• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Two Geeks and A 9/16 At-Home Disney-ish Wedding - We're married!

All caught back up. Glad you have the dress all sorted out. I hope you hear back good news today about your interview!

So can you share some of the details of your contract. Like do you know where you might be working? Do you work somewhere making desserts for buffets and things or do you go right to the custom cakes department?

I'm on my phone, so I can't direct quote, blah.

I don't know any program details yet besides my dates (April 6 through August 7) and my role title (culinary cook II). I'll know my location once I pay my program fee, which I have to do by the end of business on the 23rd. It's technically the 24th, but I'm telling myself it's the 23rd so I don't miss it. I don't have it available right now, otherwise I would, and I need to eventually book my flight and a hotel for the night before check in.

But yay! Matthew was just as thrilled as I was when I got the news. Our lease for our apartment is up on July 31, so he'll be packing up a moving van that last week, turning in our keys, and driving down. I can't get the time off that late in the program to go home, so he'll have to do it himself or with help from our friends. I'm going to start calling apartment complexes I've bookmarked once I get down there so we can find a place to live, and he's hoping to come visit sometime in June.

Oh, and I do know I won't be working on custom cakes. The chef made a point of mentioning that, since I've been working as a decorator for a couple years now.

I hope you find somewhere suitable to live.

It's all working out, isn't it? I wonder if Disney offer a staff discount for weddings.....

I'm sure we will :) We have time to figure it out.

And yes, it is! I believe they do, but if I remember right, it's just on food and beverage. But who knows, it might change by then.

So do they have housing for you while you're in the program? Or do you need to find an interim place until he comes down and then you move in somewhere together.

I hope you don't have to rely on public transport like you did last time. Or at least you can be somewhere that it's easy to get to your job.

What a pain you two have to live apart for a few months, but hopefully that will just make it even more sweet when you get settled in a place together.

Yes, there are four complexes that Disney owns specifically for the program (Chatham, Vista, Patterson, and the Commons), so I'd be in one of them. They also provide scheduled bus transportation that's just for the CPs, which goes to all work sites and also to Walmart and the grocery store (but I plan on buying a car once I get down there). I was relying on public buses last time because I wasn't living in housing, since my program had ended.

I'm definitely not looking forward to being away from him for four months, but it'll work out in the long run. It's just four months, and we decided that he's going to try and come down halfway through. Plus there's Skype and all that, so we'll make it work.

Glad you'll be getting a car. :thumbsup2

4 months? I hope it goes quickly for the two of you.

I'd need one pretty much regardless. The public bus system there sucks.

I hope it does, too. Hopefully I'll be busy enough to keep from fretting too much.

I have never tried using the public service in Orlando. But I remember the issues you had with it. I think if we get there again, we will continue to hire a car. DME is all very well and good but it keeps you on-property with no where else to spend money but in Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter