and it was so nice to be outside without my coat and NOT FREEZE.

Anyway! Pics!

IMG_3789_zpsa2337df2.jpg

Ignore my goofy expression here. My dad was asking about the pleating on the dress and why it was like that. He thought it was just wrinkled.

IMG_3790_zps231263c9.jpg

The back. I love the way corset backs look (and the fact that they're forgiving :rolleyes1). You can also see one of my tattoos in this one :lmao:

IMG_3788_zps61260e8c.jpg

A detail shot of the bodice, since @PrincessInOz had asked about it when we ordered it. The beading is clear, off-white, and silver.

The dress is currently hanging safely in our living room closet, where it will be out of DF's way. We don't use that closet very often, so he really doesn't have cause to go in there. It's also the only closet the dress would have fit in. It's a wee bit poofy at the bottom. Our bedroom closet is already packed and I didn't want it in the front closet, since that's where shoes get tossed when I get tired of tripping over them. When he packs everything up to move down to Orlando in July, if everything goes according to the current plan, the dress will be going in Beth's car. She offered to drive down with him. If that plan falls through, she's also coming down to Orlando in April for a brief trip, so I may have her bring it down then and just... put it somewhere in CP housing.

I have not yet spoken to my sister about her dress. I did talk to my parents about it while we were at the dress shop, and they both agree with me that she can suck it up and put on a nice dress for one day. It's not like I'm asking her to drop $150 on something she'll wear once. I know perfectly well how much it sucks to spend that kind of money on a dress you're not particularly fond of and will never wear again. So I'm going to talk to her about it, I'm just... not sure when. I don't really like conflict, which is probably one of the reasons I'm very "Yeah, sure, just don't look stupid" about this whole thing. My mom suggested sending her pictures of dresses or links to websites and telling her to send me a picture of anything she likes before she buys it.

We were at Barnes and Noble last month and I saw a book that I want to get for my best friend. It's called The Wedding Officiant's Guide. I know he's capable of public speaking and all (he's in the Chicago Gay Men's Chorus), but I thought it might be helpful. I just keep forgetting to get it when we go there. I saw this salt cellar unity thing on Etsy that I really like, but I need to show it to DF. I tried explaining it to him and got a look of confusion. I don't like the candle (plus, we'll be outdoors) or sand ideas, whereas the salt cellar is not only pretty, but useful! It also has some connotations aside from what's on the Etsy page that I quite like, as a cook.

It feels weird to know that thus far, the only concrete things we have for the wedding are my dress and the fact that it's happening. We still can't talk to Disney, not for another four months. So while I've been building up my wedding binder, we haven't really been looking at making any purchases. We've talked about what we want to do for save the dates (he likes the idea of luggage tags, which I think is too expensive) and invitations (he's thinking about drawing something, which I'm up for), but nothing is set in stone. Everything's waiting on the whole "Well, we can't talk to Disney yet" thing. Which is annoying, but what can you do.

In non-wedding news, I leave for Florida in 55 days. The next day, I'll be checked into housing and hopefully distracting myself so I don't think about the fact that I won't see him for four months. I have my flight, hotel, and a rental car booked. I haven't started packing yet, but I probably will soon. Just things I know I'm not going to use in the next eight weeks (like shorts and tank tops, stupid Chicago winter). He's not really thrilled. I'd pulled my suitcases out of the closet so we could fit my dress in and meant to keep them out, but he put them back in. I asked him to take them back out and he got kind of down. I'm not thrilled about being away from him, either, but we both knew this was what I was aiming for from day one of pastry school. He's asked me to vlog while I'm down there so that he can see what I'm up to, so I actually ordered a new digital camera. My old one is literally about seven years old. It should be arriving tomorrow.

So that's all that's going on right now. Just a lot of very mixed emotions at the moment.

Oh, your dress is so beautiful! The detail on the bodice is stunning. You look fabulous in it! :goodvibes

I see you worked out how to change the thread title. ;)

That dress is stunning on you!!!!! Love it :love:
So glad you had both mom and dad go pick up the dress with you. And I love the bodice. That beading is so elegant and sparkly. Beautiful! Thanks for the picture.

I wish you smooth sailing with your sister. I hope she does remember that it's your wedding and your day. You are entitled to arrange it how you want.

55 days to achieving your dream of working for Disney. Just remember that in 55 days time and for the 4 months after that until DF moves down to be with you. I know it's awful to be apart for the 4 months....but just remember that you've wanted to be working back at Disney in forever!

YAY for getting a new video camera! Wotcha getting??? popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter